Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Our cops are adequately trained for what they have to do, as they choose to specialize so does the level of training, now they bust their butts catching bad guys/gals but the system is the issue....all I know is they are very busy around this area and if they weren’t out doing their job we would be in a hurt locker real quick.
Someone gets it...
Old 12-28-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Someone gets it...
But if you start with sub standard candidates, training isn't enough. And you did agree with my friend about some of the candidates that are being accepted into the force.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But if you start with sub standard candidates, training isn't enough. And you did agree with my friend about some of the candidates that are being accepted into the force.
Some....like any other work force.....
an unspecified amount or number of...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes.

But not all of them are "sub standard".

As stated before, your friend is in fact right in regards to "some" of the candidates..

Some do not belong in this line of work.

But because of the Government narrative (not RCMP narrative), unfortunately, some of them do get "accepted" into the program.

Having said that, RCMP Depot Division has their own training standards, and they are excellent.

Spoke to a nephew of mine that was off for Xmas few days ago from Depot. He has been in training for the past 2 months.

4 from his troop were sent home already....or back trooped. Rest of the troop are doing quite fine according to the training standards.

Maybe not a training issue...maybe a "political recruiting issue"?

Who knows...

And I still agree with your friend...
Old 12-28-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Yes.

But not all of them are "sub standard".

As stated before, your friend is in fact right in regards to "some" of the candidates..

Some do not belong in this line of work.

But because of the Government narrative (not RCMP narrative), unfortunately, some of them do get "accepted" into the program.

Having said that, RCMP Depot Division has their own training standards, and they are excellent.

Spoke to a nephew of mine that was off for Xmas few days ago from Depot. He has been in training for the past 2 months.

4 from his troop were sent home already....or back trooped. Rest of the troop are doing quite fine according to the training standards.

Maybe not a training issue...maybe a "political recruiting issue"?

Who knows...

And I still agree with your friend...
He did say accepted into the force, not just accepted into training. In other words, several actually made it through their training and became officers. And yes, he mentioned that there was a lot of politics at play as to who was accepted. The people that he felt weren't fit to be officers, generally fit into certain demographics. But regardless of why they are being accepted as officers, the point is that they are being accepted, and are trusted to carry a loaded restricted/prohibited firearm in public.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-28-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
It's training and self discipline

I practiced monthly.

Im betting I went through 50-60 thousand rounds in 25 years.

I knew guys and gals that shot 20-50 rounds per year at their annual qualification and that is it.

I went through a ton of pens and notebooks in 25 years too.......

It all depends on how interested you are in the career and how proficient you choose to be with your equipment. I made my choices and it served me and the community well.

And every single time I pulled the trigger on my handgun or carbine, I meant it.

And there are 8 or 9 people still alive because I viewed my firearms as a last resort, not an option.

One year on my birthday it was -38. This bank robber shot at me twice as I chased him on foot near the railroad tracks on Calgary Trail. Could have shot him many times but didnt because I knew he sucked with a pistol and it just didnt seem fair. He knew he sucked with a pistol too because he dumped it and I caught him. He sucked at fighting too btw....
Thank you for your diligence and service to Edmonton
Old 12-28-2021, 08:18 PM

Its politically incorrect but I don't care.

Mounties should be wearing Mountie HATS
Old 12-28-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It's training and self discipline

I practiced monthly.

Im betting I went through 50-60 thousand rounds in 25 years.

I knew guys and gals that shot 20-50 rounds per year at their annual qualification and that is it.

I went through a ton of pens and notebooks in 25 years too.......

It all depends on how interested you are in the career and how proficient you choose to be with your equipment. I made my choices and it served me and the community well.

And every single time I pulled the trigger on my handgun or carbine, I meant it.

And there are 8 or 9 people still alive because I viewed my firearms as a last resort, not an option.

