Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2022, 03:16 PM

Default Let the Long Weekend Begin!

Wishing everyone a safe long weekend! Hope you guys and gals get to spend some time with the kids or loved ones and with air conditioning!

Let’s keep everyone safe on the roads and on the lakes! If opportunity allows for it, make some memories with the kids, and don’t over indulge if you don’t want to pay the price the next day lol. The advice I got from my brother today about camping for the long weekend with the kids was “keep patience high and short temperedness low” lol. He told me that sometimes the best memories are made by making an effort to go out of my way to put my needs second and make others feel like a priority. Seems reasonable. Everyone appreciates feeling like they matter for sure and if we all treat each other that way, the positivity and happiness should spread right?! Or does that not apply with teenagers lol?!.

If anyone has any great plans they feel like sharing, would love to hear about them!
Old 07-29-2022, 03:25 PM

I prefer to play it safe by being close to home on the long weekend. I think of it as hazard mitigation through hazard exposure reduction.

If you must go on the highways this weekend, please be a defensive driver, and ensure you are sober and rested while doing so. There’s no need to be in a hurry.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2022, 03:40 PM

My father didn't drink, but he did have a bumper sticker that said, if you are going to drive, drink, face the traffic with confidence. 😈

Hope everyone has a great and safe log weekend. Weather should be great.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:41 PM

Smart people go on the week end after the long ones.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-29-2022, 04:11 PM

Living in Jasper you learn to not plan anything on long weekends. Can't get anywhere without tourist tomfoolery! Walks or groceries early in the morning and then hide out at home. Be safe out there!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-29-2022, 06:45 PM

I got boat ready, cooler full of beer, camper hooked up, fridge full of whisky and mix! Ready to hit the road!!!

Oh wait.... gotta haul bales all weekend instead....

Seriously....be safe and have fun out there!
Old 07-29-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Living in Jasper you learn to not plan anything on long weekends. Can't get anywhere without tourist tomfoolery! Walks or groceries early in the morning and then hide out at home. Be safe out there!
We do the same especially with the Canmore Woke Festival happening. I wouldn't go downtown on a bet until Tuesday.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Exactly what I do. Gave up on the long weekend looney tunes years ago. Besides every weekend is like a long weekend for me. I don't work Sat, Sun or Mon. A long weekend for me, I would have either Friday or Tuesday off. LOL Been doing it for just over 20 yrs. Seen too many bad accidents and stupid crap go on with the long weekends. Be safe out there people with whatever you are doing. Come home safe
Old 07-30-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
We do the same especially with the Canmore Woke Festival happening. I wouldn't go downtown on a bet until Tuesday.
I would go to Valbellas for lunch, should be quiet there. Haha!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-30-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Old 07-30-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I would go to Valbellas for lunch, should be quiet there. Haha!
A couple of rainbow warriors from Banff are trying their hardest to shut Valbellas down with no thought to the 40+ innocent people who work there. Long time locals are supporting them thru this difficult situation and I will continue to do so. One bad apple doesn't mean you clear cut the whole orchard.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 AM

I will continue to support them too! They have always been great. I sure hope they survive. Happy safe long weekend! The warriors will make it about themselves!

Old 07-30-2022, 09:55 AM

BVJ is on , and most Camrose residents either get out of town, or stay home , until it's over. lol I did get a laugh the other night though, on my way to the range, watching the police hiding behind bushes, trying to catch people in a 50km zone, just before the BVJ site.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
BVJ is on , and most Camrose residents either get out of town, or stay home , until it's over. lol I did get a laugh the other night though, on my way to the range, watching the police hiding behind bushes, trying to catch people in a 50km zone, just before the BVJ site.

Typical, aren't they just the greatest welcoming committee. Can you think of a better way of saying, y'all come back now. A real boon to tourism. Putzs of the first order. Camrose gets a ton of business from that event, if I was the Mayor I would be having a real serious talk with the local Sargent.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I will continue to support them too! They have always been great. I sure hope they survive. Happy safe long weekend! The warriors will make it about themselves!
So what is the actual story behind this eating establishment and the attempts to put them out of business.? Never mind, Google found it for me. Next time I am Canmore, I will drop in to buy something there. Seems a little over blown, forgive the pun, considering they apologised and fired the person that sent the email.

