Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Depression

Depression. It is a silent demon that enters peoples lives. If unrecognized and left untreated, will ruin or forever alter many peoples lives. I've lived with it for many years, and have been on, and am still taking medication and treatment for it. Without the support of my wife and family, I likely wouldn't be typing these words. To my friends. Don't be afraid to reach out to me, or a loved one for help or support. You're not in it alone. To your loved ones, try to recognize the symptoms before it's too late. Our busy lives, and hustle and bustle world, takes a heavy toll on our body chemistry. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign that you need to rest, and let others be strong for you for a change. Mood changes, abuse of alcohol or drugs. These are some of the first signs. This is an illness no different than any other, and it can be treated. Take care of each other, be patient and be kind. Recognize the signs and don't be afraid to step in and intervene on their behalf.
Leo
Old 08-21-2020, 12:13 PM

Wise words, thanks for posting them.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Agree... many times it is the ones we least suspect too...smiling, always jumping in at work etc going that happy boisterous way but actually it's all a front to what really is going on...very complicated...yet very serious.

Hope the best for you and yours leo.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-21-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanks for being open about your journey.

We need to support each other at all times.

It’s what family, friends and community need to do.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-21-2020, 12:46 PM

I lost one friend this spring, and another one a few years back, due to depression. Both were being treated, but each took his own life. I have also had calls at all hours from other friends, and luckily they recovered and now lead normal lives again. As I told them, I am always available, if you need someone to talk to.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Thank you for having to courage to post this Leo. Wise words.

I lost a brother to this in 2017, and far too many friends in years past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Great post, Leo.

Keeping a watchful eye around us for friends and family that are showing signs is vital. It's important that we are there for each other. There are no easy solutions, but fellowship and care are huge helps.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Default recognize the symptoms

What might they may be?
Old 08-21-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
What might they may be?
As with any disease, the symptoms vary to the individual, and so does the treatment. Speaking from personal experience, symptoms can be the following.
Tired all the time
Unmotivated to participate in any activities
Weight loss/loss of appetite
Heavy alcohol (or drug) usage
Mood swings
Anxiety
Feeling inadequate

Last edited by leo; 08-21-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
What might they may be?
That's a really good question.

Some people show unusual changes in behavior, which are hard to pick up on because they may present as positive changes. Some are unusually cheerful, for example.

I had one classmate who, in the week prior to taking his own life, took time to talk to each of us, seemed much less anxious or preoccupied, just seemed so much more personable all of a sudden. We didn't see it coming.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That's a really good question.

Some people show unusual changes in behavior, which are hard to pick up on because they may present as positive changes. Some are unusually cheerful, for example.

I had one classmate who, in the week prior to taking his own life, took time to talk to each of us, seemed much less anxious or preoccupied, just seemed so much more personable all of a sudden. We didn't see it coming.
He likely made peace with his demons and had already made up his mind on the fateful outcome. I guess he was saying his goodbyes. Very sorry for your loss.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
He likely made peace with his demons and had already made up his mind on the fateful outcome. I guess he was saying his goodbyes. Very sorry for your loss.
Thank you Leo. I'm quite sure that was the case for him. That actually was almost word-for-word what came up in discussion with our group after we had received the news.

Help can come in a variety of ways. I know of situations where individuals were brought back from the brink in very unusual ways.

For others, a kind word or even a small action or token of appreciation can bring them the glimmer of hope that they need to make it through the next day/week/month/year etc. The key for many is that they need to know that they have value, that someone knows they exist, someone cares.

Finding a purpose in life can be a huge step forward. To look beyond ourselves and take initiative to help others - mowing the lawn or shop for an elderly neighbour, checking in on an acquaintance that you haven't heard from in a while, doing some volunteering.

Staying away from social media can be helpful too, I hear.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Thank you Leo. I'm quite sure that was the case for him. That actually was almost word-for-word what came up in discussion with our group after we had received the news.

Help can come in a variety of ways. I know of situations where individuals were brought back from the brink in very unusual ways.

For others, a kind word or even a small action or token of appreciation can bring them the glimmer of hope that they need to make it through the next day/week/month/year etc. The key for many is that they need to know that they have value, that someone knows they exist, someone cares.

Finding a purpose in life can be a huge step forward. To look beyond ourselves and take initiative to help others - mowing the lawn or shop for an elderly neighbour, checking in on an acquaintance that you haven't heard from in a while, doing some volunteering.

Staying away from social media can be helpful too, I hear.
One thing that became very apparent to me is some people, while well intentioned, cause more damage trying to help. Usually friends or acquaintances who think they know what you need. Your 100% correct in having a purpose, and a reason to get out of bed and get on with living. Having positive nurturing people around you that know you are fighting, is a necessity. Negativity, or people that want to party are to be avoided.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Wise, brave words. "Sick, not weak".
Old 08-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Banned

Thanks for posting this also, lost a co-worker to depression a few years back.
Posts like this are invaluable...make up for all the Covid/political infighting threads.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:44 PM

be sure to take your vitamins , lots of people deal with seasonal depresssion as well , try to get active and eat healthy .
Old 08-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Me too

Ten years ago, I went through a hellish patch that lasted about a year and a half. Hit me like a ton of bricks that I did not see coming. Medication helped me immensely, along with the help of a supportive family, as well as trusted friends. Screwed me up but good. After I had come out the other side, my doctor and I had a discussion as to whether continue with meds. Because they gave me absolutely no side effects, and a history of it in my family, we decided it would be wise to continue. I have what I call my happy pill every morning with my cup of coffee. Don't have any plans on stopping. I see it as no different than a multivitamin or an Advil. Helps me maintain health.

