Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 10:44 PM

Hint if you're taking the class 3 test. Have the truck about 1/4 to 1/3 full. Makes shifting much easier.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
There is a lot of skill needed to be a safe and proficient driver. I think learning proper pre trip inspection is as important the driving portion of testing. Air brake endorsement is needed also. I am guessing, but would think all in you would be around 3500.00 in training costs.
As usual best info would be from the places that train.
As a mechanic, I've never seen a steering wheel holder that even attempts a pretrip. When I worked for a logistics company I removed the dipsticks out of two of the trucks driven by a couple old guys that "new everything and had forgotten more than I'll ever know". A month later they were pretty quiet when I showed them they had no dipsticks for the previous month that they swore up and down that they had checked daily.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Spent a little time on the 5 and 4 it took some getting used to even after 13 speed's and 18 speed transmissions. They say the Mack Triplex is a challenge as well but thus far I have never had the chance to be around one. D.H.
MAck 3 Speed auxiliary was the smoothest and best shifting transmissions ever.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
I completed my class 1 at Portage college. It cost just over $10,000. I had 6 days in class (MELT program), 2 days in yard and 52 hours of driving.

Class 3 program is 18 hours of driving/ in yard training. The class three costs $2500 which includes the air brakes endorsement.
Got my D license in 1958 with just a written test, class B in 1959 just a written test and my class A in 1960 with just a written test. Each test took about 15 minutes. I gave up my class 1 last year When I turned 80.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post

So to the op, get the class 3 now and wait because the class 1 rules might improve soon.
After talking with my insurance broker, it is extremely costly to try to insure a new class 1 driver right now. Most companies don't wanna insure someone with less than 3 years experience. The way to get around this is to get insured with a class 3 for 3 years, then the nsurance companies will look at you as you will have 3 years experience.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:45 AM

Just a little tidbit. You can have a class 5 lic. with a Q endorsement but limited to a single axle. So your max load weight is not that great. Class 3 with Q endorsement will allow up to a 7 ton tandem axle. Obviously a greater payload. Years ago (1978) when living in Manitoba I met some friends that their parents had farms and the sons would drive their semi trucks and grain trailers. Some of the boys were as young as 14. They said as long as they were going from field to silo there was no problem with not having an air brake.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:01 AM

From AMA If you are required to operate air brake equipped vehicles, you must pass the Air Brake (Q) Endorsement. When you check-in for your road test, be sure to bring:

Copy of your Vision Assessment
Verification of completion of the Class 3 knowledge and Air Brake (Q) endorsement (if applicable) knowledge tests. I talked to a driving tester a few years back and was basically told this, so you you cant drive a air brake truck during the test using the testers Q and get yours after the fact.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:31 AM

When you go for a class one licence through a driving school, why do they not teach the students to drain their air tanks in sequence? I was told by one student it's not required. Even the Provincial testers don't expect it. To me it is an important part of your pre-trip. Do it daily and you expel any moisture and other possible contaminants out of your brake system. It can also give an early indication of a compressor problem of oil in your system. Make sure your have at least 100 psi to push out any moisture. Unless you have an AD-IS or AD-IP air brake system they say you only need to do it every couple weeks. That I would believe depending on your driving and job. If you are stop and go all the time do it daily. My thoughts on this.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:59 PM

Tip for the medical exams. I need every two years for class 1 but doctor told me just to combine an annual medical along with the class 1 paperwork and it’s free. Bonus is it makes you get a regular medical which probalbly isn’t that bad for a guy as he ages.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:43 PM

Just thought I'd revive this thread with a bit of an update as there is alot of info in this thread, some of it accurate and some of it a bit off. If you've got a full Class 5 and are over 18, to get your Class 3 you need to:

-Take a Knowledge Test. This is a 30 question multiple choice exam, take it at a registry office, and costs $17.00. You can take it as many times as you want, just once per day;

-Pass a vision test;

-Pass a Road Test. Costs $155.00.

That's it. No MELT required for Class 3.

If it's a farm registered Class 3 vehicle, Q Endorsement is not required (but does come recommended). If it's Class 1, regardless of registration, Q is required. If it's Class 3, not farm registered, and uses air brakes, Q is required.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:05 AM

I am doing an airbrakes course for my Q endorsement tomorrow. I'll also update everyone on my experience with it.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Just thought I'd revive this thread with a bit of an update as there is alot of info in this thread, some of it accurate and some of it a bit off. If you've got a full Class 5 and are over 18, to get your Class 3 you need to:

-Take a Knowledge Test. This is a 30 question multiple choice exam, take it at a registry office, and costs $17.00. You can take it as many times as you want, just once per day;

-Pass a vision test;

-Pass a Road Test. Costs $155.00.

That's it. No MELT required for Class 3.

If it's a farm registered Class 3 vehicle, Q Endorsement is not required (but does come recommended). If it's Class 1, regardless of registration, Q is required. If it's Class 3, not farm registered, and uses air brakes, Q is required.
If you use a auto trans for class 3 road test does it become a condition on your class 3 license that you can only drive auto trans equipped vehicles?
Old 03-18-2023, 08:27 AM

Driver examiner told me I could not use my own farm truck on air without a air endorsement for the road test.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If you use a auto trans for class 3 road test does it become a condition on your class 3 license that you can only drive auto trans equipped vehicles?
Definitely does for Class 1, don't know about Class 3. It specifies Class 1, and not Class 3, so I don't think so, but I'm not certain either way.

Last edited by Trochu; 03-18-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Driver examiner told me I could not use my own farm truck on air without a air endorsement for the road test.
If for Class 3, I'd suggest your instructor was wrong, unless this was awhile ago. It's pretty clear it's currently not required.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:34 AM

Local driver training place as I read it is 16 hours for $2550 and only prepares you for the road test, can you take a course and have your class 3 at the end?
Old 03-18-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If for Class 3, I'd suggest your instructor was wrong, unless this was awhile ago. It's pretty clear it's currently not required.
Was a few years ago, its pretty clear after the fact, you better ask the examiner first, he is the one signing off.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
© 2023 Government of Alberta Driver licensing changes

Starting February 1, 2023 a road test will no longer be required to obtain a Class 4 driver’s licence, which is required to transport passengers in taxis, ride-share vehicles, limousines, small buses and ambulances. Additionally, Class 1 drivers will have the option to take the Class 1 road test in an automatic or a manual transmission truck. Starting in spring 2023, Alberta will no longer require the advanced road test for Class 5 and Class 6 Graduated Driver’s Licences (GDL).

That was from one of the Alberta Government Sites. (This might be the same for a Class 3) Call a Motor Vehicle office to confirm

The City of Calgary would quite often upgrade some of their employees class of licence from a class 5 to a class 3. I was involved for a few years preparing them for the upgrade by doing driver training and scoring on road tests.
It got to a point that they considered trying to get a restriction on their class 3 licence for automatic transmissions only (didn't happen). Reason being some would leave the city and work elsewhere. The city paid for the instructor, the air brake Q endorsement through their own classes and supplied the vehicle. Lots of investment.