Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 12:59 PM

Default Military Resources to Ukraine exceeds aid to Canada's own Military

We have a country that has given Ukraine more military resources in a year than it’s given the Canadian forces in the last decade.

https://nationalpost.com/news/analys...arctic-threats
Old 03-12-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Eyed Cowboy View Post
We have a country that has given Ukraine more military resources in a year than it’s given the Canadian forces in the last decade.

https://nationalpost.com/news/analys...arctic-threats
Canada's defense budget is 26.5 Billion (per year).

Are you suggesting that we gave Ukraine 265 billion???? (you said decade right?)

You are incorrect.

Canada has committed roughly 1 billion in aid - not 265 billion as your post implies and ignorantly grossly exaggerates.

As a Canadian, I am happy to pay my share in taxes for this specific aid package and have no issues with it whatsoever. God know we waste taxpayer dollars in so many more ridiculous programs. At least this one makes sense to me.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:41 PM

I shoot with a warrant officer based out of Edmonton, and he was happy to hear that the military budget had been increased, but disappointed, to learn that all of the increase and more went to the Ukraine, and to diversity programs. He tells me that they have less and less equipment available, because of a lack of funds to repair broken down equipment.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Are you suggesting that we gave Ukraine 265 billion???? (you said decade right?)
Actually I'm not suggesting anything...though the author of story may certainly be doing so!!
Old 03-12-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:

You are incorrect.

Canada has committed roughly 1 billion in aid - not 265 billion as your post implies and ignorantly grossly exaggerates.

As a Canadian, I am happy to pay my share in taxes for this specific aid package and have no issues with it whatsoever. God know we waste taxpayer dollars in so many more ridiculous programs. At least this one makes sense to me.

I agree completely. I can get behind helping Ukraine out... a million dollar "study" to see if its feasible to put a bicycle path between jasper and lake louise... or the million dollar "study" to start a caribou breading program in the mountain parks... that really ****es me off.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:

You are incorrect.

Thanks for the sharing of truth as well as good perspective.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:02 PM

I hope we give Ukraine a lot more aid in whatever form they need.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:19 PM

If Canada had to defend its own country on it's own, Pretty sure we would be F'D (you know the rest). Send most all money and equipment elsewhere instead of keeping our own military up to date and with personnel numbers. I agree with the help in the Ukraine but we need our own base. Might be a good thing they didn't send some of our helicopters over there. Especially with main rotor blade failure. Sorry guys. We need to ramp up our military. They create training for jobs and for the most part well disciplined young people. Guberment don't want to spend the money on that frivolous stuff.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I hope we give Ukraine a lot more aid in whatever form they need.
I hope we do not
Old 03-12-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
I hope we do not
I would tend to agree. I think that the best we can hope for is a stalemate between Ukraine and Russia and a treaty negotiation on that basis. A clear winner on either side and we are in for a lot more trouble I suspect.

If the Ukraine annihilates the Russian ground forces with NATOs assistance there is a better than average chance Russia is going to send some Nukes.

Just my take on the situation.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:07 PM

Money to Ukraine is largely for virtue signalling purposes, not out of some sense of duty from our liberal government.
It would be interesting to see how much of that money actually arrives in the hands of ground forces, and how much goes to handshakes.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:13 PM

One Billion $ ? Awesome Sock Boy that's a sheet load of .22 Long rifle
Old 03-12-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
If Canada had to defend its own country on it's own, Pretty sure we would be F'D (you know the rest). Send most all money and equipment elsewhere instead of keeping our own military up to date and with personnel numbers. I agree with the help in the Ukraine but we need our own base. Might be a good thing they didn't send some of our helicopters over there. Especially with main rotor blade failure. Sorry guys. We need to ramp up our military. They create training for jobs and for the most part well disciplined young people. Guberment don't want to spend the money on that frivolous stuff.
According to my friend in the Canadian Armed Forces , they actually came close to cancelling much of their training, because of a shortage of supplies/money, because of so much being diverted to the Ukraine.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:25 PM

I think we should stay out of it as far as giving them anything military wise or money. So should the states.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:

You are incorrect.

Agreed

I saw no where in the article this fictitious number OP stated.

In fact the more money the democratic free world spends to support stopping a dictator bent on building an empire via war… the Better off Canada is.

The more money and resources Russia loses the better.

If Canada was attacked… I would hope Ukraine would come to our aid also.

Standing up to bullies is the right thing to do.

Putin can stop his megalomaniac inspired war any time he wants. Until then the valiant and courageous people of Ukraine will make him pay and they will win.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-12-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I think we should stay out of it as far as giving them anything military wise or money. So should the states.
Then when Russia makes a land grab in the Arctic, Trudeau could head up for a ribbon cutting and apology for our help to the Ukraine. Maybe set up some Russian police stations in Alberta.

It’s a slippery slope to give into evil out of fear or indifference.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-12-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I would tend to agree. I think that the best we can hope for is a stalemate between Ukraine and Russia and a treaty negotiation on that basis. A clear winner on either side and we are in for a lot more trouble I suspect.

