Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterj View Post
Great tips! I am also a new 5th wheel guy, have a 25 footer. I bought a short one so I can eventually tow a boat behind it. Any tips for this?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Good you have the short fifth for a double tow. Before my toyhauler, I had a 30 foot Cougar fithwheel and a 14 foot tiltdeck I towed behind with the boys dirtbikes and the genny. Worked for me for a few years as it really only went to the Livingston mountains for fishing and riding and Mclean creek.
Backing that train up was fun! I usually disconnected the flatdeck and then the fifthwheel. It was a single axle and even loaded light so it jumped around on the back roads.
There is a max length for double towing and it can only be with a fifthwheel so check into that. Also, It is legal in Alberta but not is all provinces.
Good luck. Nice trailer ..... take awning in!!!!!
Old 03-16-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
Just bought a fifth wheel for camping , with two kids and the wife I can’t tent it anymore , it’s too much . I have experience hauling pull behind trailers and Quad trailers and such but never a fifth wheel … just got an auto slide hitch . Any tips or tricks in general from some of you more experienced RV-ers out there . I’ve just been researching and learning as I go . I guess I’ll have to teach the old lady how to signal me to back in … that sounds fun 😕
I switched to a fifth wheel a few years back because we wanted to buy my Fathernlaw's trailer and truck. Before I went anywhere, I took 2 pylons and went to a parking lot and practiced backing into spots. Totally different than a pull behind that's for sure.