I cringe at some of the foolish things people who have never faced the darkness of clinical depression say. It ain't no fun.

Thanks for having the balls to be honest. Regardless of the success of the Bell Let's Talk movement, there is still unfortunately a stigma attached to depression which makes no sense. It is not as if anyone asks to wake up with mental dis-ease.

To anyone fighting the darkness, trust me, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
"I am always available, if you need someone to talk to."
Unfortunately, a lot of times having someone to talk to just isn't enough. People suffering from depression need someone willing & able to really do something about it and help.

Someone who shows they are willing to jump in front of that train, or take that bullet for them... They're in a deep dark hole, that a lot of people wouldn't dare go down to help someone who's depressed. They need a hero.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Ten years ago, I went through a hellish patch that lasted about a year and a half. Hit me like a ton of bricks that I did not see coming. Medication helped me immensely, along with the help of a supportive family, as well as trusted friends. Screwed me up but good. After I had come out the other side, my doctor and I had a discussion as to whether continue with meds. Because they gave me absolutely no side effects, and a history of it in my family, we decided it would be wise to continue. I have what I call my happy pill every morning with my cup of coffee. Don't have any plans on stopping. I see it as no different than a multivitamin or an Advil. Helps me maintain health.

I cringe at some of the foolish things people who have never faced the darkness of clinical depression say. It ain't no fun.

Thanks for having the balls to be honest. Regardless of the success of the Bell Let's Talk movement, there is still unfortunately a stigma attached to depression which makes no sense. It is not as if anyone asks to wake up with mental dis-ease.

To anyone fighting the darkness, trust me, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I could have wrote this as well, only 5 years, take my happy pill each morning and life is good.

Those of you who think you might be suffering from depression make an appointment and go see your doctor. It will be the best choice you make.

BW
Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Excellent post!
Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Excellent post!
Excellent thread...the sickness of a million faces....remember you are not alone.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of times having someone to talk to just isn't enough. People suffering from depression need someone willing & able to really do something about it and help.

Someone who shows they are willing to jump in front of that train, or take that bullet for them... They're in a deep dark hole, that a lot of people wouldn't dare go down to help someone who's depressed. They need a hero.
Someone thats maybe being down that road! Maybe?
Old 08-21-2020, 03:56 PM

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a significant increase in "sudden passings", among obituaries in the last little while, including a couple I've known. Social isolation may be good for preventing the spread of Covid, but it can be murder on mental health.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a significant increase in "sudden passings", among obituaries in the last little while, including a couple I've known. Social isolation may be good for preventing the spread of Covid, but it can be murder on mental health.

Grizz
Got that right!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Thanks Leo. Brave of you to come forward. Depression is something I have fought with for years as well. I hid it from everyone for years worried about the stigma it brings with it.

I found talking with my wife, exercising and actually taking time to get outside helped me a lot. I think one of the tough things about depression is that it affects everyone differently and so do the treatments.

People who haven’t been there tend to think you can just cheer up or be happy. They don’t understand the pain.

Great thread.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Wise, brave words. "Sick, not weak".
Definitely agree with that. I may have said this before but it's worth saying again.

Robin Lehner, current goalie for the Golden Knights, won the trophy for best goaltender with the Islanders a year or two ago. His battle with depression or bipolar disorder, substance abuse were well known. In his acceptance speech he said that "mentally ill does not mean mentally weak".

Strong words. Good on you Leo for your post. Hopefully, we can get to a day where we can all look at somebody who suffers from depression as if he had a broken arm. I hope that came out right. Not a sign of weakness I was trying to get at.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Thanks Leo, great thread. You can't manage depression until you're honest with yourself and people in your life that you actually are feeling it. Also, those of us who've had a few concussions along the way need to pay extra attention to ourselves as well.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Awesome post. have lost three great friends to it...

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-22-2020, 04:01 PM

I've been dealing with this for over 30 years.
Since we had our son 13 years ago it is more under control, but there are still days where the plan starts circling the brain.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:13 PM

I have no experience in this but apparently I have "helped"

I am in constant contact with friends. We talk at least two or three times a week. Even that makes a difference.

I do not accept those excuses we use of "i was busy" or "so much going on"....

I dont care what you do for work, or how "busy" you think you are.....EVERYONE has time to touch base.

And if its nice out, my friends know where the key is hidden. Use it, pet my dog, grab a drink and ill be home shortly.

My friends are still the ones who joined me on Saturday mornings, lying on our stomachs on pillows, watching cartoons........we all got married, some had kids, some didnt, some are now single, whatever....the one thing that has remained is friendship. Its our duty to care for each other.

And over the years, other newer friends have joined us.

Friends and spouses/partners. Really, the only choices you get to make. So choose wisely.

Keep each other healthy. Care. Pretty simple stuff