If the Ukraine annihilates the Russian ground forces with NATOs assistance there is a better than average chance Russia is going to send some Nukes.

Just my take on the situation.
It would be foolhardy to nuke land beside your own country. Nuclear fallout is horrible after all.

Only way Russia’s elite would consider an escalation would be if NATO troops entered Russia. Clandestine Ukraine squads or targeted attacks on Russian infrastructure will be fair game. It’s the rules Russia make all by themselves.

Putin either needs to save face somehow or get removed from office by a smarter and more civil factions within Russia or die of natural causes.

As a true and super tightly controlled dictatorship… nothing will change without him.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:49 PM

Most of the money is not money. It’s equipment. Some of it is older and should have been replaced years ago. Carl Gustav launchers, leopard tanks.

Send them where they will do some good.

Buy our soldiers what they need and deserve in 2023.

And some of this money is coming back. That company that sent armoured trucks. How many countries will buy their trucks now? How many permanent good paying jobs will come from that?

It’s likely the USA will earn back every dime they send to Ukraine in orders for their stuff.

The only reason to complain about sending stuff to Ukraine once you know facts and not spin, is if you sympathize with Putin.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Most of the money is not money. It’s equipment. Some of it is older and should have been replaced years ago. Carl Gustav launchers, leopard tanks.

And some of this money is coming back. That company that sent armoured trucks. How many countries will buy their trucks now? How many permanent good paying jobs will come from that?

It’s likely the USA will earn back every dime they send to Ukraine in orders for their stuff.

The only reason to complain about sending stuff to Ukraine once you know facts and not spin, is if you sympathize with Putin.
X2

Well said
Old 03-12-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Agreed

I saw no where in the article this fictitious number OP stated.
Look again...
“You heard what General Eyre (Chief of Defence Staff) said,” Harries responds. “When asked … are the Canadian forces ready for what’s happening, he said ‘No, I lose sleep at night about them not being ready.’” We have a country that has given Ukraine more military resources in a year than it’s given the Canadian forces in the last decade.
I guess it depends on what you call "military resources".

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Enlighten us please. Lot's of opinions, very few facts.
A link would be helpful
Old 03-12-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Agree completely.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Enlighten us please. Lot's of opinions, very few facts.
A link would be helpful
I’ll work on some links but in the mean time. Canada finally agreed to buy F-35’s. Coincidence? How many billions to the USA? What are Estonia Latvia and Lithuania buying as fast as the USA can produce it?

A German company is talking about expanding into Ukraine to make more of its new version tanks. If they sell them to Poland, Estonia , Ukraine, Czechia… how many hundreds of millions?

Should Canada hang onto its Carl Gustav’s or get javelins, himars, atacms?
Old 03-12-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Then when Russia makes a land grab in the Arctic, Trudeau could head up for a ribbon cutting and apology for our help to the Ukraine. Maybe set up some Russian police stations in Alberta.

It’s a slippery slope to give into evil out of fear or indifference.
X2, the Russians have a serious interest in our Arctic, we could be the next Ukraine.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-12-2023, 04:39 PM

Soon, once the CF has completed its target of Kool-Aid colored hair diversity hires, we can cease purchases of armaments entirely. The new CF will parachute these crack troops into enemy territory to constantly pester & annoy them until they surrender.

Kidding aside, I’m definitely down with helping Ukraine.

When I was young, the USSR was the bad guy & then the Berlin wall came down & people fell into thinking that the Russians weren’t ‘like that’ anymore. Here we are seeing 1st hand that indeed they are, because their leader was career KGB & he wants to see glory for the motherland again before he dies. There’s really not much more to it than that. He must not have realized how impotent his army is, the embezzlement within the Russian military supply chain went much deeper than he realized.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-12-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I’ll work on some links but in the mean time. Canada finally agreed to buy F-35’s. Coincidence? How many billions to the USA? What are Estonia Latvia and Lithuania buying as fast as the USA can produce it?

A German company is talking about expanding into Ukraine to make more of its new version tanks. If they sell them to Poland, Estonia , Ukraine, Czechia… how many hundreds of millions?

Should Canada hang onto its Carl Gustav’s or get javelins, himars, atacms?
Right up that alley
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/revolution...121305829.html
Old 03-12-2023, 05:32 PM

Canada and the US will do whatever it takes to help Ukraine even nuclear apocalypse
Old 03-12-2023, 05:46 PM

Russia is sitting back and waiting for us all to de-ammunize ourselves then we are ****ed.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Canada and the US will do whatever it takes to help Ukraine even nuclear apocalypse
Putin has a 30 year old mistress and a few kids. He’s built mansions all over Russia to gaze at his reflection in his gilded mirrors.

He ain’t starting a nuclear war.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Russia is sitting back and waiting for us all to de-ammunize ourselves then we are ****ed.
I doubt that. Their (Russia’s) military is crap. I support a Kill ‘em all approach. Give the Ukrainians what they require.