Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Let me be more clear. Trudeau is completely useless and is hurting the Canadian economy , but Trump is a dangerous idiot (but not near as stupid as his followers) that is hurting not only his country, but many others.
Way to win an argument Hillary...worked just about as well the last time you used it.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Some wild swings in short time!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
1st quarter coming up, those dividends are doing to be a fraction of what they were. Pretty hard to sustain paying a dividend when you are losing money on every barrel you produce. Most will be shutting in wells. Not much profit on a shut in well either. I wouldn't touch any producers maybe the odd enbridge or Pembina or trans can but that's just my 2 cents. 😉
Gotta buy the guys that control upstream, downstream and midstream. And guys that paid a dividend since WW2. Lol.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Trump is a dangerous idiot (but not near as stupid as his followers) that is hurting not only his country, but many others.
You must be getting all your wisdom from CBC.
By the way you just called me stupid.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
You must be getting all your wisdom from CBC.
By the way you just called me stupid.
There's a couple others that figure it's okay to insult if they generalize and don't follow along with the hysteria
Old 03-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Gotta buy the guys that control upstream, downstream and midstream. And guys that paid a dividend since WW2. Lol.
Who might some of these companies be?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:33 AM

Pm sent -I find it bad luck to name companies online lol
Old 03-10-2020, 03:25 PM

Another head scratching day .....

D

Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM

Here is some notes from a research piece I was looking at today. It is looking at the current situation in Europe and where this thing is going.

"Now we are getting accurate data out of Europe on this bug. The Ro is between 4.0 and 6.6, death rate is 3.4% and the most concerning number is the serious complication rate of 15-20%.

We are just a couple weeks behind Europe and Italy in NA. The exponential growth has the Italian system at the breaking point already, they are out of acute care beds, doctors, medical supplies to treat all severe cases. Doctors are making decisions now on which patients live or die due to lack of resources.

The whole of Europe will be at the limit of their health care systems by the end of March at the current growth rate. The amount of acute care beds in Italy is about 2.6/1000 people. In Canada we are just under 2/1000 people. The US is around 2.4/1000.

Government is going to be forced to choose to basically shut down the economy or accept massive rates of preventable deaths in the +60 age class. The latter may already be unavoidable in many parts of the States as they seem to have bungled the containment and are going to be forced into mitigation.

How much can tax cuts and low rates do to support asset prices. Or prevent mass unrest as poor people are left to die while the richest Americans use the Health care resources of the country."

My take. Its gonna cause an economic and social s show. It's still early in thing, really early. As morbid as it sounds, wait till we see the death rate start to spike in the US and here. Then we are going to start to see real panic. Fade the rallies till then imho.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:28 PM

All the markets were up at closing...except the Canadian dollar....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Here is some notes from a research piece I was looking at today. It is looking at the current situation in Europe and where this thing is going.

"Now we are getting accurate data out of Europe on this bug. The Ro is between 4.0 and 6.6, death rate is 3.4% and the most concerning number is the serious complication rate of 15-20%.

We are just a couple weeks behind Europe and Italy in NA. The exponential growth has the Italian system at the breaking point already, they are out of acute care beds, doctors, medical supplies to treat all severe cases. Doctors are making decisions now on which patients live or die due to lack of resources.

The whole of Europe will be at the limit of their health care systems by the end of March at the current growth rate. The amount of acute care beds in Italy is about 2.6/1000 people. In Canada we are just under 2/1000 people. The US is around 2.4/1000.

Government is going to be forced to choose to basically shut down the economy or accept massive rates of preventable deaths in the +60 age class. The latter may already be unavoidable in many parts of the States as they seem to have bungled the containment and are going to be forced into mitigation.

How much can tax cuts and low rates do to support asset prices. Or prevent mass unrest as poor people are left to die while the richest Americans use the Health care resources of the country."

My take. Its gonna cause an economic and social s show. It's still early in thing, really early. As morbid as it sounds, wait till we see the death rate start to spike in the US and here. Then we are going to start to see real panic. Fade the rallies till then imho.

