Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not a fan of drinking the hormone laced milk from another mammal… however I just bought a 4 L jug of milk…. $9.15.

I’m sure they could lower the price. Sell more and bring costs down for consumers.

Monopolies suck.
I hope you get to drink it straight from the breast for that price.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Exactly - it's like he's crying over his own mismanagement and/or trying to guilt his customer (the dairy packager) into buying more than they agreed to buy.

In the meantime, if his customer does take his "excess milk" he drives the prices down and the supply up which hurts the entire industry.

I have ZERO sympathy for his wasteful overproduction. The waste is on HIS hands.
This farmer produces 30000 extra liters of milk per month on his 260 cows so that's only 4 L/day extra/cow which isn't that much. These cows are like machines producing as much as 30-35L per day so he's around 10% extra with production dropping in summer to meet his maximum production. This happens on almost every dairy, that's why they have the little huts with veal calves in them to use up the extra milk. I'm not saying it's right, it's just how the quota system works. You have to deliver all of your quota daily.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass View Post
Price fixing, plain and simple.
This is exactly what it is
Old 02-04-2023, 08:38 PM

I used to work on a dairy farm in BC back in the 80s
Back in them days if you shipped over your MSQ you got docked, but you never had to dump milk
Milk price was something like 60c per litre, overproduction maybe 30 or 35.
If you didn't meet your requirements at the end of the quota year, September 1st, they would take quota away
That's why it's better to overproduce than underproduce
So what's happening now is a sinful waste and should not be happening .
Old 02-05-2023, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
Maybe its time to phase out the quota system....or at least make some drastic changes to it. IMO everyone wins when business is open for everyone.
I realize there is no easy solution but I do believe the supply manage system has run its course and is now costing the consumer much, much more than it should.
Agreed... i do not remember the whole story but NZ did something like that 40 years ago and culled out the bad sheep and beef farmers... before that stoopid farmers made out like bandits at the expense of everyone ... i cannot speak to their dairy industry ...
Old 02-05-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
Maybe its time to phase out the quota system....or at least make some drastic changes to it. IMO everyone wins when business is open for everyone.
I realize there is no easy solution but I do believe the supply manage system has run its course and is now costing the consumer much, much more than it should.
The Quebec dairy farmers seem to have a lot of power, remember Max Bernier was talking about getting rid of the quota system, he didn’t even get elected in his own riding. I’m not saying that’s the only reason but I’m sure it helped prevent him from being elected.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
This farmer produces 30000 extra liters of milk per month on his 260 cows so that's only 4 L/day extra/cow which isn't that much. These cows are like machines producing as much as 30-35L per day so he's around 10% extra with production dropping in summer to meet his maximum production. This happens on almost every dairy, that's why they have the little huts with veal calves in them to use up the extra milk. I'm not saying it's right, it's just how the quota system works. You have to deliver all of your quota daily.
So this farmer who is looking for sympathy in the news actually screwed up??
Old 02-05-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
So this farmer who is looking for sympathy in the news actually screwed up??
It is possible. This reminds me of the news story I watched recently from Saskatchewan with a farmer carrying on and wanting sympathy, compensation and something done about all the deer that moved to his farm yard. Green feed bales left in field and giant piles of uncovered grain will do that actually. Lol

Yet it’s a news story. Hahaha
Old 02-05-2023, 11:36 AM

I wish they could still sell whole milk privately, beyond their quota. Really no reason they couldn't still.
As a young kid we would go buy whole milk from the dairy farm on 97th street by the Garrison to make cheese.
Our stupid Government rules took that family tradition away.

And don't tell me it was 'safety concerns', because we all know that is B.S. There are many ways we could ensure health standards are in place.

I long for a true capitalist country.
This government subsidized one is not working out for anyone but the government and their chosen fat cats.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:03 PM

When we were kids growing up on the farm surplus milk from our milk cow was fed to the pigs. This fellow cannot even do that with there quota shy.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:59 PM

Generally not a fan of price controls, but with quotas costing around $55k, if they were suddenly removed, it could be a really tough go for people who recently entered the market. Just did some work on a new dairy, $5M for the quotas and $6M for the land/barn/equipment. A "free market" would likely financially ruin him.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:40 PM

Get rid of the quota system and have free market.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:44 PM

'Based on rough estimates, it is believed Canadian dairy farmers can dump up to 300 million litres a year in Canada. We asked the Canadian Dairy Commission for exact figures on the amount of milk dumped, and they could not say, which is a problem in and of itself. Since the dairy industry is self-regulated but highly protected by public policy, the Commission, a crown corporation, ought to know. But transparency is hardly the dairy sector’s strong point.'
Old 02-07-2023, 11:05 AM

The dairy quota system is a tax on the poor. Three price increases in the past year have led to a decrease in dairy consumption. It's the poor who can't afford to purchase dairy products. The protected dairy producers dump milk in order to keep prices high.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
The dairy quota system is a tax on the poor. Three price increases in the past year have led to a decrease in dairy consumption. It's the poor who can't afford to purchase dairy products. The protected dairy producers dump milk in order to keep prices high.
This is partially false.
A:farmers don't set the price in store
B:Of course they will get price increases as costs go up, same as most industries costs have gone up.
C:they don't dump milk to keep prices high, they produce the amount of milk that is consumed in Canada, that is how the quota system works. So if ppl consume less dairy the farmers get their amount of quota reduced. So they have every desire to keep ppl consuming dairy.
D: Of course they don't know how much milk is dumped as every fresh cow gets it's milk held back or "dumped" ie fed to calves as well as any time you give a cow antibiotics you cannot ship the milk so it gets dumped as well but none of that is recorded so it would be impossible to know how much is dumped.
E: A tax on the poor? It's inflation. Just like some have reduced beef consumption or eating out etc.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 02-07-2023, 06:13 PM

The dairy cartel sets the price at the farm gate. There is no competition allowed. You want dairy products you pay their price.
Canadians who live close to the US border buy all their dairy there. Basically half the price we pay.
The poor are most impacted by the high cost of dairy in Canada. They have no option but to pay the cartel prices.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:21 PM

I grew up less than a mile from the states. Still have family there. I can guarantee you not everyone near the border buys their milk stateside. In fact we never have.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:48 PM

How much are you going to save buying your milk in the States? A buck a week? Maybe?

