Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Any thoughts Global warming

newsbusters.org/node/11640

Jamie
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Southb

No thoughts life is to short I am going to let the next generation worry about it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
sheep hunter

No doubt it's happening and no doubt man caused it but not sure we can really do anything about it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Pappy in AB

Climate change is happening.........the cause has not been determined in my books.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Kev

I'm planting bananas this year. Hope to have a solid 40 frost free days.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 AM
newatthis

Default NONE of that crap here in Texas

snow 1 week ago in FT worth and was 38 this morning and yesterday morning was 36 with a 30 MPH wind almost all day. I think it finally made it to 48 yesterday though. And this is what day of the year?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 AM
rugatika

Well...I hate to get into the whole thing again, but I can't let someone say there is no doubt it was caused by man. There is LOTSA doubt about global warming being caused by man.

If global warming is caused by man, then how did the kilometer thick glacier that once covered all of Western Canada disappear?? The current global warming is a continuation of a trend that has been going on for the last 18000 years despite what Gorizuki would have people believe.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Grizzly Adams

I just finished a book by the Arctic explorer Viljamur Stefansson, written in 1938, about the fate of the advanced European presence in Greenland from about 870 to the late 1500's. Ever wonder why the discoverer called it Greenland? Seems things got really cold and they just dissapeared. :rollin How quickly we forget.
Grizz
Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Dan

not suprising, the same old people jump on any new people that want to discuss this issue that will be around for a while.

I think rug and adams said all you can say on the other post, why not let some new thoughts and opinions run and stay off this thread.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
grandzillaa

All I saw this year was 7 months of snow where I live. As for this so called "global warming", ha people are likely to die of a heart attack worrying about it, rather than die from some.... Well we can worry our selfs sick but what good is worry anyways...and alot of what we worry about rarly ever comes to pass.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Grizzly Adams

"Same old people"?:rollin This is one of those issues you either believe in or you believe you're being had. Unfornuately, our younger generation has been programmed to accept what they are told. There is no future in this kind of thinking.
Grizz
Old 04-15-2007, 10:55 PM
rugatika

Default Here's some of them thar new thought thingies

Trees above the 50th parallel can add as much as 3 degrees to global warming. The tree cover hides snow and absorbs warmth from the sun that would otherwise be reflected away from the earth.

environment.guardian.co.u...47,00.html

cjunk.blogspot.com/2007/0...trees.html

So...seems to me that we can erase the last couple hundred years of global warming and then some by logging all of the forests north of the 50th. That should make all the Suzukis happy right??

How's that for a new thought?? Any objections?? It's for a good cause. Peace, Love, Save the Whales, Save the planet etc.

Here's another new thought... business.timesonline.co.u...642746.ece

Seems the greenies are already driving up the costs of meat and reducing supply.

New thoughts from "the same old people".
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
rugatika

Default A fun online test about your global warming knowledge

Here's a fun test to see how much you really know about global warming.

www.geocraft.com/WVFossil...start.html

This post was brought to you by "the same old people".
Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Tree Guy

Default For Dan

Hey Dan. I understand what you are saying, but you can't tell someone to stay off of a thread, it doesn't work that way, but I hear where you are coming from.

Personally, I was a small part of the 'Swindle' thread and learned alot from it. Although it would take a few hours of reading (including the links) right now, I encourage everyone to take the time to read it as there is ALOT of good information there.

I will try to stay off of this thread in order to learn where people are coming from on this important issue. Just remember...Rug and myself are not disputing that things are changing. We are disputing the politics and more importantly the SCIENCE behind the global warming proponent's arguments. The closer the average person looks into this, the more you will realize that we are being lied to. It's complicated, and there is a ton of crap out there, but like anything, if you make the effort to even wade through a bit of it, it'll get you attention.

Dan, I will only post (for now) in order to keep this thread on page one. Now it's your turn. What do you think?

Tree
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM
gunner 83

Default Re: A fun online test about your global warming knowledge

Here is a fun list of global warming tidbits Friends of Science

just thought i'd throw it into the ring on this perpetual global warming debate
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM
rugatika

Default OK Dan

OK Dan. The thread is all yours. I'll try and stay off it and let everyone else have their say.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Dan

Default Re: OK Dan

Treeguy,
I'm just trying to keep this thread FAIR. I have nothing to do with this post.
Whenever someone posts about climate change, Adams makes a sarcastic comment and Rugatika begins his tirade of webblogs. That action effectively quiets anyone who wants to voice their opinion.
Rugatika has 8 PAGES full of links on the other thread, his position is clear. To me, its like the Jehovah Witness, they come to your door once and explain how they see the world is, great, it was good to know. But to keep coming every week to say the same thing....
I for one, would like to hear opinions from other people, especially advocates for positive change like Pappy and Sheephunter. But for them to be challenged when they say they are on the fence is quite unnerving and its no wonder no one posts anymore.

