Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 05:24 PM

Default Loydminster truck

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...90335989098205

I looked at the guys profile & it looks like a sister (?) says hacked ?

Anyone over there can check it out for me ?
I'm in Westlock. If you can do so, shoot me a PM & I'll give my cell number.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2023, 10:54 PM

That seems a bit too good to be true in the current market. Heck of a nice truck
Old 02-01-2023, 06:30 AM

Price is close to what I've been seeing. A bit high for the year & KM though.

I sent a PM to Ken to see if he can help. Would be nice to run the VIN though.....so many scams on line now I'm gun shy.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:19 AM

Not sure where you're seeing anything about hacked? I looked at "view main profile" and it looks like a pretty legit person. The ad seems well put together with lots of pictures, I would call this one a pretty safe bet it's the real deal. I get it though, I've been through a lot of vehicles on marketplace and seen a lot of scams. If he'll send you a vin then that's your telltale.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 AM

The pictures were taken in the Lloyd Husky North carwash for sure, message them for the VIN
Old 02-01-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Not sure where you're seeing anything about hacked? I looked at "view main profile" and it looks like a pretty legit person. The ad seems well put together with lots of pictures, I would call this one a pretty safe bet it's the real deal. I get it though, I've been through a lot of vehicles on marketplace and seen a lot of scams. If he'll send you a vin then that's your telltale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The pictures were taken in the Lloyd Husky North carwash for sure, message them for the VIN

Asked for a pic of the VIN. See what happens....
Old 02-01-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Asked for a pic of the VIN. See what happens....
Generally on anything for expensive then $2k I've always asked straight up for the car proof report. If they don't send me one it makes me think they're hiding something or aren't serious about selling.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:09 AM

From the other perspective if I am selling a vehicle I am not going to be giving the VIN # or Car proof report to people I don’t know. I am perfectly fine taking it to the shop of their choice for inspection - it shows they are serious about buying. Buyer pays for the inspection.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:59 AM

Some people don't like giving the VIN out, some people cover their license plates in pictures. I figure it it's something people can see in the Costco parking lot when my car is parked their, who cares, but it could be a perfectly legitimate deal and they be hesitant to give the VIN.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:52 AM

It's a third or fourth time you're posting about this particular truck. If you're so hesitant, why keep beating the dead horse? Move on
Old 02-01-2023, 10:22 AM
AO Sponsor

In this day and age I am not giving out a VIN or anything via a text or online with someone I do not know. You want to check it out, come by and have a look. Bring your drivers license too so I can make sure you are who you say you are. Want a proper inspection? No problem, set it up at a shop of your choosing and I will take it there and wait while it is being done.

Too many scammers out there on the buying end I don't give a hoot if someone says I have to do something or they will walk. Walk... Fine by me.

Sellers can be scammy too but in the end, it is a lot easier to protect yourself as a buyer to avoided being taken than as a seller.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-01-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
In this day and age I am not giving out a VIN or anything via a text or online with someone I do not know. You want to check it out, come by and have a look. Bring your drivers license too so I can make sure you are who you say you are. Want a proper inspection? No problem, set it up at a shop of your choosing and I will take it there and wait while it is being done.

Too many scammers out there on the buying end I don't give a hoot if someone says I have to do something or they will walk. Walk... Fine by me.

Sellers can be scammy too but in the end, it is a lot easier to protect yourself as a buyer to avoided being taken than as a seller.
This ^^^^^.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Generally on anything for expensive then $2k I've always asked straight up for the car proof report. If they don't send me one it makes me think they're hiding something or aren't serious about selling.

I've never sent a buyer a carfax and I've successfully sold lots of vehicles but I have no issues sending the VIN. It's the buyer's due diligence to do...
Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I've never sent a buyer a carfax and I've successfully sold lots of vehicles but I have no issues sending the VIN. It's the buyer's due diligence to do...
scammers have fake car faxes many a time... If I am buying a car and want a car fax I will get it done myself, even if you have one in hand pre-done. If the buyer wants it, just like an inspection, that cost is on them.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-01-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

Know the VIN? You can locate the vehicle, unlock the doors and start the engine, all via the internet...

https://samcurry.net/web-hackers-vs-the-auto-industry/

Not on an old truck of course, but keep it in mind when buying a new vehicle with all the bells and whistles.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Know the VIN? You can locate the vehicle, unlock the doors and start the engine, all via the internet...

https://samcurry.net/web-hackers-vs-the-auto-industry/

Not on an old truck of course, but keep it in mind when buying a new vehicle with all the bells and whistles.

ARG
Yeah I don't understand this paranoia at all unless you happen to own some really rare, exotic, in-demand vehicle. Otherwise, someone can walk up to virtually any vehicle out there and freely read the VIN off the dash. Don't think they need to try and trick someone selling their vehicle online for it when they could simply walk into any street or parking lot.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:20 PM

A message to be forwarded from Ken: The truck's not worth 10g, phone # is a Toronto number. Run away fast is my advice.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah I don't understand this paranoia at all unless you happen to own some really rare, exotic, in-demand vehicle. Otherwise, someone can walk up to virtually any vehicle out there and freely read the VIN off the dash. Don't think they need to try and trick someone selling their vehicle online for it when they could simply walk into any street or parking lot.
Exactly. If it was that easy they'd just be shopping the dealerships, pick whatever new vehicle they wanted.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Exactly. If it was that easy they'd just be shopping the dealerships, pick whatever new vehicle they wanted.
So true..

Just like the people who are paranoid of having their LIC plates shown in pictures.. lol. U do know everyone behind you while driving can "steal your plate number".. lol
Old 02-02-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
A message to be forwarded from Ken: The truck's not worth 10g, phone # is a Toronto number. Run away fast is my advice.
Done