Gilead is ramping up production of Remdesivir, and will know the initial results of their trial in the States by next week. What we’re doing by shutting down is exactly what your saying. Buying time for the health care system, and drug manufacturers. Worth noting the death rate in the states is high because they’ve only been testing those with severe pneumonia. Will go down now that they have the mobile labs up and running. If you look at the statistics the US is doing quite well managing care for those who presented with severe symptoms. 650+ currently in mild condition, and 8 in severe. Massive drop from the 20% were seeing elsewhere. Makes me think the drug works.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Interesting. However, here in Canada, since SARS, according to our officials, our hospitals, health care and other facilities have undertaken very significant preparations. We also have a real advantage of now dramatically reduced international traffic by air, cruise lines, etc. So that should significantly help reduce the incoming risk.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 PM

That looks to me like a massive wealth re-distribution. All the old folks that busted their asses all their lives and keep their money in a bank are moving 2 feet under and their money are going to their kids and grandkids. The ones that walking around with signs protesting everything possible and impossible. The young ones are going to get the money and **** them away since they have no idea how to preserve the capital... Liberals gonna be very happy- lots of new tax dollars gonna make it to the tax coffers.... and they gonna **** them away too, lol!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Interesting. However, here in Canada, since SARS, according to our officials, our hospitals, health care and other facilities have undertaken very significant preparations. We also have a real advantage of now dramatically reduced international traffic by air, cruise lines, etc. So that should significantly help reduce the incoming risk.
???

Canada has approx. 73,000 hospital beds
If only 10% of the population get corona...that means about 3,600,000
If only 10% of those need hospitalization...that means about 360,000 beds required
oh... and before you say well, they won't all be required at the same time...yes, but consider the bulk of those beds are currently occupied....
Old 03-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Yes. I posted this a number of days ago. (See below)

The point is: politicians and health authorities have had decades and several actual real and threatening viral occurrences to simply figure everything out. This situation is not new by any means. I haven’t seen a single thing in the news that should be surprising to the authorities in any possible way. So... we simply follow their direction and very few people should suffer.

Opinion: Canada must prepare its hospitals for COVID-19. And do it quickly

By Dr. P.G. Forest and Dr. Jason Sutherland

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/opin...-do-it-quickly

Last edited by KinAlberta; 03-10-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:17 AM

Looks to be another crazy day in the markets! Stocks to drop at the open!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Overall trend is down for next while until they can contain corona ... now the bank tightened the credit line some company are going to get squeezed ... Boeing is drawing down their credit line .. what about the oil companies .
Old 03-11-2020, 09:34 AM

I think I understand the TP frenzy I checked my portfolio this morning and almost shat myself.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I think I understand the TP frenzy I checked my portfolio this morning and almost shat myself.
Now it all makes sense...........
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 AM

Down we go again ..... this will continue all week!

Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Or not.

Predicting the future can be tough.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Trump was preaching a 30000 Dow couple weeks ago, a 20000 Dow is probably a more realistic level for 2020.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Trump was preaching a 30000 Dow couple weeks ago, a 20000 Dow is probably a more realistic level for 2020.
That's my target, but if she breaks 20,000...all bets are off.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 AM

WHO officially declares a pandemic.

NPR: Coronavirus: COVID-19 Is Now Officially A Pandemic, WHO Says

Going to be a steep ride down today.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Muted so far, tomorrow though........
Old 03-11-2020, 11:12 AM

Wow. This will do nothing but make the panic worse. When you can't trust the leaders of the free world to protect the population by being open and transparent. This is another indication of total f up. The governments mishandling of the situation is going to sink Trump in the end. And kill a ton of people unfortunately.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20Y2LM
Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wow. This will do nothing but make the panic worse. When you can't trust the leaders of the free world to protect the population by being open and transparent. This is another indication of total f up. The governments mishandling of the situation is going to sink Trump in the end. And kill a ton of people unfortunately.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20Y2LM
It’s the way of all authoritarian styled governments.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Haha Zing!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-11-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Don't worry, a half dozen experts-in-everything here say it is nothing to fear. Maybe they should be talking to the WHO.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-11-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Don't worry, a half dozen experts-in-everything here say it is nothing to fear. Maybe they should be talking to the WHO.

Yes or maybe the "AO" experts can start licking every door handle before they open doors just to test there immune system, it is just the common flu anyways!