Wonder if it occurs to folks that the Rainbow alphabet only covers less than 4% of the population according to available data. That is a pretty small minority trying to dictate their view to a whole lot of people. You would lose a lot more business if you peed off people with a Gluten Allergy, about 25% of the population.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/fallout-f...oods-1.6004966

Last edited by Dean2; 07-30-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So what is the actual story behind this eating establishment and the attempts to put them out of business.?
The owners son replied to a request for a donation for an upcoming pride event in Canmore in the fall and his reply went viral and it was way over the top. He could have just said no. CBC, Global, CTV all ran with the story. You should be able to find it on the net.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:45 AM

Rainbow?? 4%? That should be enough to justify a small minority group in Canada to justify the cause, right? I'm probably out of line here. Remember the song "Somewhere over the Rainbow" Were the Munchkins??? "We represent the Lollipop Three"
Old 07-30-2022, 12:42 PM

Default Highway Driving

Powerbait sculptures for stocked trout with the family, then fly fishing forestry trunk road with an old friend.

I’ll be counting three Mississippi’s traveling distance from the vehicle in front of me on the highway. There’s the arschlovs who take that space to pass their way to the fast way home.

Drive safe, sober and alert. Good luck to all out there!
Old 07-30-2022, 03:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz

Or before.

Crazy how everything goes haywire on these wk-ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Or before.

Crazy how everything goes haywire on these wk-ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding. There have been 4 fatalities on the roads and it sounds like maybe a couple of drowning already, and it's only Saturday.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
So what is the actual story behind this eating establishment and the attempts to put them out of business.? Never mind, Google found it for me. Next time I am Canmore, I will drop in to buy something there. Seems a little over blown, forgive the pun, considering they apologised and fired the person that sent the email.

Wonder if it occurs to folks that the Rainbow alphabet only covers less than 4% of the population according to available data. That is a pretty small minority trying to dictate their view to a whole lot of people. You would lose a lot more business if you peed off people with a Gluten Allergy, about 25% of the population.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/fallout-f...oods-1.6004966
Hard to calmly deal with hyper sensitive idiots

Part of being in a free country is being able to decide wht you agree with, what you wont be forced into believing, and saying so

Wanna be lgtbqs2plus etc? Go ahead. Just shut up about it. No one else cares what you do. Go do your thing, Ill do mine, and we will get along fine. Get.preachy about and and I will shut my ears off.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:15 PM

Defiling Scripture has become a fad!
Old 07-30-2022, 05:28 PM

I am working all weekend so it could **** down rain for all I care, sorry folks.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:47 PM

Thought I would use the spare time this weekend to pull the panels off my front bay window to fix a cold spot and finish the outer paneling off with some stack stone siding...Tore off the lower sheathing only to find that most spots between joists only had crumpled up poly or insulation bags to fill the voids and 2 had nothing. No wonder that spot was cold and great shotty work by whoever built the place.
A bit of extra work and materials added lol...Glad I tore everything apart
Old 07-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
oh yeah...long weekend....woo

first thing this morning

hope everyone remembers that fires burn in the rain too

WOW !! That will NOT buff out !!
Old 07-31-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No kidding. There have been 4 fatalities on the roads and it sounds like maybe a couple of drowning already, and it's only Saturday.
That's one of the reason's why I stay home. The long weekends seem to bring out the worst in some people or just bring out the worst people. Wonder if it has something to do with the extra day off? And we thought the full moon brought out the crazies!!!
Old 07-31-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
That's one of the reason's why I stay home. The long weekends seem to bring out the worst in some people or just bring out the worst people. Wonder if it has something to do with the extra day off? And we thought the full moon brought out the crazies!!!
True. I stay home all summer. Golf, bike, exercise. Holiday season starts May 15, and up to mid June usually camping, fishing. Then after September long weekend. Visit some sites, plus hunting, fishing.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:47 AM

I take one week off in the MIDDLE of every month from May to Oct. Get the boat and motor home ready and then shut it down for winter. I start my camping usually on a Tuesday till Saturday. Let the weekenders do their crazies. Just hope all the ones I know don't fall victims to those full moon crazies.
Pretty sure the ones here on this site know what to do and not what to do. It's the others that were not well educated. Parents? Or just wrong crowd? Either way, it's up bringing and lack of or no respect of others.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:03 AM

Let the long weekend end! Please let it end!

Old 07-31-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Let the long weekend end! Please let it end!
It will tomorrow. And then the race to get home is another story.
Be the defensive driver not the offensive driver. Make it home safe with all family members.