I pay $5 for two litres of whole fresh milk from a farm every two weeks.

Is our milk actually clean of hormones and antibiotics and milk from across the border not?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
How much are you going to save buying your milk in the States? A buck a week? Maybe?

Is our milk actually clean of hormones and antibiotics and milk from across the border not?
Yes to the bottom part for sure with growth hormones. Antibiotics both might restric not sure but Canada restricts it for sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...amp/ncna887941

This article outlines the perils of American style dairy system where producers get paid less than it costs to produce. And where they get suicide hotline notes with their checks. In Australia they survive by selling their heifers to china.
Btw I am not a dairy farmer though I do have a fair amount of knowledge in the system.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

$6.19 at our local Coop right now for 4 litres if you buy the Quebec milk and that has not got this last price increase It is less than local milk. A friend wintering in the states paid $2.56 a gallon. At the end of the year pretty big savings. As far as the US milk being laced with drugs and hormones I have no seen any Americans growing horns or suffering side affects.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
Seems logical, as mentioned perhaps this farmer screwed up and he found a social media platform to vent on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-08-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Seems logical, as mentioned perhaps this farmer screwed up and he found a social media platform to vent on.
Based on you logic it would seem more than one screwed up.

Based on rough estimates, it is believed Canadian dairy farmers can dump up to 300 million litres a year in Canada. We asked the Canadian Dairy Commission for exact figures on the amount of milk dumped, and they could not say, which is a problem in and of itself. Since the dairy industry is self-regulated but highly protected by public policy, the Commission, a crown corporation, ought to know. But transparency is hardly the dairy sector’s strong point.'
Old 02-08-2023, 10:15 AM

The Canadian dairy cartel always rolls out the old canard that the American dairy industry is laced with hormones and antibiotics. There isn't a dairy cow in Canada that hasn't received both at some point in her life.

Remember last year when the butter they made wouldn't soften at room temperature? Canadian dairy producers were accused of feeding palmitic oil to get increased yields.

There are fewer than 10k dairy farms in Canada. They are a cash cow and produce tremendous cash flow to their owners. There is no competition and the dairy industry holds every Canadian hostage with their high fixed prices. About half of all dairy farms are in quebek.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:54 AM

I am sure most people ever check to see where their milk comes from. At our local Coop Quebec milk is always 50 cents less for 4 litres than locally produced milk.
In August 2019, Minister Bibeau announced that $1.75 billion would be provided to compensate Canadian dairy farmers over 8 years. Between December 2019 and January 2020, more than 10,000 dairy farmers received a cash payment of $345 million. Today, the Government has set a schedule to deliver the remaining $1.405 billion through direct payments to farmers over a timeline of only three years.

Last edited by dgl1948; 02-08-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
$6.19 at our local Coop right now for 4 litres if you buy the Quebec milk and that has not got this last price increase It is less than local milk. A friend wintering in the states paid $2.56 a gallon. At the end of the year pretty big savings. As far as the US milk being laced with drugs and hormones I have no seen any Americans growing horns or suffering side affects.
Have you seen the Democrats lately?
Old 02-08-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Based on you logic it would seem more than one screwed up.

Based on rough estimates, it is believed Canadian dairy farmers can dump up to 300 million litres a year in Canada. We asked the Canadian Dairy Commission for exact figures on the amount of milk dumped, and they could not say, which is a problem in and of itself. Since the dairy industry is self-regulated but highly protected by public policy, the Commission, a crown corporation, ought to know. But transparency is hardly the dairy sector’s strong point.'

Already debunked and explained how this theory was incorrect.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
The Canadian dairy cartel always rolls out the old canard that the American dairy industry is laced with hormones and antibiotics. There isn't a dairy cow in Canada that hasn't received both at some point in her life.

Remember last year when the butter they made wouldn't soften at room temperature? Canadian dairy producers were accused of feeding palmitic oil to get increased yields.

There are fewer than 10k dairy farms in Canada. They are a cash cow and produce tremendous cash flow to their owners. There is no competition and the dairy industry holds every Canadian hostage with their high fixed prices. About half of all dairy farms are in quebek.

Farmers are allowed to treat with antibiotics, they are Not allowed to ship milk from a treated cow as every tank is tested. And if it does get shipped by accident the farmer must pay for the entire tanker of milk if it was his fault. And all contaminated milk will be dumped. As for growth hormones that is illegal soooo....

I know a few dairy farmers and they aren't what I would call "rolling in cash" however if you are so convinced this is the case feel free to start. There is a new entrants program to help you as well to get started this glamorous high roller lifestyle.
Feel free to milk cows every day 2 or 3 times a day without break, knock your socks off but that aint for me.
However I am also not opposed to farmers getting paid for the sweat that they put into their work.
I would much much rather the farmer ie grain,beef,dairy etc make the profit rather than the walmart.