Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2021, 03:02 PM

Default Does anyone use / collect crosscut saws? Antique tools? added more 12/14/21

I have a 4' single man saw that something should be done with, but have no idea about them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-13-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:21 PM

i have a few of these saws i hang them in are skating shack . That one looks in good shape i love the old stuff
Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM

Pm sent
Old 12-13-2021, 03:33 PM

The last time I used it was to face a eurethane archery ball target. It's too nice to keep just for that every 5 years

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2021, 03:53 PM

going to add some antique tools too, see if you guys know anything about them

Old 12-13-2021, 10:34 PM

I like my old tools and use them when I can crosscut, brace and bit, scythe, axes, hatchets, chisels, marking tools......
Love old quality tools.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:37 PM

Someone could paint a very nice picture on that old girl, I've seen a few done that way.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Dang! even looking at that thing makes my arms ache.

We had one and two man crosscuts and I used them more then I care to remember. Man that was along time ago.

When dad brought home a Swede Saw I thought I'd found Nirvana.

Some old tools are so interesting. It is amazing what some of those tools could do.

My brother inherited two old planes from my dad. A wooden Block plane and a brass, fillister plane made by Stanley that came with a bunch of fancy shaped blades.

The old log building tools were pretty awesome too.
I only know a few of them, I've used an Adze and a broad axe. I've seen a couple of froes and scribes but never used one.

A lot of those old tools were bought up by homesteaders like my dad when power tools made them obsolete.
Most homesteaders couldn't afford fancy tools or power tools so they bought obsolete tools some of which would have been prohibitively expensive during their hayday.

That old fillister plane my brother has would probably be worth several thousand dollars in today's money when it was new.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-14-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I like my old tools and use them when I can crosscut, brace and bit, scythe, axes, hatchets, chisels, marking tools......
Love old quality tools.
Did you ever use a scythe, or learn how to sharpen one?

They were tricky to use and sharpen. To properly sharpen one they used a hammer and a special anvil.

Man that was an art in itself. I've seen it done but never learned how to do it myself.
I've used scythes a bit, just to cut a bit of tall grass a couple of times. Never was good at it.

To think, they cut entire fields of wheat with those things! WOW!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2021, 06:04 AM

That is soooo awesome Ken. I was an old time logger in my previous life! I love this stuff
Old 12-14-2021, 08:07 AM

My old stuff was donated to Rod Miller, whose old iron and tools, are part of the tool museum here in Big Valley and well worth a look if anyone is in the area. Any train day when back to normal or arrangements can be made for visitors. This just may be the best collection in North America. Rod is no longer with us but the legacy he left is outstanding.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:20 AM

Love using the old tools, crosscut saws are fun. I have 3 different ones. There's lots of info out there on setting teeth, sharpening ect..I enjoy going out and felling/bucking with a buck saw and quality axe. Chain saws are fantastic tools but there's something about quietly going about a job...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2021, 09:35 AM

I have memories of working a small field, with an older friend who cut it with a scythe. We then made haystacks... I think I'm dating myself a bit here...

Never used a crosscut saw, but used a buck saw lots with my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I enjoy going out and felling/bucking with a buck saw and quality axe. Chain saws are fantastic tools but there's something about quietly going about a job...
Ain't that the truth!

When I'm doing trail maintenance, I will most often reach for a hand saw before I fire up the chainsaw - and that is one of the reasons. The other reason is that I like to let the saw cool down for a bit before continuing down the trail, and that takes time...
Old 12-14-2021, 09:46 AM

My Grandfather was a carpenter and plied the trade in the early half of the 1900's. I have a lot of his old tools and was taught how to use them. It makes me feel good when I can pull one out and put it to use. I have an old saw like yours that Grandpa likely used, it's hanging on the garage wall with a double bitted axe and his old Huron snowshoes.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:12 AM

I have quite a few old woodworking tools. I started collecting the old Stanley Chisels (750s and 720s) twenty or so years ago as users as they are high quality tools with great ergonomics and what companies like Lie Nielsen used to design their chisels. The prices have gone pretty crazy for the old ones now with the actual 750 or 720 logo and all or most of the original blade length. Part of my retirement fund! Quite a few other old tools as well, breast and eggbeater drills, carving tools, planes, marking gauges, etc.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:12 AM

I have a 4' one man, a 5' two man and a 6' two man cross cut, and a 5' felling two man saw. I love throwing one of them over a shoulder with an axe in hand and felling and processing a tree.. those times are getting fewer and further apart as my hands just cant take the abuse any longer...maintaing the old saws is half the fun..watching those big long shavings fall out of your cut with every push is a thing of beauty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Surprise surprise, I like old knives. Althought I have bought quite a few antique tools over the years, I usually sell them on after awhile…usually for a loss
Old 12-14-2021, 10:18 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Someone could paint a very nice picture on that old girl, I've seen a few done that way.
Please... No... Us antique saw heads shed a tear every time we see some poor saw that could be cleaned up and turned into a user all messed up with paint! Haha!

With some of these old saws you could very well be destroying value too, but truthfully it isn't that many that have large value to them. That's beside the point though. Save tool painting for junk newer saws (ie not pre-WW2) as those old tools are built better than most stuff today, and anything that can be refurbished for use by someone into that sort of thing, pass them along!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 12-14-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Gone Hunting

I am on the edge of my seat here, waiting to see what else Ken has.

I already know he has some cool stuff. He gave me one, an old old break action 12 gauge Cooey shotgun.

I spruced it up and went and shot a Goose with it. Then I hung it on my wall.
I didn't want to blow out the choke, besides it kicks like a Dixie Mule.

