Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Both Facebook and Amazon seeing huge 15%+ moves after earning , tech stock are not done tanking yet .
I hate you!
Old 11-01-2022, 11:29 AM

Looks like lock down is starting again in China starting with Shanghai Disney land … there more bad news on the way, just have not made the headlines yet expect more pain from the supply chain and even is everything start up again there are a lot of back inventory for retailers to move and they are not willing to drop prices .
Old 11-01-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Looks like lock down is starting again in China starting with Shanghai Disney land … there more bad news on the way, just have not made the headlines yet expect more pain from the supply chain and even is everything start up again there are a lot of back inventory for retailers to move and they are not willing to drop prices.
The retail side and pricing is going to be an interesting thing to watch in the coming days. I'm not an expert in retail economics but I'm still torn on whether we will see price drops to clear inventory or see retailers stick to their guns and accept less customers at these higher prices. Neither is a particularly great prospect from a market perspective, but I think it will tell the tale of how much pricing has been driven by real cost increases vs retail pricing things opportunistically based on the fact that everyone has accepted inflation as inevitable. If the later issue is the dominant case, then I expect to see more price drops but if base costs are the big factor driving, prices will likely be very sticky. Nobody wants to realize a loss. Either way its not looking great for the economy and I'm still surprised at how upbeat the market is taking all this.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:48 AM

Not sure what they are thinking in Jina with their rona policy.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:49 PM

Default Ugh

Got into crypto in 2021. Its down around 45%.
RRSP's are worth 20% of what they were.
Stocks are worth about %15 of what they were worth. Heck a hydrogen fuel company I bought into I have averaged down to 59 cents..... It went up today and is trading at 4 cents.

Dont lose if ya dont sell.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
The retail side and pricing is going to be an interesting thing to watch in the coming days. I'm not an expert in retail economics but I'm still torn on whether we will see price drops to clear inventory or see retailers stick to their guns and accept less customers at these higher prices. Neither is a particularly great prospect from a market perspective, but I think it will tell the tale of how much pricing has been driven by real cost increases vs retail pricing things opportunistically based on the fact that everyone has accepted inflation as inevitable. If the later issue is the dominant case, then I expect to see more price drops but if base costs are the big factor driving, prices will likely be very sticky. Nobody wants to realize a loss. Either way its not looking great for the economy and I'm still surprised at how upbeat the market is taking all this.
Good post.
Was reading an interesting article on US household cash reserves. They have basically dropped 80% in the last 9 months. I think there will be a crunch soon and the retailers are going to be at the front end of this pain.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:31 PM

My net worth is up 6% overall so far this year.
I haven’t changed any habit, if anything, been spending more.
20 years same job, no raise.

That’s why I don’t mind 5% GICs right now.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
20 years same job, no raise.
So, you are getting the same amount of money that you were when you started your job in 2002?!?

That's impressive, and not necessarily in a good way.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
So, you are getting the same amount of money that you were when you started your job in 2002?!?

That's impressive, and not necessarily in a good way.
I meant a raise.
I’m just griping. But new employees are starting at the same level I am at.
It’s a good job so never gave them the ultimatum (raise vs quit) and my upbringing prevents me from doing any less than my best.
Definitely been taken advantage of but never brown nosed a day in my life.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 AM

The reports indicate that the labour market is continuing to be tight in spite of the rate increases, indicating no slow down. Most of the earnings reports by various companies, however, say the same thing and that is they are laying off people and many in very significant amounts. Weird, right?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Or worse.

Germany’s energy sector is going bankrupt in its entirety, pretty much. From Reuters: Exclusive: Germany in talks over urgent help for regional energy providers - sources
Reuters: 'Massive scars': Germany's Uniper posts record 40 bln euro net loss

Soon-to-be-nationalised gas importer Uniper (UN01.DE) reported a record 40 billion euro ($39.3 billion) net loss in the first nine months of this year, the biggest in German corporate history, after Russia stopped its supplies.

The loss further highlights how Russia's decision to sever a decade-long supply relationship with Europe, most notably Germany, is impacting the continent's energy sector, with Uniper the crisis' biggest corporate casualty so far.

It also marks the biggest loss in German corporate history, according to Mark Spoerer, who holds the chair for economic and social history at the University of Regensburg, even dwarfing more recent outliers such as the 25 billion euros Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE) disclosed for 2002.

Since the start of the year shares in Uniper have lost 93% of their value, giving it a current market value of 1.1 billion euros, down from 15.2 billion euros on Jan. 3.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The reports indicate that the labour market is continuing to be tight in spite of the rate increases, indicating no slow down. Most of the earnings reports by various companies, however, say the same thing and that is they are laying off people and many in very significant amounts. Weird, right?

