Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 12:26 PM

Default Vehicle back-up/proximity sensors in the winter

My sensors on the truck have been driving me nuts. I don't remember this problem be so bad last winter.
Basically, the sensors get covered in ice and snow due to condensation? I can wipe them all before leaving the house, and not even 10 minutes later i get warnings that they have been shut off.
Quick search online showed few tricks how to quickly and easily de-ice them, but is it even possible to stop them from icing over? Yes, I realise that in heavy snow, or after thaw when crap is flying everywhere it's impossible. But right now - barely any traffic on the roads, not tailgating anyone, clear skies...
Anyone has any tricks/hints?
Old 12-28-2021, 12:34 PM
Banned

Well you could use your mirrors and shoulder check. It's worked for decades and doesn't involve a reliance on technology.

When technology lets you down, and it will sooner or later, go back to more reliable methods.

Had a vehicle once with back up sensors. never liked them, never counted on them to bail me out. Seen many people back into stuff in parking lots because their sensors are obstructed by snow, etc. and they just blindly back on up.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Well you could use your mirrors and shoulder check. It's worked for decades and doesn't involve a reliance on technology.

When technology lets you down, and it will sooner or later, go back to more reliable methods.

Had a vehicle once with back up sensors. never liked them, never counted on them to bail me out. Seen many people back into stuff in parking lots because their sensors are obstructed by snow, etc. and they just blindly back on up.
Thank you for absolutely irrelevant reply.
My question was not "how do i drive when parking sensors fail".
It is "how to stop them from getting iced over".
I have no problem parking like "in good old times". It's warnings that annoy me. And people who act superior to others for no freaking reason.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:59 PM

Do you overnight your vehicle in a heated garage? If so the heated garage to the weather we are experiencing could cause the icing up of your sensors.

BW
Old 12-28-2021, 01:00 PM

There are slick little amazon kits that sell these little windshield washer bottles and integral spray motors with a couple nozzles and hoses, I bought one for my snowplow tractor. Maybe you could drill holes just above the sensors, and install the sprayers.
My F150 had a sprayer on the front camera, which was very helpful.
Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.ca/DYKL-12VUniver...s%2C160&sr=8-9

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Do you overnight your vehicle in a heated garage? If so the heated garage to the weather we are experiencing could cause the icing up of your sensors.

BW
Parking outside.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There are slick little amazon kits that sell these little windshield washer bottles and integral spray motors with a couple nozzles and hoses, I bought one for my snowplow tractor. Maybe you could drill holes just above the sensors, and install the sprayers.
Just a thought.

Thanks, that's the thought. However I'm afraid it's not really applicable. Have 8 sensors between the front and rear bumpers, so will need 4 of those kits, and it becomes to cluttered. Also, I'm kinda hesitant drilling holes in a '20 truck.
Thanks for the idea though, that kit may have different application, i'll keep it in mind.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:

So helpful. 🙄
Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Thanks, that's the thought. However I'm afraid it's not really applicable. Have 8 sensors between the front and rear bumpers, so will need 4 of those kits, and it becomes to cluttered. Also, I'm kinda hesitant drilling holes in a '20 truck.
Thanks for the idea though, that kit may have different application, i'll keep it in mind.
you could just buy nozzles and tees, wouldnt need all the kits. I get it though.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-28-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
That reminded me of a joke:
"Two guys get on the train, share a compartment. After the train departed and it was on the way, both of them had settled in. One of them then asks the other:
- Apologies for bothering you good sir. I have a bottle of premium scotch in my briefcase, the road is long... Would you care for a glass to share with me?

The other guy replies:
- Thanks, but I repectfully decline. I had tried scotch before once, didn't really like it.

- No problems. I hope you don't mind if I pour myself a glass. How about this nice cuban cigar? Hand rolled, straight from the factory, delivered to me just yesterday. Top shelf of the top shelves.

- Thanks, but I have to say "no" to the cigar as well. I had tried smoking before. Definetely not my cup of tea.

