Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2022, 10:44 AM

Default 26 year old worker dead at Suncor Base Mine, 5th death at Suncor site since 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rray-1.6513626

Quote:
An investigation is underway after a 26-year-old contractor died early Thursday after being struck by equipment at Suncor's Base Mine near Fort McMurray, Alta.

A Komatsu employee was pronounced dead early Thursday morning at a shovel maintenance pad in the mine, Suncor said in a statement sent to news media Thursday evening. RCMP said the incident occurred around 3 a.m.

"This is a tragic incident," Suncor spokesperson Leithan Slade said in an interview Thursday.

"We do extend our deepest condolences to the family and the friends and the co-workers of this individual, and we'll be launching a full investigation to find out what happened."

Occupational Health and Safety is investigating the man's death, a spokesperson for Alberta Labour and Immigration said.

Thursday's death was the fifth workplace fatality at a Suncor site in Alberta since 2021.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:53 AM

Thats a lot of deaths i such a short time,safety must be lagging somehow.My condolences to the workers family.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Thats a lot of deaths i such a short time,safety must be lagging somehow.My condolences to the contractor.
I work for one of the biggest oil producers in that area and sometimes no matter how safe you are, things happen. Alot of sites it is contractors deaths not direct employees so safety programs are different.

Some sites try and implement so much safety that is actually makes the job harder and more difficult because you have safety people in a office who have never done the job but make the rules.

Fort Mcmurray area makes the big news every time someone is killed but has anyone looked up the number of trench deaths every year? That does not get nearly as much attention.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:08 PM

My deepest condolences to the effected family and co workers.
I was born and raised in Fort mac I was working at 16 on site. Through a work program. I have 24 years of heavy oil experience and several of those was and is working directly with plant employees and I can say in all my years its the plants direct employees who cut corners and take shortcuts. They have a grace given to them for messing up contractors are fired on the spot. Sure there are gonna be instances were @#$% happens but by and large if the actual employee of the plant were held accountable alot of this wouldn't happen.
My own father followed all the rules and systems were not maintained he was almost burned to death in a massive Coker fire. No accountability whats so ever. Many people are seriously maimed and injured every month and it never gets put in the news.
Stay safe out there its gonna get worse.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:54 AM

Ceo stepping down …. This probably not the real reason, but the news made the headline seem like it.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Ceo stepping down …. This probably not the real reason, but the news made the headline seem like it.
He is a dirtbag. Cut everyone's wages, cut pension, took a massive pay hike. Everyone there hates him with huge distain. He needed to go.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-09-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Elliot investment was the driver on that one
Old 07-10-2022, 09:41 AM

I worked for large number of majors in Alberta. Dow had highest safety standards, followed by Syncrude. Suncor was quite far down the safety rating scale.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I worked for large number of majors in Alberta. Dow had highest safety standards, followed by Syncrude. Suncor was quite far down the safety rating scale.
Suncor now got Syncrude as well as Petrocanada under their operation and if they replace all union contractors what they a planning with nonunion then they will be on news for fatalities even more often- just my opinion
Old 07-28-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I work for one of the biggest oil producers in that area and sometimes no matter how safe you are, things happen. Alot of sites it is contractors deaths not direct employees so safety programs are different.

Some sites try and implement so much safety that is actually makes the job harder and more difficult because you have safety people in a office who have never done the job but make the rules.

Fort Mcmurray area makes the big news every time someone is killed but has anyone looked up the number of trench deaths every year? That does not get nearly as much attention.
I worked at both sites for many years. My father worked at Suncor for 35 years.
Yes Fort McMurray is big news when there is a work place death. Wonder why there is less workplace deaths. Across the street ? It’s always been Suncor in the past. Must be a different safety culture across the way I guess….
Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 PM

So just wanted to say it was a Komatsu employee and not a Suncor although it did happen on Suncors site. We had a meeting about it. From what we understand a lifted line/load fell and struck the poor guy. If anyone here has worked on shovels you will have an idea what could have have happened as they were working on the cable section of the boom.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:51 AM

Very sad having a 26 yr old losing their life on the job . Condolences to all the family and friends...
Old 07-30-2022, 12:35 PM

Company need a complete culture change. Means all senior management in the chain should be replaced. Everyone needs to firmly follow stronger safety protocols.

Sadly… when senior management screws up… they get golden parachutes.

Family of the deceased… gets a funeral.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-30-2022, 08:25 PM

Rip.