Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I'm certain ice snow and dirt build up is not specifically covered by warranty.

My truck on a snow day can get 4" deep on the tailgate and rear bumper, not a lot will help that.
Thanks Ken. Looks like it takes a guy who experienced it first hand to understand what I'm talking about. I drove from Ft. McM a couple of weeks ago, when I got to Edmonton the back of my truck was uniform flat surface about 1.5" deep.
The rest of the city slickers are just like Google - just a couple of million of pages of suggestions
Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Default Vehicle back-up/proximity sensors in the winter

Have you tried this product?

https://www.rainx.com/product/rain-x...llent-trigger/

Disclaimer: I haven’t tried it myself, don’t have any sensors on my current vehicles.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:48 PM

Stinky Buffalo Thanks, i'll give it a shot.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:59 AM

Have sensors on three vehicles. The ones on my 2006 are the least suceptible to this issue but it also doesn't get driven in winter and summer road gunk doesn't seem as bad. On the 2020 and 2021 have tried Rainx, WD40, Silicone, lithium grease, dialectic grease and car wax. Nothing stops them from gumming up and you have to be really careful cleaning them off, if you scratch the sensor face enough they will start acting up. Mine only false alert below a set speed but I find the warning screen annoying so I have taken to just shutting them off when that happens. Will be very interested to see if anyone comes up with a fix.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:02 AM

Very true, Dean2. Those things are very sensitive.

Have a friend in the bodywork business and we were talking about how expensive it is to repair modern cars. He brought up those sensors, and said that one has to be especially careful painting around them. He said that even a few microns difference is enough to cause issues.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM

Exclamation Spitballin' ideas

Sounds to me like you guys are trying to put lipstick on a pig.
The proper solution to iced up sensors is heat. The manufacturers could install sensors with a heater circuit that could be relay controlled by the existing ambient sensing thermostat. Or, maybe heated mounting bushings (donuts) would be easier than heated sensors?
The combined parasitic electrical load (ie. fuel consumption) would likely be offset in newer vehicles by the energy savings of the new LED light sources versus the conventional resistive load lighting.
Bonus- once we go full EV, there will be plenty of electrical power available to run everything!

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-29-2021, 10:52 AM

I like the idea of pump and spray nozzle. I had one on my 63 Pontiac only had a bottle of Scotch/Rye with small nozzle under the dash. Never had a problem having RCMP take my liquior away at Lakeview dances.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:55 AM

You can paint over the bumper sensors.

As far as keeping them clean and working properly in this weather, let me know what you come up with so I can do it to my whole car.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
As far as keeping them clean and working properly in this weather, let me know what you come up with so I can do it to my whole car.

Wow, this really put things into the perspective. You, sir, are an eye opener.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post

You know AK77, that kind of attitude isn't going to win you many friends. This is a forum, some guys will post stuff that is meant to be humorous or entertaining, others will post stuff completely off topic. They do NOT detract from a thread, they actually help keep it higher on the page. Try to enjoy the fun part, as well as the getting the answer part, which so far, doesn't seem to be forthcoming and after all the things I have tried, I am not holding my breath that anyone has a fool proof idea.

It is nearly a New Year. put on a smiley and have some fun.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You know AK77, that kind of attitude isn't going to win you many friends. This is a forum, some guys will post stuff that is meant to be humorous or entertaining, others will post stuff completely off topic. They do NOT detract from a thread, they actually help keep it higher on the page. Try to enjoy the fun part, as well as the getting the answer part, which so far, doesn't seem to be forthcoming and after all the things I have tried, I am not holding my breath that anyone has a fool proof idea.

It is nearly a New Year. put on a smiley and have some fun.
My remark was as sincere as they get. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or smart-аssy. What he said was actual eye opener. If such substance existed coating the vehicle with it would render washing absolete. Since car-wash business are flourishing (according to another thread) obviously my quest for non-beeping driving is pointless.

Happy NY to you too. Written with the smile on my face.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
My remark was as sincere as they get. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or smart-аssy. What he said was actual eye opener. If such substance existed coating the vehicle with it would render washing absolete. Since car-wash business are flourishing (according to another thread) obviously my quest for non-beeping driving is pointless.

Happy NY to you too. Written with the smile on my face.
Fair enough. I completely misread what you were saying based on a number of your earlier comments in this thread. Closest thing I have seen to shedding gunk is ceramic coatings on paint and even that stuff doesn't work near as well as the advertisements says it does.

Was out today, truck perfectly clean and stored in heated garage. After a couple of hours out side, between frozen front sensors and a tiny amount of frost was getting intermittent error codes saying park sense not available on front. Pulled into garage and they were still perfectly clean. Thet were working again when I pulled into the garage.

Seems like a lot of modern features and accessories don't work good in real cold weather. The auto fold mirrors on the Jeep don't work right at -35. When they redeploy in real cold they keep going all the way forward. Dont work right till they warm back up. Turned them off too.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
What about a thin film of lubricant over the sensors? Clean em up good, quick spritz of silicone, lock or hinge lubricant, even WD40 might help keep ice from packing on. It’ll wear off quickly on slushy days, but it’ll stick well in frigid cold.

No sensors on my pickup but I do make use of these things to keep the fuel filler door and tailgate hinges from icing up in the winter
That's what I was thinking, a little shot of WD-40 or even cooking spray.

Put that cooking spray on your door rubbers and they will never freeze up in the winter, even if you wash your vehicle in this cold.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I can clean my backup camera and wipe off my back bumper, then drive to the store and back. Backing into my driveway my car keeps beeping telling me people are coming from either side.

The issue I was referring to also is my back window defrost melts snow and ice and it bridges over the bottom of the back window and trunk lid. It gets probably an inch thick of solid ice. Then I can't open the darn trunk. I don't park in a heated garage so this is a winter long issue.

I don't know if all cars do this or not. I've always driven a truck. I just bought the car to commute. And I actually love driving the car. I'm still a truck guy tho! Lol.

All first world problems that I forget about when I get into the house.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:43 PM

Try Rain X on them. It helps repel rain water and works on most lenses. Might help prevent the build up. It works on my radar controlled cruise lens.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors