Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
This is a very good, and important thread. I can only 'sort of' relate. Once in my life, about 10 years back, for no discernible external reason, I went through about a 6 week period of what I would call real depression. A friend who worked in the same trade saw this, and made a point of 'dropping in' on my jobsite, chatting, and even picking up tools and helping just because he was a decent guy. He recognized what I was going through because he had suffered with it his whole life, and it helped me out tremendously for him to casually be there as a friend. To this day, I don't know what caused or triggered this depression, or why it went away.

And then, a couple years later, my friend took his own life. I had talked to him the day before, he seemed down, brought a coffee to his job and chatted. I was devastated when I found out.

My hunting partner and friend at that time was really dismissive of it, said that my other friend was 'weak'. He was adamant and very strong about his opinion. And then a couple years later, he was in a hole so bad he dropped all his firearms off at my place, and told me not to give them back to him. He was in counselling, on meds, and all of us (his friends) were keeping constant tabs on him and in communication....yet he also took his life.

A young fellow who worked for me got a call one day at work, and fell apart...his 48 year old father had committed suicide.

Anyway, there are a half dozen other instances of friends, co-workers, acquaintances, who have done this. It's not something to dismiss, or think of as being weak. And it has also taken me a while to get past the mental games of 'if only I had...'. Feeling guilty about not preventing somebody else from doing It is pointless as well.

Anyway, a difficult subject, and I appreciate those who have contributed.

I know of people who had these exact same thoughts. I've told them that their wife and kids are more valuable then their guns. Men, we can be really stupid about our ideas of being strong, and what is important.
but that feelng seem to come out everytime something/place/moment reminds you of them ..
Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 PM

Well if you think animals are like humans? then we have a huge gap! they are for consumption What are we coming too?
Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
As with any disease, the symptoms vary to the individual, and so does the treatment. Speaking from personal experience, symptoms can be the following.
Tired all the time
Unmotivated to participate in any activities
Weight loss/loss of appetite
Heavy alcohol (or drug) usage
Mood swings
Anxiety
Feeling inadequate
I should like to add that you can also have High Functioning Depression/anxiety, which looks different than the typical depression as well.

https://www.bridgestorecovery.com/hi...ng-depression/
Old 09-04-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
I should like to add that you can also have High Functioning Depression/anxiety, which looks different than the typical depression as well.

https://www.bridgestorecovery.com/hi...ng-depression/
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that was a thing! Some great information there.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
As with any disease, the symptoms vary to the individual, and so does the treatment. Speaking from personal experience, symptoms can be the following.
Tired all the time
Unmotivated to participate in any activities
Weight loss/loss of appetite
Heavy alcohol (or drug) usage
Mood swings
Anxiety
Feeling inadequate
Was looking in old threads for some good advice. Are the symptoms above common for a lot of folk? My cousin is most of these things and it’s destroying his family and his friendships. I want to help but the urge to walk away is also strong. He is always miserable. Never a smile - never participates in conversation but is immediately mad if he walks in a room and gets no attention. The truth is we fear saying anything because it inevitably turns into an attack of sorts. He drinks at every occasion even when with the kids although typically not excessively but still a few. He’d rather watch tv and hide out in his basement than join in. It’s so frustrating for us. Every word it seems is a reason for him to start a fight. He recently recovered from a major surgery and has been off the meds for a couple months. I’ve sought professional help for him but he flat out refuses and I’m worried he is going to end up alone because it’s a tuff battle for people to tolerate regardless of loving him to pieces.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes View Post
Was looking in old threads for some good advice. Are the symptoms above common for a lot of folk? My cousin is most of these things and it’s destroying his family and his friendships. I want to help but the urge to walk away is also strong. He is always miserable. Never a smile - never participates in conversation but is immediately mad if he walks in a room and gets no attention. The truth is we fear saying anything because it inevitably turns into an attack of sorts. He drinks at every occasion even when with the kids although typically not excessively but still a few. He’d rather watch tv and hide out in his basement than join in. It’s so frustrating for us. Every word it seems is a reason for him to start a fight. He recently recovered from a major surgery and has been off the meds for a couple months. I’ve sought professional help for him but he flat out refuses and I’m worried he is going to end up alone because it’s a tuff battle for people to tolerate regardless of loving him to pieces.
I’m no professional, so I can only comment on my past issues. Unfortunately, He has to recognize the fact he needs help. And it sounds like he does.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 AM

Default Depression!

