Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 06:44 PM

Exclamation Just had a nice chat with the Police. People are stupid.

Now hold onto your socks, as amazing as this, it is true. If you leave your keys in your vehicle, there is a good possibility that some idiot will steal it! I know, no way huh?

Why are people still doing this?

I know Larry the cable guy says 'sometimes you gotta crash the truck to get the insurance money to make the truck payments' but c'mon!

Be smart people. This is not smart.

Truck stolen 45 miles from here yesterday, hidden here today. Police have contacted the owner who is enroute to get his 2021 f250.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-28-2021, 06:47 PM

That’s what I am doing wrong. I keep forgetting to leave the keys in my truck .
Old 12-28-2021, 06:55 PM

F250? I'm guessing the keys were left in it on purpose and the owners prayers were answered
Old 12-28-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
F250? I'm guessing the keys were left in it on purpose and the owners prayers were answered
Maybe. Had it been a dudge it would still be there

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Maybe. Had it been a dudge it would still be there
If it wasn't plugged in that is quite possible lol
Old 12-28-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
That made me laugh….
Old 12-28-2021, 08:56 PM

These days that is almost asking for someone to steal it. What are the insurance guidelines on this? I'm sure they'd want to know how the thief started the vehicle. Or is it covered whether it had the keys in the ignition or not.

A couple of years ago didn't a couple of people in the winter Olympics steal a hummer that was left running? And got in a lot of crap over it?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Old 12-28-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
These days that is almost asking for someone to steal it. What are the insurance guidelines on this? I'm sure they'd want to know how the thief started the vehicle. Or is it covered whether it had the keys in the ignition or not.

A couple of years ago didn't a couple of people in the winter Olympics steal a hummer that was left running? And got in a lot of crap over it?

Some insurance companies use it as a way to get out of paying without litigation. Some still pay.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The best security system would be to buy a Chevy. The company had a couple of them that when it hit 0 degrees even with it plugged in wouldn’t start. So it was ok to leave the keys in them!
Old 12-29-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
The best security system would be to buy a Chevy. The company had a couple of them that when it hit 0 degrees even with it plugged in wouldn’t start. So it was ok to leave the keys in them!
0°? What the heck are you talking about? That's not even cold lol.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
0°? What the heck are you talking about? That's not even cold lol.

Yea, The dealerships fix was “ park them inside a heated building”
Old 12-30-2021, 05:35 AM

Statistics say Ford trucks are among the most often stolen vehicles. Apparently all you need is a big screwdriver and a pair of Vicegrips.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:26 AM

When I am not at home, the keys to all of my vehicles, snowmobile, motorcycle etc are hidden,I don't have a keyhook by the door like many people. A friend was on vacation, and thieves broke into his home, and stole both of their vehicles, because the keys were hanging in plain sight. They loaded up valuables into the vehicles,and just opened the garage door and drove away, with nobody suspecting what was going on.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:44 AM

Do people really leave their cars unlocked when warming them up on cold days?? Thats what the second set of keys are for.. start car, use second set to lock doors while its warming up.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
Do people really leave their cars unlocked when warming them up on cold days?? Thats what the second set of keys are for.. start car, use second set to lock doors while its warming up.
Crackheads will break the window to steal it the remote is the best
Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 AM