Employment is a lagging indicator. By the time we see the data, the job losses have already occurred. And rising rates also have a lag between how soon they change and how fast they work themselves through the economy. Leaves plenty of room for a big screwup by central banks. Just like their inflation call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2022, 12:17 PM

^ Yep, exactly what I was implying. They’ll mess it up badly, you can just feel it, lol.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Poilievre: Will Trudeau Just Stop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHLIymnWAnU
Old 11-04-2022, 06:33 AM

Looks like it might be a good day for stocks. Rumblings that China may begin to unwind zero Covid policy next year has oil up.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Looks like it might be a good day for stocks. Rumblings that China may begin to unwind zero Covid policy next year has oil up.
Us can’t keep oil price down forever especially with the us stockpile reserve running a little low and opec know us need to replenish their reserves.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:21 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Pierre Poilievre Votes Down Fall Economic Statement BY Liberals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfp1e8HKO9E
Old 11-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Proof Point: Canada’s recession to arrive earlier than expected

In previous work, we projected a moderate recession for Canada’s economy in 2023. We now believe this downturn will arrive as early as the first quarter of next year.

Higher prices and interest rates will shave $3,000 off the average household’s purchasing power, weighing on goods purchases.

And the jobless rate will near 7% while remaining less severe than in previous downturns.

As debt-servicing costs increase and purchasing power declines, lower income Canadians—many already adjusting to the loss of pandemic support—will be hit hardest.

The bottom line: The pain of the upcoming recession won’t be distributed equally among Canadian businesses and households. The manufacturing sector will likely be among the first to pull back while some high-contact service sectors like travel and hospitality could prove more resilient than in a ‘normal’ historical recession.

Signs of strain are emerging as interest rates rise

Cracks are forming in Canada’s economy. Housing markets have cooled sharply. Central banks are in the midst of one of the most aggressive rate-hiking cycles in history. And while labour markets remain strong, employment is down by 92,000 over the last four months.

And the pressure is still building. While the Bank of Canada is expected to lift the overnight rate to 4%, the U.S. Federal Reserve will likely hike to between 4.5% and 4.75% by early 2023. These factors will hasten the arrival of a recession in Canada—which we now expect to start in the first quarter of 2023 (one quarter earlier than our previous projection).

https://thoughtleadership.rbc.com/ca...than-expected/
Old 11-05-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:

That was some big moves in a bunch of commodities. If this continues, along with the better than expected job numbers out of the States and Canada, I would not be surprised to see 75 points next go round out of both central banks.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Banned

Arrow

“A massive wealth transfer from the ‘have-nots’ to the ‘have-yachts,’” Poilievre slams government’s economic record

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre slammed the Trudeau government’s handling of the country’s finances on Friday in a speech at the Empire Club in downtown Toronto.

“The cost of government is raising the cost of living,” Poilievre said.

https://tnc.news/2022/11/04/poilievr...onomic-record/
Old 11-05-2022, 12:10 PM

Anyone have any practical info on Gear Energy?

I like the dividend, business, PE Ratio, but don't actually know anything about the company.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I like the dividend, business, PE Ratio, but don't actually know anything about the company.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...up-55-in-2022/
Old 11-05-2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
You have to be a subscriber to be able to read this article…
Old 11-06-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
You have to be a subscriber to be able to read this article…
I know — sorry. It’s a good article with insight into the company. Just gotta pay for the good stuff sometimes, that’s all.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
That was some big moves in a bunch of commodities. If this continues, along with the better than expected job numbers out of the States and Canada, I would not be surprised to see 75 points next go round out of both central banks.

That was quite the end of the week. It sure feels like commodities are really turning the corner… Guess we’ll see what happens soon.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:

It definitely fits in the higher risk category.

Don't hate me but I thought I would mention Tourmolines latest quarter. Raised the base dividend to $.25 a quarter and gave out another $2.25 special. I think that's almost $8 for 2022. Just thought I would throw that out there. Shares are up 100% YTD, 245% in the last 5 years.

https://www.tourmalineoil.com/investors
Old 11-06-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
That was quite the end of the week. It sure feels like commodities are really turning the corner… Guess we’ll see what happens soon.
The USD$ took a bit of a bath last week as well which helps. What a crazy period we are going through. Always interesting.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:58 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Freeland: Completely Out Of Touch!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1589308348100644864
Old 11-06-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

$13.99/month of my own money, bad, lets cut it. $6,000/night hotel room with your money, thats fine!
Old 11-07-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

I can’t stand watching her ugly face on tv. And her facial mimics drive me nuts!