So the first guy picks up the glass of scotch, lights up the cigar, leans back in his chair, and tries to keep the conversation going...
- So, why are you on this train? Business or pleasure?
- Oh, I am on my way to see my son at his university for his birthday.
The first guy takes a sip of his scotch, puffs his cigar, and asks:
- I assume he's the only child?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Parking outside.

I park in a heated garage and have not had issues with mine outside of the fish eye camera lens getting dirty and snow covered. Even when things get fogged or dirty I've had no failures.

I do nothing special outside of keeping the truck warm and clean as much as possible. Dodge in my case.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just a thought.

That would be a very good solution to a more pressing problem than sensors. A while back I had a car that came with factory headlight sprayers to wash off dirt and salt spray from the lights. Worked great. When I got the truck I thought about how I could install something like that, but just resolved to pulling off the road every half hour to use the windshield squeegee on them.

Problem is, there's some narrower highways with a lot of transport truck traffic where pulling off to the side when you need to for any reason is tricky and dangerous. Some sections of Hwy 16 to Jasper come to mind.

So a better solution would be to mount a good 12v pump near the present windshield reservoir, and connect it to a hose with a strainer on the end led through the cap of the reservoir. Mount a couple of water jets in front of each headlight, and connect a distribution hose from the pump to the jets. Set up a solenoid switching circuit run through to the cab and powered from a terminal strip that connects all your high-amp stuff to the battery positive. https://www.amazon.ca/Lippert-689052...e%2C164&sr=1-4
I may just have talked myself into another project

Anyway, for sensors maybe not so good. The headlights are always warm to hot. So any remaining water dissipates quickly. Not sure how freezing cold sensors would react after getting doused with liquid. Backup mirrors just might be the better option.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
That would be a very good solution to a more pressing problem than sensors. A while back I had a car that came with factory headlight sprayers to wash off dirt and salt spray from the lights. Worked great. When I got the truck I thought about how I could install something like that, but just resolved to pulling off the road every half hour to use the windshield squeegee on them.

Problem is, there's some narrower highways with a lot of transport truck traffic where pulling off to the side when you need to for any reason is tricky and dangerous. Some sections of Hwy 16 to Jasper come to mind.

So a better solution would be to mount a good 12v pump near the present windshield reservoir, and connect it to a hose with a strainer on the end led through the cap of the reservoir. Mount a couple of water jets in front of each headlight, and connect a distribution hose from the pump to the jets. Set up a solenoid switching circuit run through to the cab and powered from a terminal strip that connects all your high-amp stuff to the battery positive. https://www.amazon.ca/Lippert-689052...e%2C164&sr=1-4
I may just have talked myself into another project

Anyway, for sensors maybe not so good. The headlights are always warm to hot. So any remaining water dissipates quickly. Not sure how freezing cold sensors would react after getting doused with liquid. Backup mirrors just might be the better option.
freezing cold windshields get doused with liquid every time you hit the sprayers. My camera never minded it, but I guess you never know. There are even heat exchangers made to send hot washer fluid.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:43 PM

Default Rear sensors

After I brush the snow off, I use windshield washer fluid in a handheld spray bottle. It seems to work for short trips around town. Unfortunately I have not found a successful solution if I am travelling for an extended period on heavy snow covered roads.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:57 PM

Default Turn them off?

Fortunately on my truck that is an option for me.

I am an old school driver ( the buzzers and camera generally annoy me ) but the sensors and buzzers get to be a real easy way to check around.

Hope you find a solution. YouTube might offer a suggestion.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2021, 03:30 PM

Ebrand system tells me to wipe the sensors and shuts them off. Until i shut the truck off, then they turn on again next time i start up the engine. I can, and i do, shut them off manually and they stay off. But it's not a solution, it's not what I'm asking for. How would you feel if you went to the doctor and your leg hurts, and the doctor says "well, stop walking then".
Old 12-28-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteyrSSG View Post
After I brush the snow off, I use windshield washer fluid in a handheld spray bottle. It seems to work for short trips around town. Unfortunately I have not found a successful solution if I am travelling for an extended period on heavy snow covered roads.
Thank you. I've seen this suggestion, unfortunately they result is also the same...

