Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2021, 12:21 PM

Default Police training in Canada

I just read that Finland has one of the highest numbers of citizen owned firearms in the developed world far more than the US and Canada and there have been two police shootings that killed civilians in the last 10 years. The American cops kill 1000 per year . I’m convinced it is training that makes the difference. Edmonton city police requires 27 weeks of training. Finland… 3 years. Thoughts?
Old 12-24-2021, 12:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafwit View Post
I just read that Finland has one of the highest numbers of citizen owned firearms in the developed world far more than the US and Canada and there have been two police shootings that killed civilians in the last 10 years. The American cops kill 1000 per year . I’m convinced it is training that makes the difference. Edmonton city police requires 27 weeks of training. Finland… 3 years. Thoughts?
I think it goes far beyond just police training although that is certainly one aspect of it. You need to look at the general public construct as well. The first thing that comes to mind is how people behave towards the police over there. Do they have the same tendency towards disrespect? Do they have the same level of guns on the street in the hands of criminals that we have here? Do they have the same propensity to flee and threaten the police?

These are just a few quick questions that come to mind. Not even remotely close to all the subtle nuances that create differences between the two situations. My point being I think it is completely unfair to peg just one aspect as "the reason".

I will qualify this response as well by saying I really do not know the answer, but such a myopic view of the situation will not fix it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-24-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That would be pe rcapita I think.
Total population of U.S = 326 million
total population of Canada = 37 million
total population of Finland =5.5 million
Cat
Old 12-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but the US has a much higher rate of civilian gun ownership than any other country. Canada is even higher than Finland, not by much, but still higher.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...hip-by-country
Old 12-24-2021, 01:49 PM

still. 6 months vs. 3 years of training? 2 deaths in 10 years.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:54 PM

For the next 72 hours maybe we can think of other things to talk about then LEO'S .

Merry Xmas to all.

JD
Old 12-24-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
still. 6 months vs. 3 years of training? 2 deaths in 10 years.
Yup ,here’s a gun. Go get ‘em boys.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Yup ,here’s a gun. Go get ‘em boys.
If a person want to be amazed , they could always look at the training and licensing requirements for owning firearms and hunting in Europe.
That would be an eye opener
Cat
Old 12-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
For the next 72 hours maybe we can think of other things to talk about then LEO'S .

Merry Xmas to all.

JD
Merry Christmas JD…right now your words above is exactly what we should be thinking about….good post!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-25-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Merry Xmas to all.

JD
Yep you are right.

While you and your families are enjoying the holidays, the LEOs across Alberta and Canada are working to keep you, and you families safe.

Nice touch...

Merry Xmas to you too...
Old 12-25-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Yep you are right.

While you and your families are enjoying the holidays, the LEOs across Alberta and Canada are working to keep you, and you families safe.

Nice touch...

Merry Xmas to you too...
I was hopping this was not going to turn into some cop bashing thread as they turn into , maybe this is what you wanted or am i wrong here, if so i apologize.

Cheers
JD
Old 12-25-2021, 06:57 PM

Well what's up Phil ?

JD

Last edited by JD848; 12-25-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:05 PM

A guy reads some false information on the internet and is convinced in his beliefs.

You should read about their legal system, punishable offences, punishments, educational system, social services, and so on. Many, incorrectly, call it communism and free for all. The picture is much bigger than a fake story on the internet.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I was hopping this was not going to turn into some cop bashing thread as they turn into , maybe this is what you wanted or am i wrong here, if so i apologize.

Cheers
JD
I re read your post.

Appears as though I may have taken it out of context.

As such, I apologize...no need for you to do so...All good...

Merry Xmas!
Old 12-25-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If a person want to be amazed , they could always look at the training and licensing requirements for owning firearms and hunting in Europe.
That would be an eye opener
Cat
Agreed. Most European shooters are so well trained it puts us to shame.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The fins are slow learners!

