Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Trap Shooting

Felt great to get out today. Nice weather. I got in 5 rounds.
I have been having more than a few problems with my Citori. In fact I had a few rounds of 12/25. I was getting very frustrated and not having a bunch of fun. Sure it was nice to go out and BS with the guys, but at the end of the day I still want to break clays. This has been going on since I started shooting again this year. In fact I have found myself coming up with reasons not to go out to the club.

So today I make up my mind that this is "THE DAY" Either I see some improvement or I am going back to my old gun. I purposely haven’t taken it out because I want to learn the new one.
First round I shot 15/25. I was concentrating and trying to do everything correctly. I had a quick chat with Gert (Club manager/teacher/Mentor) we decided to tighten up my choke a bit...
Then I started hammering them, 22/25,23/25,21/25,22/25
Let me tell you I almost floated home. I still have a ways to go, but by the time stampede comes around I want to be up at 95/100.
As for doubles... Who knows, I haven’t had the chance to deal with that.
It's great to be out shooting again, I can’t wait till Wednesday!
First shoot is next weekend, so I need to get in a few more rounds
Very busy at the club today. It seems that trap is really gaining in popularity around these parts.

The offer always stands to come out and shoot a few rounds. Just let me know when you want to come.

Jamie
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
mjmalberta

Default clays

hey there id luv to shoot against you my friends and club members around here dont like to i generally shoot 90 to95 out of a hundred some say i should practice more and goto the summer games or try the olympics i use an old model 12 win and dont feel comfortable with all the so called experts with their expensive guns and equip where do you shoot im in southern alberta
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: clays

MJM

We do all of our shooting at the Calgary Firearms center, it used to be called the Calgary Gun Club. It is about 10 minutes south of Calgary, just off of highway 2.

Although you will find this club has many great shooters and more than a few expensive guns around I have yet to see any sort of attitudes. I think that is the main reason why I was so attracted to the sport. I found this group of people to be very welcoming and open to helping me get started.
Dont worry about your gun, if it goes BANG and you can smile you will fit right in.
Let me know when you would like to go

Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
shotgun

Default Re: clays

Does the club have a website where I could get info on costs, etc. What do they have for ranges? do they have rifle ranges or is it all shotgun.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Answers

Default Answers

Shotgun, not really any sort of Web Page that will help you with those questions.
You can go to www.aheia.com/
That will give you the contact #

Shotguns only
They have plenty of trap fields
Skeet Fields
5 stand sporting clays
Olympic Trap

Joining is about $100/year that includes your membership with AHEIA
Member shoot prices are $5 per round (Or so)
Plenty of guns to try out
Pro shop with ammo sales (No bump to speak of)
Free top notch lessons

Open days are wed and Sundays, unless you are a member, then you can go tues-Sun, (Providing someone is there, usually is)
Plenty of fun shoots and plenty of registered shoots. no volunteer time needed, no work bees and so on.
If all you want to do is shoot, then go at it. If you do want to get involved plenty of opportunities for that

Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions

Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
shotgun

Default Re: Answers

I think I will take a drive out on Sunday if the weather stays bad to check it out. If the the weather good is good me and the Highlander are going to check out some potential new hunting grounds down by Fort Macleod....I am getting the hunting itch real bad and I need to do something related.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Okotokian

I've never experienced any attitude at the Calgary Firearms club. Me and my buddy go, me with my Beretta and he with my old 870 plastic pump. No problem. We join anyone, no one says anything or gives us funny looks as we blast away breaking maybe 18 on a GOOD round LOL.

Now all I've tried there is trap. Don't know of skeet or sporting would be any different. I suspect not. Anyone who can teach me those two?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Jamie Hunt

OKO. Who are you? have we met?
OKO. Gert at the club will gladly show you how. If he is busy the Joey will help. Or phone and make a appoointment I am sure they can try and help you out. Both are good guys

Anyhow. Dad and I shot our warm up shoot this weekend. Dad has come along ways. He won both 16 yards in his division.
Congrats to him. I know last year was bit frustrating for him, but he keeps it up and its starting to show! ( I guess it helps being able to shoot all winter in PHEONIX (CHEATER!!) LOL
Prizes out there have taken a MAJOR jump this year. He won a nice lockable Browning soft case, a Browning duck commander soft cooler and I won (By default) a huge soft sided Browning duck commander cooler/bag. This was a relatively small shoot. I look forward to what’s in the goody bag over the summer.
As for my shooting.............
It's like I have forgot which end of the gun goes bang.
I was dead last in 4 out of 6 events. At first I was thinking it was my new gun. That it just didn’t work for me. So I pulled out my gun from last year.. Same result.. I SUCK
My face is swollen. the inside of my cheek is cut, my shoulder is raw. not so sore, but raw from the constant rubbing.
On the positive side, my son got to enjoy a whole day with his dad at the club. He busied himself with watching the game on Saturday, running out to tell us the scores, being spoiled by every one there and I had to put up with the constant compliments about what a good boy he is . No trouble what so ever. Always stayed safe, always polite and did what others asked of him. Not bad for a 5 year old. My wife couldn’t make it and Dad and I were in the same group. So when we shot he basically was unsupervised. But Mrs. "G" always had a eye on him. Many thanks to her.
He also loves picking up hulls. I paid him $1.50 for picking up the hulls. He ate $10 worth of food. He says we are even.. I say I owe him. It is always fun with 3 generations of us together.
Perhaps next shoot I can find my groove. But until then I just keep practicing.
Not sure if I heard this here.
How do you become a Millionaire shooting trap

Start with 2 Million

Jamie
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 AM
kanonfodder

Perhaps if you put little Oiler stickers on the clays.........