I figure it's chambered for rolled cartridges and probably has a short forcing cone to boot.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Surprise surprise, I like old knives. Althought I have bought quite a few antique tools over the years, I usually sell them on after awhile…usually for a loss
I like the knives to and i have around 20, some are old wooden handled butcher knives ,very sharp. and i have quite a few hatchets,and i have a few of the saws that Ken is showing plus an old hand saw with similar teeth must have been used by Conan the Barbarian lol,also have a wooden handled buck saw and an old steel handled buck saw that i used to cut wood with my dad in the 60s,i even have an ol sword and a 18 inch bayonet from ww1 and a japanese show sword with a nice brass ornated case.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:49 AM

My father sure knew what swed/crosscut saws were for. He made sure his 3 sons cut enough wood to heat both our house and store for a -50oC Peace River winter.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I am on the edge of my seat here, waiting to see what else Ken has.

I already know he has some cool stuff. He gave me one, an old old break action 12 gauge Cooey shotgun.

I spruced it up and went and shot a Goose with it. Then I hung it on my wall.
I didn't want to blow out the choke, besides it kicks like a Dixie Mule.

I figure it's chambered for rolled cartridges and probably has a short forcing cone to boot.
Cool i used to own one years ago,i still have a cooey 22. I also have an old 12 guage muzzle loader that i traded a 7mm rifle for 40 years ago its being held by my brother in law in Bristols Hope NFLD,who owns a big collection of old rifles and shotguns some with barrels 8ft long.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My father sure knew what swed/crosscut saws were for. He made sure his 3 sons cut enough wood to heat both our house and store for a -50oC Peace River winter.
I used to use the buck saw years ago,but never used a swede saw probably easier to use when sharpened properly i bet. I still have a few old saw vices maybe ill try sharpening the old swedes. Ive cut plenty of wood in days gone by , i once cut and split enough for the next fishing season in 1970 all with bucksaw and axe while fishing the Labrador coast.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Please... No... Us antique saw heads shed a tear every time we see some pow saw that could be cleaned up and turned into a user all messed up with paint! Haha!

With some of these old saws you could very well be destroying value too, but truthfully it isn't that many that have large value to them. That's beside the point though. Save tool painting for junk newer saws (ie not pre-WW2) as those old tools are built better than most stuff today, and anything that can be refurbished for use by someone into that sort of thing, pass them along!
I agree with you in preserving them and not painting on them.Ihave one here that my brother had sand blasted and painted in an industrial pipe shop one time, screwed it up i thought.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I have quite a few old woodworking tools. I started collecting the old Stanley Chisels (750s and 720s) twenty or so years ago as users as they are high quality tools with great ergonomics and what companies like Lie Nielsen used to design their chisels. The prices have gone pretty crazy for the old ones now with the actual 750 or 720 logo and all or most of the original blade length. Part of my retirement fund! Quite a few other old tools as well, breast and eggbeater drills, carving tools, planes, marking gauges, etc.
I have a few old stanleys as well and a bunch of other old ship building chisels and such,all good steel they dont make them like that any more.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
My Grandfather was a carpenter and plied the trade in the early half of the 1900's. I have a lot of his old tools and was taught how to use them. It makes me feel good when I can pull one out and put it to use. I have an old saw like yours that Grandpa likely used, it's hanging on the garage wall with a double bitted axe and his old Huron snowshoes.
I have a few pairs of old snowshoes not sure what kind they are though,one pair is pointed and another is round both with sinew lashings.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Cool i used to own one years ago,i still have a cooey 22. I also have an old 12 guage muzzle loader that i traded a 7mm rifle for 40 years ago its being held by my brother in law in Bristols Hope NFLD,who owns a big collection of old rifles and shotguns some with barrels 8ft long.
I had a Cooey .22 but my son borrowed it and lost it.

Old guns are my thing, but not so old they used Black Powder.

I refurbished an old hardware gun for my sister. It was a 12 gauge break action that's only mark said, nitro proofed. She found it in a pile of brush on the property they had just bought. The wood was bleached gray and it was locked up with rust. But it cleaned up real nice and I got the action working but it has a Damascus barrel so I recommended it never be fired.
Now it hangs on their wall.

I was given a pair of shotguns from the 1960s in only slightly better shape.
They were a Mossberg bolt action model 185KA 20 gauge and a Mossberg bolt action model 190 16 gauge.

Both have factory variable chokes.

I rebuilt them both, the look like new now and now the 16 gauge is my go to shotgun.

I also have a Savage pump shotgun that a friend found laying in the bush.
It also has a factory variable choke, actually it's a cutts compensator, variable choke/muzzle brake.

The action works fine but unfortunately it's beyond repairing. One side is pitted too badly to be safe and the butt stock and tang were broken off and both are missing.
But I keep just in case I need parts for one. I doubt very much I ever will, but I like it too much to toss it in the bin.

I posted photos of three of the shotguns a while back.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-14-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I have memories of working a small field, with an older friend who cut it with a scythe. We then made haystacks... I think I'm dating myself a bit here...

Never used a crosscut saw, but used a buck saw lots with my dad.

Ain't that the truth!

When I'm doing trail maintenance, I will most often reach for a hand saw before I fire up the chainsaw - and that is one of the reasons. The other reason is that I like to let the saw cool down for a bit before continuing down the trail, and that takes time...
I have a couple of old scythes one is aluminum and the other is wooden i sharpen them and use them cutting weeds lol,using them is definetly an art form that takes practice.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
going to add some antique tools too, see if you guys know anything about them
Bring it on Ken great thread i love the old stuff.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a 4' single man saw that something should be done with, but have no idea about them.

I have rarely seen the handle intact like the one you have here very cool.