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Default Police

The police are OK, its the justice system thats the problem. The police keep catching the same people over and over. And the first time someone is caught
is likely not the first time they needed correction.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
the police are ok, its the justice system thats the problem. The police keep catching the same people over and over. And the first time someone is caught
100%
Old 12-27-2021, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
The police are OK, its the justice system thats the problem. The police keep catching the same people over and over. And the first time someone is caught
X2
Old 12-27-2021, 11:02 PM

I have lived the most of my adult life in that part of the world and I can confirm. One of my high school friends went into police school. They were taught firearms, physical education and unarmed combat, communication, law.... 3 years long.
As for the police shooting, those countries are very social and this might affect the numbers.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
The police are OK, its the justice system thats the problem. The police keep catching the same people over and over. And the first time someone is caught is likely not the first time they needed correction.
An interesting point then to make is, since the comparison was made by the op, why is it different in the Nordic countries? Their punishments are noticeably softer than what we have here and rehabilitation rates are also higher.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 AM

The issue according to a friend that served over 30 years in the RCMP, and that finished his career at the training depot, is not the training, it's the people they started accepting into the force. I remember him telling us that many of the new recruits would never have been accepted into the force in the 70s, when he started his career. And of course our justice system has gone downhill as well, and is now badly broken.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The issue according to a friend that served over 30 years in the RCMP, and that finished his career at the training depot, is not the training, it's the people they started accepting into the force. I remember him telling us that many of the new recruits would never have been accepted into the force in the 70s, when he started his career. And of course our justice system has gone downhill as well, and is now badly broken.
X2 the fed correctional system is the exact same. Especially in the last 10 years I'd say.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:36 AM

I would be so bold as to suggest a huge part of those #’s is more due to the public that are being policed than the officers. Finland, being a Nordic country doesn’t have the weather that has lots of their citizens wandering around outside all night getting up to mischief and worse. There’s also the education levels to compare, factoring in literacy and such. What are the percentage of drug addicts and gangs in Finland compared to the USA? What are the employment #’s in both nations?

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the differences in police shooting #’s rather than merely the # of firearms per capita. Watch a few hours of YouTube video’s of police shootings in either nation and you’ll see why the USA has many, lots of perps simply force the matter and don’t leave officers with any other choice. Not suggesting that every last shooting is a good one, but most are. I doubt there will even be much, if any, video of police shootings in Finland.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
They've relaxed standards to a ridiculous low, a 120 lb. female has little choice when it comes to dealing with a 240 lb. belligerent male than to put a half dozen of slug in the center of mass.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Well we've been getting nothing but 300lb women and males who can barely speak English. Nothing against either one, just not suited for the job is all.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Your friend is right...
Old 12-28-2021, 10:23 AM

It's training and self discipline

I practiced monthly.

Im betting I went through 50-60 thousand rounds in 25 years.

I knew guys and gals that shot 20-50 rounds per year at their annual qualification and that is it.

I went through a ton of pens and notebooks in 25 years too.......

It all depends on how interested you are in the career and how proficient you choose to be with your equipment. I made my choices and it served me and the community well.

And every single time I pulled the trigger on my handgun or carbine, I meant it.

And there are 8 or 9 people still alive because I viewed my firearms as a last resort, not an option.

One year on my birthday it was -38. This bank robber shot at me twice as I chased him on foot near the railroad tracks on Calgary Trail. Could have shot him many times but didnt because I knew he sucked with a pistol and it just didnt seem fair. He knew he sucked with a pistol too because he dumped it and I caught him. He sucked at fighting too btw....

Last edited by huntinstuff; 12-28-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Our cops are adequately trained for what they have to do, as they choose to specialize so does the level of training, now they bust their butts catching bad guys/gals but the system is the issue....all I know is they are very busy around this area and if they weren’t out doing their job we would be in a hurt locker real quick.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Respect

With a very few exceptions respect for police is 4.5 out of 5
Respect for the justice system on a good day, maybe 1.5 out of 5
Respect for lawyers who defend a person who has been in court multiple
times, -3 out of 5
In the Nordic countries maybe the courts and police have earned public
respect, and criminals have learned respect for the courts. Which we
do not have here.