Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Tree Guy

Default For Sheep: Russian Bear Hunt

Hey Sheep!

My friend told me today that he checked out this site for the first time and asked me who 'This SheepHunter guy is?'. I gave him the Cole's Notes version and happened to mention your bear hunt in Russia with AK-47's. This sparked an interesting converation.

If you have some time, could you fill us in on the details of that hunt (pics maybe too?) for those of us who do not know the story?

In our conversation, we wondered what game animals exist in Russia, as it lies on our latitude. Would they have the same animals? Mulies, Elk, Sheep, Whitetails, etc.? If so, why are there no B&C and P&Y records from a country the size of Russia? What about fish? We had never really considered what hunting is like in the rest of the world until now.

Thanks,
Tree
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
sheep hunter

I was actually over there consulting for an outfitter on a new area and only hunted grizz for a couple of days. We never saw a bear big enough. There were moose and snow sheep where I was hunting as well. Russia is a huge country with an incredible array of game. I was in Kamchatka.

As for fishing, the river I was on was famous for steelhead and had a run of all the Pacific salmon plus an additional one called a cherry salmon. It also had a char like fish that grew quite large.

It was a great trip and I'd love to go back. The Russians are wonderful people.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
gunslinger

sheep was trying to book my russian brown bear hutn for this fall and my booking agent let meknow that as of back a couple months ago there was no flights into there anymore for soem reason he didnt know, maybe has changed since but i couldnt go on the hunt this fall because of the flight status into kamthcaka ,
Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks Sheep. Did you get any pics? How closely does the habitat and game compare to Canada? Why do you think that there are no Russian critters on the books? Why am I such a pest....lol?:b
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
sheep hunter

Ya I've got hundreds of pictures.....the scenery was incredible. Similar landscape to Alaska including some awesome volcanos.

Russian animals are in the SCI record books. They don't qualify for B&C....only North American animals do.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
sheep hunter

I flew direct from Anchorage to Petropavlosk but that was a few years ago. Weird they don't have flights any more. I have a buddy that's a Russian travel agent. If you get serious about going again I can get you in contact with him.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 PM
209x50cal

Sheep you should tell them about the cool flavored vodka! Your guide swore it would put hair on your chest (tall order) and it almost did! Or how about the American delicacy that turned up in the remote little town tavern...:rollin
Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 AM
sheep hunter

Chicken spice in Vodka and American sausage....it just doesn't get any better. Okay, eating caviar out of a pail was cool!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Tree Guy

Sheep, did you do an article on your experience? Do you have a link, if so? Sounds like a good story.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
sheep hunter

Nope I didn't but ya I should one day...some incredible stories to tell, including nearly dying in a jet boat accident and being stuffed in a helicopter with 28 people. That and the chicken seasoning vodka!!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
209x50cal

Nearly dieing in a jet boat accident? Come on, a 40 mph ejection is nothing serious, heck you came closer to dieing from poultry seasoning poisoning! I've come closer to dieing just riding with you, screaming down the Deerfoot! I do wish you would quit that, the screaming that is. :rollin
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM
sheep hunter

Actually it was that Russian tradition of celebrating life after the jet boat accident that nearly killed me!!!

You should ride with me on my bike on the Deerfoot....now that's an experience!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Jamie Hunt

Sheep you have to share this with us, what the heck happened?

Jamie
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM
sheep hunter

Way too long of a story to tell James but we had a bad crash with a jet boat and all flew out of the boat at about 40mph. No one was seriously injured but lots of us were beat up pretty bad. I had a knot on my hip for over a year after.

The trip itself was awesome though. Russia is incredible and I'd go back in a heartbeat. If you've ever got time for a half dozen beer I'll tell you the whole tale. Bears, helicopters, AK47s, Leonard Cohen, steelhead, fly rods, Starbucks coffee, cavier from a pail, banyas and much that can be said on a public board...that's a snapshot of my trip!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Jamie Hunt

Your on!
Lets try and get together soon. Perhaps you can come over for a BBQ and a afternoon at the range.

Jamie
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 AM
sheep hunter

That I could be talked into my friend!