One year on my birthday it was -38. This bank robber shot at me twice as I chased him on foot near the railroad tracks on Calgary Trail. Could have shot him many times but didnt because I knew he sucked with a pistol and it just didnt seem fair. He knew he sucked with a pistol too because he dumped it and I caught him. He sucked at fighting too btw....
Thanks Sir!
Old 12-28-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Thanks Sir!
Was a long time ago.....at a time when HR was a bottle of rum.....lol
Old 12-28-2021, 11:02 PM

Unfortunately the recruit quality is directly proportional to the number of persons applying. It is not a demographic thing, it is purely a numbers game.

Lets says the RCMP needs to hire 10 people. The concept is to have those 10 people represent the population of Canada. So right off the bat, 5 are male and 5 are female. Also 6 need to be white, 1 needs to be native, and 3 need be other minorities.

Here's the problem

For the 3 whites male positions, 200 applied
For the 3 white female positions, 80 applied
For the 3 minorities positions, 30 applied
For the 1 native position, 5 applied.

So it really is a numbers game, the more applicants you have, the higher you can set the standards for acceptance.

But right now, every police force is having trouble filling their recruit classes even with the lower standards being applied.

And it is going to get a lot worst as police forces are bracing for mass retirements as soon as Covid is over. There is a lot of 20+ year Members that have gotten very use to working from home and have no desire to return to the office.

Couple that with with the constant attacks by the media and social media and the whole "defund the police movement". Who the heck in their right mind would want to become a police officer in today's environment?
Old 12-28-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Unfortunately the recruit quality is directly proportional to the number of persons applying. It is not a demographic thing, it is purely a numbers game.

Lets says the RCMP needs to hire 10 people. The concept is to have those 10 people represent the population of Canada. So right off the bat, 5 are male and 5 are female. Also 6 need to be white, 1 needs to be native, and 3 need be other minorities.

Here's the problem

So it really is a numbers game, the more applicants you have, the higher you can set the standards for acceptance.

But right now, every police force is having trouble filling their recruit classes even with the lower standards being applied.

And it is going to get a lot worst as police forces are bracing for mass retirements as soon as Covid is over. There is a lot of 20+ year Members that have gotten very use to working from home and have no desire to return to the office.

Couple that with with the constant attacks by the media and social media and the whole "defund the police movement". Who the heck in their right mind would want to become a police officer in today's environment?

This right here, and some on AO here are in this category
Glad my son went Fire Department
Old 12-29-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Here's the problem

The fact that they consider demographics rather than just hiring the best candidates, is a demographics thing.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Imagine owning a business

You need 100 people. 1000 people apply.

Makes sense to test, evaluate, background, aptitude, polygraph, then hire the top 100

Could be all females. Great. Could be all males. Great. Could be all people from Tibet. Great. But you hired the top 100.

Then people who didnt make the cut complain. Call you racist, biased, etc.....

So you cut 20 of your top 100 to appease.....

Ridiculous. The top people should get the job. Period. You want the job? Better yourself. Be better than the next guy. The very second you decide your race matters, you are the true racist.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 12-29-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Imagine owning a business

You need 100 people. 1000 people apply.

Makes sense to test, evaluate, background, aptitude, polygraph, then hire the top 100

Could be all females. Great. Could be all males. Great. Could be all people from Tibet. Great. But you hired the top 100.

Then people who didnt make the cut complain. Call you racist, biased, etc.....

So you cut 20 of your top 100 to appease.....

Ridiculous. The top people should get the job. Period. You want the job? Better yourself. Be better than the next guy. The very second you decide your race matters, you are the true racist.
Exactly! I did a lot of hiring, and HR did try to pressure me into hiring lesser qualified people, but I resisted their pressure, and when they went to my manager to complain, he made it clear that I was the one doing the hiring for his area. And after my manager reminded them that another area hired one of the people they wanted me to hire and she failed the entrance drug test, they stopped trying to pressure me, and tried to influence the new leaders that were easier to intimidate.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The fact that they consider demographics rather than just hiring the best candidates, is a demographics thing.
That is not what I was referring to. What I was saying is, that it is the lack of applicants in each demographic that lowers the quality of the successful candidates.

