Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2021, 07:03 PM

Well Tirebob, and others...

Thanx for the memories! You guys have some pretty decent stuff!

Thanx for sharing...
Old 12-19-2021, 11:30 AM

Thats an excellent link thanks RED.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:39 AM

Tire BOB ,, that was my next question, were any made of ivory? Thanks.The scrimshaw makes them even more valuable in my opinion,and ive never seen hand made pocket knives before now.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:52 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Tire BOB ,, that was my next question, were any made of ivory? Thanks.The scrimshaw makes them even more valuable in my opinion,and ive never seen hand made pocket knives before now.
Lots of guys make them by hand even today. My good friend Paul Mason from England makes the most amazing traditional slipjoints as well as fixed blades. If you were to order one of his pieces today it would be over a 5 year wait and cost a small fortune lol! I say by hand... Obviously there is equipment like a grinder etc, but all his work is controlled by his hands without jigs for grinding or milling, zero electronics etc. He does every aspect with his hands as the controlling factor from beginning to end. He makes maybe one to two knives a week from scratch and every single piece is unique.

https://www.instagram.com/masonknives/?hl=en
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-19-2021, 01:18 PM

Some hatchets.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Lots of guys make them by hand even today. My good friend Paul Mason from England makes the most amazing traditional slipjoints as well as fixed blades. If you were to order one of his pieces today it would be over a 5 year wait and cost a small fortune lol! I say by hand... Obviously there is equipment like a grinder etc, but all his work is controlled by his hands without jigs for grinding or milling, zero electronics etc. He does every aspect with his hands as the controlling factor from beginning to end. He makes maybe one to two knives a week from scratch and every single piece is unique.

https://www.instagram.com/masonknives/?hl=en
That guy does some awesome work .
Old 12-19-2021, 03:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That guy does some awesome work .
He truly does.. I was fortunate enough to have him gift me one of his fixed blades a few years back. This was one of his own prototype designs and I had mentioned now much I loved it on a knife forum where he posted it for opinions (the first picture with the knife still un-marked). Well we stopped in for a visit while in England on holidays and he had marked it and his wife made a sheath for it for me. Damn near shed a tear! lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F58E0627-EC83-4BF5-B8EA-0025AEE4BDBF.jpg (21.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg F3A13368-03D7-4A08-A869-CA193CEF4331.jpg (29.9 KB, 37 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
He truly does.. I was fortunate enough to have him gift me one of his fixed blades a few years back. This was one of his own prototype designs and I had mentioned now much I loved it on a knife forum where he posted it for opinions (the first picture with the knife still un-marked). Well we stopped in for a visit while in England on holidays and he had marked it and his wife made a sheath for it for me. Damn near shed a tear! lol!
Gorgeous knife Bob!
Old 12-19-2021, 04:37 PM

TIRE BOB Thats awesome,is this a miniature?
Old 12-19-2021, 04:39 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
TIRE BOB Thats awesome,is this a miniature?
Haha! Nope...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-19-2021, 05:38 PM

The falling saw has never been in wood. Hard to find matching handles. Have a few saws . . . was a logger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (27.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (18.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
The falling saw has never been in wood. Hard to find matching handles. Have a few saws . . . was a logger.
That is one awesome saw,made for big timber,8ft long,a feller would have to know what he is doing to fall the size of tree this could cut Wow.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Wow love that felling saw. Its amazing to think the old time loggers used such saws every day. It was said those old boys used the axe to take a rest....from my limited experience it's true, pushing those big saws through timber is hard work, picking up your axe to chop your notch cut out allows the heart rate to slow down some.. that's a really cool saw

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Wow love that felling saw. Its amazing to think the old time loggers used such saws every day. It was said those old boys used the axe to take a rest....from my limited experience it's true, pushing those big saws through timber is hard work, picking up your axe to chop your notch cut out allows the heart rate to slow down some.. that's a really cool saw

Totally agree. The axe part is cool too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-20-2021, 05:31 PM

I just got on this thread, I have not heard of a cross saw in years, since when the first power saw came in to existance. Anyway MERRY XMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Wow...Those are nice!

I have always been the type that enjoys the older stuff...

Makes me understand how easy things are today...
Old 12-20-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

There are you tube videos of old time loggers using axes, cross cut saws and steam donkeys to fall and skid Douglas fir trees on the west coast. Definitely work watching if that sort of thing interests you. I also like watching videos of the old steam driven saw mills.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-20-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Here is an old axe. I believe it was used for squaring logs.
Hewing logs into beams with a broad axe seems to be regaining interest as there are plenty of you tube videos about it. Takes them all day to accomplish what our old sawmill will do in five minutes but I appreciate the artistry of it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-26-2021, 06:08 PM

more old stuff- anyone into refinishing / repurposing cabinets?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-26-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Those are nice!

Give me a day or so and I will send a pic of an old one I have in my shop (gifted to me) simply for a conversation piece...
Old 12-26-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

The top on that one is kind of plane looking
Old 12-26-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The top on that one is kind of plane looking
The larger one is a Jack plane and the shorter ones are Bench planes I believe....lol they are just plain planes though, lol
Old 12-27-2021, 11:11 AM

I still use the same planers to finish knotty pine boards to hang doors etc. I must be from Old School.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I still use the same planers to finish knotty pine boards to hang doors etc. I must be from Old School.
Not meaning to derail but how would you use pine boards to hang a door?
Old 12-27-2021, 11:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
The larger one is a Jack plane and the shorter ones are Bench planes I believe....lol they are just plain planes though, lol
The two Stanley planes are definitely post WW2. A quick assessment I would place the blue one being from the 60's called a Type 20. The number four I guess to be a Type 19 which was late 40's to early 60's. If you disassemble everything, ie the leaver cap, remove the blades and check out the frogs etc and get good shots of all the bits we could discern it a little more exact but I think I am on with those date ranges.

The made in England one though is a little tougher. Any better shots of it?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-27-2021, 07:45 PM

Here is the old plane I was taking about previously. Was gifted to me. Circa unknown...

Old 12-27-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Here is the old plane I was taking about previously. Was gifted to me. Circa unknown...

That's a pretty nice old plane.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

Thats very cool. The handle looks like it was repurposed from a handsaw