Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 08:19 PM

Default WestJet or Air Canada

We are headed to Montreal in August and we have hit a dilemma. We usually fly WestJet everywhere we fly, but the WestJet flights to and from Montreal don’t really work for our timing. Air Canada has flights that work for us but the last time I flew with them it was a nightmare and I have not heard anything positive about them recently. I am looking for feedback on air Canada and to see if the rumours are still true that you need to avoid air Canada like the plague.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:40 PM

A couple weeks ago we flew from Edmonton through Toronto to Moncton with air canada. It went smooth. Hopefully the return flight is the same.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:48 PM
Banned

Air canada flights will be delayed for sure or cancelled
Then there is the issue with baggage
Old 07-18-2022, 08:54 PM

I was in Montreal in April.
WestJet there air Canada on the way back.
It was before all the issues with air travel and we didn’t have any either way.
But, the air Canada flight was way better.
More comfortable seats. Movies in the headrest. Better service etc.

Way nicer overall.
Bit of a crap shoot these days though

And Montreal is friggin awesome!!
Would go back in a heartbeat.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:17 AM

Should all be fine...all carriers are spooling up, but they are all held hostage by the world around them that is getting back on track. AC always gets a bad rap because they are any easy target. One thing that is affecting everyone are the staffing issues with themselves and especially airport authority's
Old 07-19-2022, 10:08 AM

Just came back from Spain Air Canada. Eight hour delay in Montreal, ( no pilots, no food/ drink ready to load at Montreal). Arrive YEG at 3:am. Waiting for my luggage 🧳 (1 week later). I’ll take Anything but AC next time.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:19 AM

I am not a Westjet fan, haven't been for about 10 years since they squeezed down the seating, started the nickel and dime routine and lost all in-flight amenities. I usually fly AC. That said, AC got hundreds of millions in Stabilization funds to keep their staff through Covid. They fired over 50% anyhow. Now they are reaping the rewards and making their clients suffer for their atrocious management. SIL just flew to Germany with AC, 5 days ago. Won't give you the long version, but VERY bad trip. She was booked first class, 2 days delayed, slept one night in the airport, still no idea where her luggage is. It really is a crap shoot, but Westjet has had far fewer problems over the past two months, and that shows up in fact based reporting of cancellations and delays. If it was me, I would be making the WJ times work, at least right now.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:22 AM

Last Thursday my sister was coming back from Toronto with AC. Her flight was supposed to arrive in Calgary at 10:06pm. It got cancelled and she arrived at 3am next day.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:43 AM

I fly Calgary to Montreal every 4 weeks (work a 2 and 2 schedule at a mine that flies out of there) I have been flying air Canada because they offer direct flights. I haven’t had any issues as of yet although it seems to be getting worse. I would say the luggage system is terrible in Montreal, you’ll be waiting probably a solid hour for your luggage. You need to allow a lot of time to do anything in the Montreal airport, it took a half hour to get a coffee at Timmy’s as an example 2 weeks ago, I also showed up 3 hours before my flight home and that was about enough time.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:48 AM

WestJet is an Alberta company. I like supporting our own.

As far as AC is concerned - I think everyone mentioned the recent nightmares and it seems it`s not getting any better.

I fly several times a month for business. Overall WJ is far better compared to AC for everything from delays, to baggage claim, to etc.. etc...

I think that sums it up.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:04 AM

Potato-potato, tomato-tomato!.. Non of them are your friends. They are all in after your money and least service provided. I feel no love to any of them. Got screwed by both. I usually go with the best connection, cheaper price and best timing for arrival or departure. No loyalty, no love.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:14 AM
Banned

I and my family flew Air Canada from Edmonton to Montreal over the weekend and it was smooth. No hiccups at all.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:09 PM

Flying to Ottawa later this week on Air Canada. Had better departure / arrival times and better price than Westjet.

Flying back from Hamilton on Westjet as Air Canada does not offer flights from there.

Only have carry-on luggage so no fear of it getting lost.

When I flew back from Mexico in April on Westjet, one bag got "lost' in Calgary. Bag wasn't actually lost, but lack of ground crews resulted in the bag not being transferred to my final flight due to a short turn around time.

Really never had a bad experience with either airline. I choose my flights based on times and cost - whoever has the better to meet my schedules is the one i choose.

Mr Conservation
Old 07-19-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
WestJet is an Alberta company. I like supporting our own.

As far as AC is concerned - I think everyone mentioned the recent nightmares and it seems it`s not getting any better.

I fly several times a month for business. Overall WJ is far better compared to AC for everything from delays, to baggage claim, to etc.. etc...

I think that sums it up.
Not an Alberta company anymore and it is no where near what it originally set out to do
Old 07-19-2022, 01:08 PM

My family and I used to support WestJet but since it has been taken over by a private equity company in 2019, we now travel with whichever carrier has the best prices, flights or times. Still headquartered in Calgary but owned out of Toronto
Old 07-20-2022, 08:19 AM

Just saw in the news that Westjet might be having to deal with a strike by one of its unions on July 27th. If that happens what a sh*tshow travelling by air will become this summer.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Not an Alberta company anymore and it is no where near what it originally set out to do
Like others have pointed out - ownership has changed like with any evolving business - and it went from public to private - but the head offices, the jobs, and the positive impact is here in Calgary as a result of that company being here in Alberta.