There are holes in both theories and for anyone to be 100% confident is in denial, so let people rant or rave about it.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
sheep hunter

Actually there is very little scientific evidence to dispute global warming and man's direct relation to it. If you look at most of the anti global warming propeganda you'll find that it has no basis in science. The information that came out of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change is about as credible as it gets and it leaves little to speculation.

The major problem is that we've created a problem with no solution so for many the easiest solution is to deny the problem and in the end, that might be all we can do. Don't take my stance as support of Kyoto as I feel that the objectives in Kyoto are impratical and impossible. It's a feel-good solution to a problem that may have no real solution. I wish there was an answer but I fear there may not be but I will stand up and accept responsibility.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
kanonfodder

I agree it's all Sheeps fault......... lead paint chips for everyone.......mmmmmm
Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
sheep hunter

Quote:
What's the similarity between the Flames and a tea bag?

LMAO....sad but true
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
gunned

Default Re: Global warming???

Do we actually know? We obviously don't!
I have not read the past discussions on this subject. I aggree that denial is the easiest approach. Then we can go on living as we choose, without fear of the consequences for future generations, just like the generations past.
From my limited knowledge on the subject I will assume that we are likely affecting our enviornment in a negative way. However, if that is not true, is there any harm in erring on the side of caution, at least until the verdict is in? I think we should - for our childrens sake. As a matter of fact, is this not our duty as outdoorsmen (stewardship)?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Tree Guy

No offence Dan, but in order for a thread to be 'fair', do you not need viewpoints from opposing sides?

I am only posting again as you referenced myself specifically. Everyone should know from the past posts where Rugatika and myself stand. We are passionate about our stances and I personally find it difficult to stay out of it, but I will unless referenced again.

Rug comes from one side, and has gone to a great deal of effort to research the links he posts up. Agree or disagree, but he is at least working to justify his position. His links are worth reading for the most part. They can be dry and complicated by times and frivilous by others, but if this issue is as important to you as it is to me, take the time to read some of them, you'll be better for it.

From the pro-warming side, if someone can get ShedCrazy's attention, he has some very good stuff to add too. Very smart guy and worth listening to. Have fun. I'm out.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 AM
winged1

there is no question that the marketing gurus have jumped on this warming thing and have pushed it into all of our lives. We are pretty simplistic in our gullibility to the whole thing. If we consider that a single volcanic eruption could dump more pollutants into the atmoshpere than we could produce in ten years, or that a single season of forest fires would consume more lumber harvested, or that continued infestation of pine beetle will decimate forested areas.

It's kind of the chicken or the egg argument for me. Does a new virus or fungus that erradicates bees cause alteration of flora, or does the alteration of vegetation create new opportunities for pests?

One thing for sure is that man wants control, and expects stagnation for the duration of his exsistance. I personally think that he will be in awe when the earth progresses into a state change, if he exsists through it.

The real problem is going to be when the oceans start to bloom algae growth that poisons the atmosphere. And if the earth is warming that may happen regardless of what man has done or will do.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Grizzly Adams

I'm curious as to how my comment could be regarded as sarcastic? I just pointed out another one of the many facts that make the case that Global Warming [and cooling] have been around forever, something the advocates would like us to forget. Our civilization has been affected by it in the past and we seem to have survived it quite well, thank you.
My regular signature is a quote from The Emergence of Man. by John E. Pfeiffer, written before 1969. I just haven't figured out how to attach it here.
Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal.
Grizz
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Duffy4

I agree with what Dan and gunned posted earlier.

I think rug wants to draw people into some kind of "discussion" where he simply ignores and belittles what anyone else says and blindly goes on with his view of things.

And now he will be wondering why I don't come up with some facts for global warming, so he can despute them.

I don't care to "debate" it here on this site.

Robin
Old 04-17-2007, 01:59 PM
A-Men

Default A-Men

"I think rug wants to draw people into some kind of "discussion" where he simply ignores and belittles what anyone else says and blindly goes on with his view of things."A men guys he did this to me and made me feel lower then the gum under his shoe. I WONT DO THAT AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re:Just keeping this on page one

Bump!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Southb

Default Re: Re:Just keeping this on page one

Bump! :\
Old 04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Okotokian

-I'm sure global warming is happening.
-I'm not sure how much C02 is contributing. It also happens naturally.
-I'm sitting here freezing and I'm SURE I would like global warming to continue. Alberta a few degrees warmer on average? I'm for that! :lol

At this juncture it makes sense to me to take some prudent precautions, stimulate some research and development of cleaner technologies, practices, etc. However, I wouldn't advocate huge shifts that would displace workers, cause economic hardship, etc. The technology is coming along. We are getting cleaner. I have some faith in the future.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Tree Guy

Bump!

Come on, everyone should have an opinion, thought or experience to add to this.