You can't fix stupid. If you are stupid enough to leave your vehicle unattended while it's unlocked and running that's your fault. Insurance companies shouldn't cover it either. I have seen times where idiots do this at a 7 Eleven for example with their child in the vehicle, come out and it's gone. No sh!t sherlock. Now there calling the police hysterically....I was only in there for a couple of minutes.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Crackheads will break the window to steal it the remote is the best
yeah i would love to get one installed but thats down the road a bit when it comes to things i have to spend money on haha. But i damn sure lock the door with my second key every time.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
With some vehicles, you can't lock the keys in the vehicle. They idiot proofed the vehicles to keep people from accidentally locking their keys in the vehicle.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Statistics say Ford trucks are among the most often stolen vehicles. Apparently all you need is a big screwdriver and a pair of Vicegrips.
I read that but it didn't hold true for me. I was actively trying to get my piece of crap 2013 F150 stolen. I'd leave the keys in it, I'd leave it unlocked all night, leave it unlocked in the worst parts of Edmonton...no joy. I just couldn't get rid of that truck. It was as if the universe knew what a pile of junk it was.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
weird my chevies always start . You must mean 0 degrees Fahrenheit ? lol . I ve heard of 2 stolen vehicles this week . One Honda car and a gmc suv , neither had keys in it . My GMC truck is snow covered and parked on street but its too old I think and doesn't look active. I know it will start though . The honda was a block from me and the second honda in my hood stolen recently
Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The best security system would be to buy a Chevy. The company had a couple of them that when it hit
0 degrees even with it plugged in wouldn’t start. So it was ok to leave the keys in them!
My '96 Silverado and '02 Cavalier laughed'N'laughed out loud at the above...
Old 12-30-2021, 11:29 AM

Now I know this is my answer for everything but they need to make jail cells a lot smaller so they can start housing more people and start teaching these low ends some real life lessons on not screwing around. Some poor fool in another country steals a loaf of bread to feed his family and gets his hand cut off. And what would we do to that same guy? We'd spend thousands of dollars to punish him.

It's harder for people with older vehicles without remote start. And getting a second key isn't always cheap and easy. Some need to be programmed. I know if someone left their car running at the 7-11 and it got stolen We'd all say it's their own fault. But it shouldn't be.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With some vehicles, you can't lock the keys in the vehicle. They idiot proofed the vehicles to keep people from accidentally locking their keys in the vehicle.
I took my new truck back to the dealer, the range on the keyfob is horrible. He said it is all part of stupidproofing. He says the reason you can not autostart the vehicle more than twice is to stop vehicle assisted suicides, and says the remote start is tied in with that.

Yet the fordpass allows me to start the truck from another continent.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Now I know this is my answer for everything but they need to make jail cells a lot smaller so they can start housing more people and start teaching these low ends some real life lessons on not screwing around. Some poor fool in another country steals a loaf of bread to feed his family and gets his hand cut off. And what would we do to that same guy? We'd spend thousands of dollars to punish him.

It's harder for people with older vehicles without remote start. And getting a second key isn't always cheap and easy. Some need to be programmed. I know if someone left their car running at the 7-11 and it got stolen We'd all say it's their own fault. But it shouldn't be.

I saw a place in Lloydminster offering 'cheapest remote start install anywhere' for $500 and then you start adding options like door lock, etc.
I bet it is a grand in Ft Mac, where labor rate is $230/hr at Ford.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Here’s a stupid thought. Why not just shut the vehicle off when you run into a store, or start the vehicle and let it run while you clean the snow and scrape the windows and if you don’t have to clean the car off maybe just sit in it for 5 mins while it warms up and then go.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a dodge guy myself. Up until a couple years ago ran diesels since '95.
Worst diesels I have seen for starting (or lack thereof) were the ford 6.0 L. Stiff west wind and they have a tough time starting. And that's not even the worst thing about them....
Old 12-30-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Here’s a stupid thought. Why not just shut the vehicle off when you run into a store, or start the vehicle and let it run while you clean the snow and scrape the windows and if you don’t have to clean the car off maybe just sit in it for 5 mins while it warms up and then go.
All first world problems. Imagine what someone from the 50's would say. Even an old lady would probably call us a bunch of pansies lol. My old heavy chevy didn't even come with a heater. But..... I love my heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The best security system would be to buy a Chevy.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I saw a place in Lloydminster offering 'cheapest remote start install anywhere' for $500 and then you start adding options like door lock, etc.
I bet it is a grand in Ft Mac, where labor rate is $230/hr at Ford.
If I am paying for a remote start to be installed in my vehicle, it won't be at Ford, the aftermarket systems like Compustar have far more range than any factory remote starter than I have used, and it's cheaper at the aftermarket vendors, than having a dealer install the unit.