Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 06:41 PM

Default Getting into the Oil Field/Pipeline

Hey all,

Any advice on how to get into the oil field? I am a 3rd year HD mechanic apprentice, and jman automotive tech. I currently work at a job that I think pays pretty good but I am seeing what my buddies who don't have the certificates that I do (Essentially labourers and part time operators, I mean one guy I know who has been to prison twice makes way more then I do lmao) and they blow my pay cheques out of the water and are buying houses, new trucks, toys etc. I've been poking around at jobs in Fort Mac, GP, Fox Creek basically all the typical spots and have been applying for a month plus and haven't heard a thing. A bunch of my friends have said it would be easy as everyone is looking right now. Anyone have any advice or leads? I don't have the typical assets such as H2S, dealer training, or Class 1 or air brake endorsement as my current employer never asked even though I deal with driving semi trucks and mining/oil field equipment everyday. I realize there are sacrifice's that my friends are making that I am currently not, such as I'm less then 15mins from home and am here every night and get 3 out of 4 weekends off, however my wife and I have discussed and decided that it's now or never to try and make some oil field money since we don't yet have a kid. I am willing to stay in camp and commute to Fort Mac or elsewhere for days on. I am more then willing to do rotations as much as 21/6 in order to get my boots on the ground. I have no doubts that I am qualified as far as making repairs and the extreme work environments go. A little frustrated as I haven't heard a thing just yet so like I said, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-13-2023, 07:07 PM

I’d start with getting all your safety tickets before even applying.

Are you wanting to do shop or field work?
Old 03-13-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
I’d start with getting all your safety tickets before even applying.

Are you wanting to do shop or field work?
Online courses the way to go to get them? And I mean I'd prefer shop if given the choice but field work isn't out of the question for a situation that works.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2023, 07:19 PM

Yes, oilfield pays more compared to conventional industry, but half the guys that sat they make "X" dollars per year are full of it. Not saying your buddies are, but just get some data points on wages, typical hours you will be working year long (including shut downs and break up) etc...

The other thing is, I love when oil/gas guys buy new trucks, sleds and cool toys. When the oilfield goes south, and the payments they need to make can't be made, I get toys for cheap. Most of the guys that worked for me, made less than half of what I made, had way more cool toys. The banked had them leveraged to the point they were crying for overtime when hours got thin.

Ultimately, do your research and get the info from the companies, not word of mouth. There is better money there, but there's no point in working away from home, having all sorts of cool toys that depend on you making big payments and you can't enjoy your life.

If you can live within your means, save some money and not leverage yourself with the bank, the oilfield can be a great path to early retirement and a comfortable income in your golden years with your investments and equity.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:23 PM

Someone has to say it: This is a good way to get divorced.

She might even believe you made the decision together, and that she cares about the money and will stick with you, but time alone is a totally different thing for a woman. As a guy, you can compartmentalize and get through the sacrifice. She can’t. Learn from those of us who been there. It doesn’t work. If a guy is single and wants to put his nose to grindstone, giver. But once you have family you have to be there for each other.

The reason you aren’t getting called is because you have a good non-patch job. Same reason oil patch byes don’t get job offers in town. They will always go back to the patch, and you will most likely go back to town.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input thus far. I don't necessarily want to get into the patch to drown myself in debt, Im just hoping it's a good way to fast track us for our future. C*vid really put us behind and dried up the savings when I lost my job of 4 years as a VW tech, we were able to taste home ownership and then the rug got pulled out from under us. We are getting by comfortably right now but as far as being a home owner and looking forward to retirement, I feel as if we are very stagnant. Not being able to put enough away to make it feel like we are making meaningful progress towards getting back to where we were, add in inflation and the fact that we are seriously discussing starting a family before we feel it's too late, it feels like those things would become unachievable. Where as the oil field seems to be doing pretty darn good at the moment, and this could be one of the last times to get in and "make it" sure I would want to go out and buy the new Cummins and a sled to match but I more then anything want to set us up for future success with my tickets to fall back on for a more normal Monday to Friday job when we feel it's the time. I think it will be hard and I did work in McMurray on rail cars to pay the bills back in 2020 when SHTF, I was on a 21/3 rotation and I missed her to the tune of having to wipe tears from my eyes before walking into the shop in the morning. Not ashamed to admit that.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:13 PM

I teach in a trades program in a college, all I ever hear about is the demand and crazy high wages that heavy duty guys are getting these days. Signing bonuses, bonuses if they poach someone from another shop and bring them back from school, etc. etc.

Have you tried to get on in your current trade up North?

If it were me I'd finish out the second ticket before going to be a laborer on the pipeline. In fact, I think you'd be crazy not to finish getting that ticket.

I know several guys who got to third year in in various trades then quit to go do something else, sooner or later they all regret not finishing it first.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:17 PM

I think the grass is greener right where you are
Old 03-13-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I teach in a trades program in a college, all I ever hear about is the demand and crazy high wages that heavy duty guys are getting these days. Signing bonuses, bonuses if they poach someone from another shop and bring them back from school, etc. etc.