I have seen no significant migration away from the core values (despite the ownership in the background).

It seems to me, the private equity guy behind this is using this as an asset to return vessel and nothing else. He's not looking to change a good thing. It's a tool.

I am currently working for a "tool" (a very large private equity company owns us and IRONICALLY happens to share ownership and some assets with the same investor as the guy behind the WJ acquisition) and all they want is a return on assets. They stay out of us running the business, are not trying to change the culture, the strategic direction and operating plan - and I can absolutely confirm that ..... so to assume things are changing to some nefarious agenda just because ownership changed seems speculative and presumptuous to me.

I also have first hand exposure to the sponsors (board) - so what I'm saying isn't speculation.

Bottom line is WestJet benefits Alberta FAR MORE compared to AC. That was my point. Jobs, people, infrastructure, and WJ's companies and other Alberta companies who supply service and contract under WJ are here. Janitorial, fuel suppliers, outside contractors, food service, etc... all outside of WJ working out of Calgary .... WJ is good for Alberta.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:33 AM

I'd rather walk than fly Air Canada.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Like others have pointed out - ownership has changed like with any evolving business - and it went from public to private - but the head offices, the jobs, and the positive impact is here in Calgary as a result of that company being here in Alberta.

I have seen no significant migration away from the core values (despite the ownership in the background).

It seems to me, the private equity guy behind this is using this as an asset to return vessel and nothing else. He's not looking to change a good thing. It's a tool.

I am currently working for a "tool" (a very large private equity company owns us and IRONICALLY happens to share ownership and some assets with the same investor as the guy behind the WJ acquisition) and all they want is a return on assets. They stay out of us running the business, are not trying to change the culture, the strategic direction and operating plan - and I can absolutely confirm that ..... so to assume things are changing to some nefarious agenda just because ownership changed seems speculative and presumptuous to me.

I also have first hand exposure to the sponsors (board) - so what I'm saying isn't speculation.

Bottom line is WestJet benefits Alberta FAR MORE compared to AC. That was my point. Jobs, people, infrastructure, and WJ's companies and other Alberta companies who supply service and contract under WJ are here. Janitorial, fuel suppliers, outside contractors, food service, etc... all outside of WJ working out of Calgary .... WJ is good for Alberta.
Very fair comment...maybe we need an AIR RYAN today in NA to kick start competition again
Old 07-20-2022, 12:04 PM

Wife flyng with Flair, Looked at list of extra charges now worse than power or natural gas bills. Charge for carry on, boarding pass etc etc. Told wife other day probably going to charge to use washroom next " Probably $10 to Pee, $20 to poop, but only 50 cents if you f-rt"
Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 PM

Default WJ Strike

Just heard that WJ Baggage people may be going on strike as early as the 27th.
My wife is fly back on the 28th, guess we will wait and see what happens.
WDF
Old 07-20-2022, 12:24 PM

I’ve flown with flair the last 3 trips to Toronto. Once a month I’ve been going and they have all went smoothly.. as for paying for carry on, I’ve checked in each time online and have yet to have to pay for my bag. I’ve went through security and onto the plane without anyone ever checking if I paid for the carry on or not. Will be doing that each and every time until they ask and when they do “oops I must have forgot” they gouge you for everything with flair or swoop.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

..."Probably $10 to Pee, $20 to poop, but only 50 cents if you f-rt"
This literally made me laugh out loud...
Old 07-21-2022, 07:46 AM

My buddy, wife, and son are flying Cgy - Hfx this weekend to visit (she's from Hfx too) for a week... Air Canada.

I told him he's crazy, but he said it was the only direct flight available with either airline.

We'll see how it goes, I'm supposed to pick them up Saturday ~6pm at Hfx Int'l.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Also consider it's at least a Canadian PE firm who bought WJ. And the founder of the firm has wanted an airline for years to be part of the portfolio... other wise, the usual PE model is they want returns & growth or they gut the company and sell it for parts.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Wife flyng with Flair, Looked at list of extra charges now worse than power or natural gas bills. Charge for carry on, boarding pass etc etc. Told wife other day probably going to charge to use washroom next " Probably $10 to Pee, $20 to poop, but only 50 cents if you f-rt"
How much to use the barf bag? They reuse those too?
Old 07-21-2022, 02:51 PM

My experience with Canadian airlines pretty much mirrors everyone's in Canada
There's only one of the two whose (private) motto is said to be:
"We're not happy 'till you're not happy"
(international service is a different thing)

Westjet has definitely gone down in customer service since the big takeover but, given the competition?
Old 07-25-2022, 09:18 PM

Flew Air Canada from Moncton through Toronto to Edmonton on Friday. Flights went smooth, no delays but they left one of our bags in Toronto. It was delivered to the house Sunday morning.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
My buddy, wife, and son are flying Cgy - Hfx this weekend to visit (she's from Hfx too) for a week... Air Canada.

I told him he's crazy, but he said it was the only direct flight available with either airline.

We'll see how it goes, I'm supposed to pick them up Saturday ~6pm at Hfx Int'l.
Their flight was on time... But A/C dropped the ball again and left 1 of their suitcases in Calgary.

It's still there 4 days later, buddy had put a Tile tracker in his suitcase.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I'd rather walk than fly Air Canada.
Exactly