To put it another way

If 300 applied for the 3 white male positions
If 300 applied for the 3 white female positions
If 300 applied for the 3 minority positions
and
If 100 applied for the 1 native position

I believe you would have 10 applicants that are equally qualified.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
That is not what I was referring to. What I was saying is, that it is the lack of applicants in each demographic that lowers the quality of the successful candidates.

To put it another way

If 300 applied for the 3 white male positions
If 300 applied for the 3 white female positions
If 300 applied for the 3 minority positions
and
If 100 applied for the 1 native position

I believe you would have 10 applicants that are equally qualified.
And yet Phil agrees with my ex RCMP friend, that they are accepting candidates into the force that aren't qualified.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
And yet Phil agrees with my ex RCMP friend, that they are accepting candidates into the force that aren't qualified.:thinkin g-006:
I will try to explain this another way.

Every RCMP applicant must meet the minimum requirements for engagement prior to being accepted a Depot. These minimums are fairly low and rarely will an applicant be accepted on the bare minimums.

But if the number of applicants continues to decrease, and the number of retirements and new positions increase, then applicants being accepted on the bare minimums could definitely happen.

If you go back to my 1st post (the numbers are just for examples purposes)

Let's say the application process is scored out of 10.

Because there was 200 white males applying for the 3 position, you were able to identify three applicants that all scored 10.

With the 3 white female positions, you were only able to identify one applicant that scored 10 and two that scored 9

The 3 minority positions, again because there is less applicants, you only identifies one applicant that scores 9 and two that score 8.

The same applies for the one native position.

But they still need to fill those 10 positions.

So the best candidates from each demographic will be selected for the positions reserved for that demographic.

So like a said before, it is a numbers game.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
And yet Phil agrees with my ex RCMP friend, that they are accepting candidates into the force that aren't qualified.
And when your friend showed up at depot 35 years ago as a recruit, the experienced Members at that time, were also complaining that recruits weren't what they use to be.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
And when your friend showed up at depot 35 years ago as a recruit, the experienced Members at that time, were also complaining that recruits weren't what they use to be.

Exactly….stop it Elk your record playing over and over about how bad the LEO’s etc is sad….time to change the needle and put on a new record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-29-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Exactly….stop it Elk your record playing over and over about how bad the LEO’s etc is sad….time to change the needle and put on a new record.

At no point have I posted that all LEOs, or even the majority were sub standard. What I have pointed out is that some are sub standard and the forces often defend, or cover up for these sub standard officers , rather than holding them accountable. And incidents like High River, the Vancouver Airport incident, and the Nova Scotia firehall incident result in more and more public mistrust of the entire force. It's not that people just wake up one day and declare that they don't trust the police, the mostrust is usually based on past incidents.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
At no point have I posted that all LEOs, or even the majority were sub standard. What I have pointed out is that some are sub standard and the forces often defend, or cover up for these sub standard officers , rather than holding them accountable. And incidents like High River, the Vancouver Airport incident, and the Nova Scotia firehall incident result in more and more public mistrust of the entire force. It's not that people just wake up one day and declare that they don't trust the police, the mostrust is usually based on past incidents.

Nope just a small portion of the population that have a social media platform kinda like what is going on here thankfully the subject gets replaced by that one bloody cloud that shows up on a sunny day and there is something else to complain about!

Old 12-29-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Nope just a small portion of the population that have a social media platform kinda like what is going on here thankfully the subject gets replaced by that one bloody cloud that shows up on a sunny day and there is something else to complain about!

Isn't that the sad truth
Old 12-29-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Give it up my friend...

This thread has FA to do with these incidents you keep bringing back over and over and over and over and over again...

Stick to the narrative...