Looks like there's no long term solution.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:43 PM

What about a thin film of lubricant over the sensors? Clean em up good, quick spritz of silicone, lock or hinge lubricant, even WD40 might help keep ice from packing on. It’ll wear off quickly on slushy days, but it’ll stick well in frigid cold.

No sensors on my pickup but I do make use of these things to keep the fuel filler door and tailgate hinges from icing up in the winter
Old 12-28-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Ebrand system tells me to wipe the sensors and shuts them off. Until i shut the truck off, then they turn on again next time i start up the engine. I can, and i do, shut them off manually and they stay off. But it's not a solution, it's not what I'm asking for. [...]
Then it looks like you'll have to sit down for a week of evenings and engineer something yourself. Then build and refine it a couple of times.

The upside is you could then patent it and contract a local manufacturing shop to make a bunch and then sell them on Amazon and to the local truck dealers. If the problem is as pervasive as you think it is, there should be a ready market for it. A 40% markup on 50,000 units is a nice pile of cash. Just keep the quality level up or you'll lose out to offshore price cutting.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Then it looks like you'll have to sit down for a week of evenings and engineer something yourself. Then build and refine it a couple of times.

The upside is you could then patent it and contract a local manufacturing shop to make a bunch and then sell them on Amazon and to the local truck dealers. If the problem is as pervasive as you think it is, there should be a ready market for it. A 40% markup on 50,000 units is a nice pile of cash. Just keep the quality level up or you'll lose out to offshore price cutting.
Thanks, your contribution is noted and shelved right beside the one from YYC388.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:11 PM

Default I misunderstood your problem.

Quote:
Ebrand system tells me to wipe the sensors and shuts them off. Until i shut the truck off, then they turn on again next time i start up the engine. I can, and i do, shut them off manually and they stay off. But it's not a solution, it's not what I'm asking for. How would you feel if you went to the doctor and your leg hurts, and the doctor says "well, stop walking then".
My apologies.

I thought you were being annoyed with the sensors activating when they ice up or get snowed over...

I have no suggestions that will help you with your problem.

Best wishes on funding a solution.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Maybe all the sensors are on a fuse? Not sure how new the vehicle is but in your settings on your touch screen a shut off? I am lucky as I have had a shut off switch on my last 2 trucks.

Dodger.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
My sensors on the truck have been driving me nuts. I don't remember this problem be so bad last winter.
Basically, the sensors get covered in ice and snow due to condensation? I can wipe them all before leaving the house, and not even 10 minutes later i get warnings that they have been shut off.
Quick search online showed few tricks how to quickly and easily de-ice them, but is it even possible to stop them from icing over? Yes, I realise that in heavy snow, or after thaw when crap is flying everywhere it's impossible. But right now - barely any traffic on the roads, not tailgating anyone, clear skies...
Anyone has any tricks/hints?
Wonder if some of that spray windshield de-icer would work if you sprayed on before you leave if enough of it would hang on that it would help de-ice while you drive. Kinda like that rain x stuff that stays on windshield for a few days after application.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you for absolutely irrelevant reply.
My question was not "how do i drive when parking sensors fail".
It is "how to stop them from getting iced over".
I have no problem parking like "in good old times". It's warnings that annoy me. And people who act superior to others for no freaking reason.
You the guy they caught in BC, he already had his ticket for the day ? I sense an attitude.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-28-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Maybe all the sensors are on a fuse? Not sure how new the vehicle is but in your settings on your touch screen a shut off? I am lucky as I have had a shut off switch on my last 2 trucks.

Dodger.
the truck is 2020. have separate switches for front and back. back usually craps out sooner and more often, i blame design flaws - each pair of sensors are on each side of the exhaust pipe. more moisture, warm air...

