Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 09:22 PM

First issue can you or a spouse manage money. if not everyone will be happier with less living at home 8-5. Made payments on my farm running cats while the wife never saw me for months, not everyone can handle that.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:58 AM

Any heavy truck guys looking for work pm me. Good pay, good company, good team. In Lloydminster. Move here and you can be home every night.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
I’d start with getting all your safety tickets before even applying.

Are you wanting to do shop or field work?
I would let the future employer pay for those, some of those can be pretty spendy and you never know which ones you will need. A lot of companies have in-house training too so you might end up spending good money on a coarse you don't need or could of got from the company for free via in-house training or from a safety company.

I've been in Oil & Gas for about 25 years now, mostly dredging and dewatering. Been with sub contractors the whole time. Spent a lot of time cutting my teeth with CEDA and Clean Harbors.

The good thing about working for a big multinational company is if one division gets slow there's always work in other divisions.

Companies like them are always hiring and if you have some brain cells to bang together and are willing to put in the work you can move up the chain fairly quick.

When we were dredging the ponds at Hintons Pulp mill I went from gas runner to running 4 centrifuges in less than a month where some guys were stuck on the small 2 centrifuge unit for 4 months and just couldn't figure it out. I leapfrogged over a few guys that weren't too happy but whatever, do better! They were REALLY upset when I made Supervisor. Whatever, I'm there to work, not poke the puppy and just do the least amount of work possible like so many guys these days.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Gotta disagree hard on this one. If you have a strong relationship with your wife it is totally doable. I work with hundreds of family men and the majority make it work just fine. For me, I moved my family with me to Fort mcmurray and wouldn’t have it any other way. I get the best of both, the money, the shift work/equal time off, and home each night with my wife and kids. There is not another 9-5 job in this world where a tradesperson can be bringing home $9-10k per month for 170 hours on the clock WITH those benefits. If there is, show me and I will eat crow.
The OIL patch is not Fort Mack. Fort mack is nine to five compared to the patch.

2 weeks in, 5 days off (If your lucky and they don't need extra hands) 70 plus hours a week. 3-6 months of break up (that means no money). Sleeping in your truck or a cheap hotel in some small town, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. YUP it is NOT fort Mack.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.