This is a very serious illness, it kills 1/3 of those who suffer from it. For example small pox kills 10%.
The treatment works, people will help you, stop drinking, things will get better.
Ask for help.
Thanks for the post.
BTW suicide kills more people than car crashes.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=leo;4540906]I’m no professional, so I can only comment on my past issues. Unfortunately, He has to recognize the fact he needs help. And it sounds like he does.

Yes and try to be self employed in a hospitality place, and to many people lost there jobs due to covid, and cancelled there booking with me, now how do i pay bills with no money, this is my stress getting bad here, unitilites are knocking on my door now, and no help from government this year as they helped me out last year, when no one could come, thats my stress/depression not good for anyone
Old 07-16-2022, 09:42 AM

I have lost too many friends over the years due to depression, it s a very serious and dangerous illness, often misdiagnosed and more often that not it goes untreated properly until things escalate to the point of no return.

A friend of an effected person can only help and offer support when they are asked, answer the phone whenever it rings, and deal with it one day at time.
Cat
Old 07-16-2022, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=nimrod;4540921]
Quote:
I’m no professional, so I can only comment on my past issues. Unfortunately, He has to recognize the fact he needs help. And it sounds like he does.

Yes and try to be self employed in a hospitality place, and to many people lost there jobs due to covid, and cancelled there booking with me, now how do i pay bills with no money, this is my stress getting bad here, unitilites are knocking on my door now, and no help from government this year as they helped me out last year, when no one could come, thats my stress/depression not good for anyone
I spent 1/2 the day yesterday hooked up to a heart monitor. I know all about stress. We work ourselves to death for stuff! It’s just stuff I keep telling myself.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:40 PM

A true friend can make a big difference to someone suffering from depression. Even just a phone call or meeting for a coffee. Let them know that you actually care. Because one day it could be them needing a shoulder to lean on.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:33 AM

I was reading up on ADD/ADHD this weekend as well, and it's interesting to see how it relates to depression or can complicate a diagnosis.

As for myself, it's frustrating for me to see how long it takes me to get some things done. As a result, I work longer hours trying to keep up. Imposter syndrome can be a real issue as well.

My saving grace is that I have a lot of support from my family, friends (including this community!), my faith, and my supervisor.

The important thing to remember is that we are not in this alone, and there definitely is help. We have to be willing to accept it, though.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 07-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:50 AM
Suspended User

I'm glad so many are admitting to suffering. There is still too much stigma associated with admitting you have depression. I saw a new doctor 2 weeks ago for a couple of injuries, and the nurse asked about a history of mental health problems in my family. Best laugh I've had in a while. I was 12 when I stopped my mother from killing herself, my brother shot himself 15 years ago, and so on. Want to watch a person with a heart crumble... Detail a Metis family history of dealing with suicides, alcoholism, drug use, and a life of crime lol.

My house is dealing with issues, my wife has had to go to the hospital this last week from anxiety. The uncontrollable thoughts are the worst when in the middle of any type of episode.

I've tried councilling myself, but to try to explain my life to a Picket Fence type of person is impossible. I've only ran into one, who understood how different of life I led, compared to a person who's grown up in civilization.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:06 AM

[QUOTE=leo;4540941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

I spent 1/2 the day yesterday hooked up to a heart monitor. I know all about stress. We work ourselves to death for stuff! It’s just stuff I keep telling myself.
Leo;
This has been a great thread you started. Who knew the span of this horrible thing.

Like many here, I have lost a few good friends as well....I try to communicate with them when I can; nevertheless, I still communicate.

Take care,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.