Methinks need something that is water repellent, can be applied as a thin film as not to affect the functionality of the sensors.
I only semi-solution i have seen so far, both here and on the WWW is to keep a small spray bottle of windshield fluid handy and spray them before leaving the house. I might just try that and see how it goes.
Have seen another suggestion that was just "wax" but nothing specific. maybe i'll try wd40 or Katzass or similar... After making sure it will not mess up them sensors permanently.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Proximity

If it’s that new maybe the sensors can be replaced under warranty.should be more than just you having this issue. Maybe there is a fix for it
Old 12-28-2021, 06:29 PM

clean up connections, spray your sensors and connections with alcohol ,or air
brake antifreeze , follow the wiring

wipe down , and dry ( heat gun or hair drier )

try using WD 40 water resistant silicone spray on the connections

cover with heat shrink

drive unit

also maybe its only one, try isolation if possible
Old 12-28-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
You the guy they caught in BC, he already had his ticket for the day ? I sense an attitude.

Grizz
It looks like this thread just calls for inner comedian in me. I've already told a joke. Here's another one.
The situation described is common in russian community, not only here in Edmonton, but also anywhere else in Canada, and everywhere in the world, from Germany to Israel to Australia to SAR - anywhere where russians are. Here's the loose translation, hopefully without losing the meaning.
"American (Canadian, German, etc internet forums):
Question:
-Where can i buy apples?
Answers:
-Well, there's always Costco, Safeway, Superstore
-Don't forget Save-on, and IGA
-There are farmers' markets on ...days in ... parts of the city
-Here's the phone number and the address of the farm not so far from city, a little longer drive, but worth it.

Russian forum in Canada/Germany/etc
Question:
-Where can i buy apples?
Answers:
-Why do you need apples, why don't you buy oranges, they are better for you!
-You lazy ass mothertrucker, do you want everything served to you on the silver platter??? Why don't you get off your аss, and go look for apples like I did 35 years ago when i got here.
-C'mon guys, why can't anyone help this person??? Is it so hard to tell him where to buy apples?
-Apples are good for you, but it's covid, everything is locked down, just stay home for the time being.
-etc
"

In this joke the native countries are described as down to business and straight to the point. What I noticed here it's definetely not the same.

I hope your comment about the attitude was "tongue in the cheeck" kind. Because by God it is really hard to keep the cool when, having asked "how to prevent _ from happening" you get replies like "only pussiеs use that" and "why don't you just shut it off if it annoys you". I really wanted to point out that reading comprehension was part of the school program for the long time and it looks like some people here need to borrow the school books from their grandchildren and review it again, while others sound like stereotypical blonds from politically incorrect jokes of past "I just turn the radio up so I don't hear the rattling". But I didn't.
What I noticed recently is i am becoming a bit toxic in my interactions on the internet, AO forum including, and one of my resolutions is to actually take 5 before typing the reply, and waiting another 5 before submitting it. But sometimes it hard... soooo hard to try to keep my mouth shut. Especially when obviously irrelevant comment gets called out, and suddenly I have the attitude problem.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!!
Old 12-28-2021, 06:31 PM

I'm certain ice snow and dirt build up is not specifically covered by warranty.

My truck on a snow day can get 4" deep on the tailgate and rear bumper, not a lot will help that.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip View Post
clean up connections, spray your sensors and connections with alcohol ,or air
brake antifreeze , follow the wiring

wipe down , and dry ( heat gun or hair drier )

try using WD 40 water resistant silicone spray on the connections

cover with heat shrink

drive unit

also maybe its only one, try isolation if possible
Sensors work perfectly when clean. The problem is the environment. Moisture in the air freezes on colder surfaces of the bumper/sensors and after a while the build up makes them think there's obstruction. The truck is smart enough to realize if there's obstruction all around you for more then 5 minutes especially when you're driving then the sensors must be dirty/covered in something. So it tell me to clean them up and shuts off until i do. There's no electrical problem.