Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2022, 04:50 PM

Default Camping in montana

So me and the family are planning on going down to kalispel probably going through glaciers national park or at least into it. What are some of the family friendly (kids are smaller <8) places or things would you guys recommend? I’m thinking so far staying around flathead lake for a while and maybe a day at big sky water park but wouldn’t mind perhaps a few other gems for either places or activities.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:59 PM

I would try to plan the route via Going to the Sun if the family has not traveled it before.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 PM

Waterslides in Columbia Falls is good.
Maze complex in Coram is worth a visit. (Distillery next door for older kids)
Alpine slides on top of ski hill...a little expensive in my mind though.

Moose's for lunch in Kalispell is one of our girls favourites.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:37 AM

If you are going to go over the sun into Glacier National you will need a reservation for your car which go up on the website at 8am the day before.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:54 AM

Also, can't drag a trailer on the going to the sun road.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:22 PM

Miracle of america museum by polson on south end of lake is really cool
Old 07-26-2022, 12:49 PM

Norm's News in Kalispell is awesome for an old school shake, burger, and fries. Was my favourite place growing up.

Lonepine State Park is a very nice, easy going hiking area.

The village of Bigfork usually has some cool things going on during the weekends. Same as whitefish.

Mountain activities at whitefish, but expensive (ziplines, downhill biking, slides I think)

Water park always good

There is a maze near the town of coram, they have mini golf and bumper cars as well. Haven't been that way this summer to see if they are still open

Make sure to buy fresh fruit at the stands on side of the road. Their cherries and huckleberries are very good
Old 07-28-2022, 08:48 AM

I stayed at Beavertail Hill State Park a few years back. It's SE of Missoula. It was a nice campground right on the Clark Fork River. There was a pond nearby with trout, sunfish, and perch in it.

If you do make it this way, there was a REALLY cool place we found right on the highway. A crystal clear, spring fed, deep pond that all the locals swim in. We got there early and there were BIG trout swimming in there too, but I had left my fishing stuff back at camp as we were just going for a swim.

I looked it up on Google Earth and you can find it on there. It says Nimrod Hot Springs is further up the mountain.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:01 PM

I just got back from our trip to Missoula.
We were unable to get a vehicle reservation for Going-To-The-Sun Road on our way down (They disappear in about 3 minutes) but we snagged on our way back. If you want to take this road, I'd recommend everyone in your family create an account, and at 7:58 the day before, get logged in and start refreshing the page so you can maximize your chances of getting the vehicle reservation.
The road was beautiful when we got on it. Blue bird skies, and you could see for miles.
Almost missed the border crossing at Carway though! made it there at 5:49 and it closes at 6! tight race haha.
Flathead lake is a beautiful spot, anywhere around there would be a good spot to stay. Lots of breweries and roadside attractions. I did the waterslides at Columbia Falls a couple of years back. They're built into the hills, so minimal stairs, just a trail leading to the top.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys keep them coming, there’s a few places I’ll have to check out.