Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 05:21 PM

Should a guy take this stuff to an antique auction?

I think facebook and kijiji are so hit and miss, but if you go to Scribners they throw all of it in a box with a bunch of junk that someone else hides it with and you dont get anything anyway.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-16-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Nice! Do you refinish them, or leave them as is?

Forgot about this old one, has been hanging stuck in the wall beside the garage man door since I built the garage in 2006

I never change them in any way except sharpening and occasional use like chunking up fish for canning.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:19 PM

What would a knife like that one be worth?
I have the same knife in very good condition except with a wider skinning type blade only writing on the blade is Solingen It was owned by my uncle in the 50's.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:30 PM

This one is German too, says Hoppe on it.

I found THE exact same one online, but you have to sign in to see the sold for price.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-16-2021, 06:45 PM

I would guess whatever someone is prepared to pay.

I am in conversation with a very nice AO member in Edmonton, trying to get him to trade me for a nice Bubba 9" at Cabelas that is $20 cheaper than TFH.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:27 AM

Here's my old Solingen that I polished up a few years back. My father (bless his soul) gave it to me many years ago. I believe he got it from his dad. Prior, who knows.

Has the following markings on it:

Anton Wingen - Solingen - Othello.

Maybe "polishing" it up was a bad idea...

Old 12-17-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Here's my old Solingen that I polished up a few years back. My father (bless his soul) gave it to me many years ago. I believe he got it from his dad. Prior, who knows.

Has the following markings on it:

Anton Wingen - Solingen - Othello.

Maybe "polishing" it up was a bad idea...

Those must have been popular back in the day. My dad gave me one just like it when I was a boy. The stag handle was rotten and loose. A few years ago I put a new hilt on it from a WT antler and gifted it to my brother.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have the same knife in very good condition except with a wider skinning type blade only writing on the blade is Solingen It was owned by my uncle in the 50's.
I just sold mine for $150 on Facebook

Old 12-17-2021, 11:09 AM

$150!

mine's marked buffalo brand Solingen Germany on the blade

Lamplough cutlery on the sheath

It's a good knife holds an edge must have been a common knife in the 50's

Old 12-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Default More knives

If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
$150!

mine's marked buffalo brand Solingen Germany on the blade

Lamplough cutlery on the sheath

It's a good knife holds an edge must have been a common knife in the 50's

That's a nice knife..
Old 12-18-2021, 10:48 AM

Boy we must All be suffering from "Hunter Withdrawl" we are getting excited about old saws and knives.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:56 AM

Here is an old axe. I believe it was used for squaring logs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (81.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 12-18-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Your correct it's called a hewing axe. That one looks in great shape. nice old peice of history

Old 12-18-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Those must have been popular back in the day. My dad gave me one just like it when I was a boy. The stag handle was rotten and loose. A few years ago I put a new hilt on it from a WT antler and gifted it to my brother.

Mine looks like that but its a Puma

I actually used it this year on a moose

I have this one too...."cox and co. Sheffield england

https://imgur.com/a/OE8pWLM

Last edited by huntinstuff; 12-18-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:18 PM

DISSTON CANADA TRADEMARK on this one. Saw teeth still extremely sharp.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Here are some quick snaps of just part of my collection. I have stuff going back from the 1700's to modern made. I have a massive collection of hand made miniature true functioning traditional slipjoints that were made as practice and proof of skill for cutlers back in the day as well as salesman samples. I have a couple little knives pulled off of shipwrecks too that are cool. I collect old paying cards too as you can see not tool related.

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post

Yup. I like that one
Old 12-18-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Here are some quick snaps of just part of my collection. I have stuff going back from the 1700's to modern made. I have a massive collection of hand made miniature true functioning traditional slipjoints that were made as practice and proof of skill for cutlers back in the day as well as salesman samples. I have a couple little knives pulled off of shipwrecks too that are cool. I collect old paying cards too as you can see not tool related.

Oh boy what a collection! Great to see
Old 12-18-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I have seen these before, this is in great shape, and for squaring logs I didn't know that.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post

That saw is in excellent condition. Beauty.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:37 PM

Nice collection Bob a lot of those pocket knives have passed through my hands I’ve had some sort of EDC pocket knife for most of my life
Old 12-18-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

That's a beautiful collection, and I especially like them miniature pocket knives, they are so cool,they were made I suppose for people who only used a knife occasionally and could fit most anywhere. I myself always carried a pocket knife and smaller was always the most convenient plus lots were very sharp and very functional.So what's the brand name on the one by the dimes,thanks? I seen an Uncle Henry on the top shelf,it's a top notch knife for sure.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
That's a beautiful collection, and I especially like them miniature pocket knives, they are so cool,they were made I suppose for people who only used a knife occasionally and could fit most anywhere. I myself always carried a pocket knife and smaller was always the most convenient plus lots were very sharp and very functional.So what's the brand name on the one by the dimes,thanks? I seen an Uncle Henry on the top shelf,it's a top notch knife for sure.
The ones you see by the dimes (just a few of the amount I have... I know I am over 80 of them now!) are actually all hand made and very old and have no maker mark at all. These were more a test of the cutler and a point of price and not made for sale. I don't know if you notice the one is actually ivory scaled with some scrimshaw in the scale!

I shouldn't say all of them were handmade, but the oldest and tiniest are. Some that get a bit bigger and the miniature scout knives are either salesman samples or just novelties for keychains etc.

I also have a lot of weird novelty ones like leg and fish knives, bakelite scales made to look like things etc...

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2021, 04:08 PM

My Mom had a tiny knife Bob. I don't know what ever happened to it, but thank you for that memory.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
My Mom had a tiny knife Bob. I don't know what ever happened to it, but thank you for that memory.
Cheers sir!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
On ebay these Anton Wingen solingen knives have recently sold for 100 to 160. Ebay is sort of a good indicator of average values. On ebay you can scroll down and on the left it has a 'sold items' category.

Beautiful collection TireBob. Really like the little pistol blade.
Neat to see and mention little knives. My mother had a tiny keychain or necklace knife that was really well made and maybe 3/4" opened. Blade was a solingen blade sharp as a razor. Had dark bone in the handle. Was not a production knife but had to have been made as a one off or in small numbers. My brother has it now.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-18-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
They are neat, but just not my thing. Right now they are just taking up space, and I am trying to clean.

I kept a few things that Dad and I used, like his brace and bit, some planes. A lot of this stuff is not from him, it can go away. I just have no idea what to ask for any of it.
Be sure to research just what kind of planes you have. There are serious collectors that pay accordingly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-18-2021, 05:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Be sure to research just what kind of planes you have. There are serious collectors that pay accordingly.
I have some knowledge on planes if you want a quick idea, but if something is potentially on the very high end of value, I know guys who will know every little in and out that affect things from being an okay plane to a crazy dollar piece.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2021, 05:22 PM

A great place to research and check out values online is: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/

Type the kind of item, even by trade name, into the search bar and it will bring up categories with active auctions online for those items with pictures and prices. There are some good articles in each category too. I use Collector's Weekly to check out everything old from aardvarks to zeppelins. Really good for finding out values on certain marbles, old fishing lures & tackle and even knives.

Worth checking out if a person is planning to sell certain things.