Have you tried to get on in your current trade up North?

If it were me I'd finish out the second ticket before going to be a laborer on the pipeline. In fact, I think you'd be crazy not to finish getting that ticket.

I know several guys who got to third year in in various trades then quit to go do something else, sooner or later they all regret not finishing it first.
Sorry to clarify, I am applying for HD jobs.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:34 PM

As soon as I was ticketed, I’d rig up a truck and work the Feild. Follow big pipelines. If money was your greatest objective.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:34 PM

Go for it. Not like years ago when you were away from home for 3 months. 21 and 5 or whatever is a cake walk. Make the money you deserve, it's not all doom and gloom and a family destroyer.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:37 PM

I’m in kitimat right now working on CGL. We got mechanics and their trucks from every province here.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:11 PM

Finish getting your journeyman ticket where you are. Then once you get your wage bump, reassess.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yessir, the road to an empty bank account is littered with ROE's

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-13-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Someone has to say it: This is a good way to get divorced.

She might even believe you made the decision together, and that she cares about the money and will stick with you, but time alone is a totally different thing for a woman. As a guy, you can compartmentalize and get through the sacrifice. She can’t. Learn from those of us who been there. It doesn’t work. If a guy is single and wants to put his nose to grindstone, giver. But once you have family you have to be there for each other.

The reason you aren’t getting called is because you have a good non-patch job. Same reason oil patch byes don’t get job offers in town. They will always go back to the patch, and you will most likely go back to town.
^^^ THIS^^^^^

To be honest a good 9-5 job out pays the patch in the long run.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Sorry to clarify, I am applying for HD jobs.

Atta boy! Get that ticket. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Best of luck, big decisions.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:07 PM

Been in her my whole life, served me quite well, however, as stated it was hard on the family life and it isn't what it used to be. Aside from a few big jobs that should be nearing completion in the next couple years, it's a bit hit and miss compared to the good ol days. I managed to work myself into the inspection field so the money is good but breakup is longer and longer every year in the farmland due to environmental commitments and nesting birds etc. Alot of the work around g.p isn't paying living allowance due to an abundance of local talent. However if you are looking at mechanics or service work it's out there and more steady than a pipe crew and even operating. Good luck either way. Change always carries some risk but it's ultimately up to you and your family as finances sometimes need to override the perfect family life especially if behind in payments etc.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:17 PM

Another issue I've really been struggling with is getting up and being motivated to go to work. Obviously I go because I have bills and people who rely on me, but the days of being passionate about what I do are getting to be fewer and fewer as time goes on. In all reality I haven't felt 100% comfortable in my life/job setting since 2020 happened. I guess part of it is I feel like I need to look for the right "fit" so to speak. I think that's why I would be more eager to give it a go, because I'm not satisfied with where I am at now. That sounds awful as I'm paid pretty fair for being as close to home as I am in a small town shop, with great benefits and hours. But I also want to be excited to go to work everyday.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 PM

If you want to get into the industry as a mechanic, start applying at the contract companies, Enerflex, Pro-Pak, Bidel, etc. These guys do natural gas compression, repairs and startups. Their usually pretty busy and hire regularly. Your J-man automotive ticket will get you in the door and your apprentice HD is a little extra padding on the resume.
I wouldn't worry about getting your tickets, most company's will pay for training if you get hired.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:28 AM

Where do you currently reside?

Compressor mechanics seem to be in short supply and can be a good career with some options for specialization you're not in the mud or -40 too often.
I'd be careful what you wish for though. I hated living in camp but some guys love it.

An old guy once told me that if you're working for someone else, you don't have time to make any money. If you're serious about making some real money, get your HD ticket and rig up a truck so you can go out on your own. You'll be married to your job but the financial rewards should be there at the end.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-14-2023, 10:22 AM

I work for a company called inner city diesel. They are looking for automotive and heavy duty mechanics. 14 days on 14 off. Flights payed. Accommodations payed and I believe $53.00 to start. Good job been with them 5 years. Give them a shout
Old 03-14-2023, 12:24 PM

You mention your buddy who has been to prison twice...
As a rule, I would do the opposite of whatever he's doing.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Have to agree with these gents.

I have an uncle that does x-ray inspections on pipelines. He's been all over the planet for extended periods and the work/life balance isn't what I could handle personally.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
^^^ THIS^^^^^

To be honest a good 9-5 job out pays the patch in the long run.
Gotta disagree hard on this one. If you have a strong relationship with your wife it is totally doable. I work with hundreds of family men and the majority make it work just fine. For me, I moved my family with me to Fort mcmurray and wouldn’t have it any other way. I get the best of both, the money, the shift work/equal time off, and home each night with my wife and kids. There is not another 9-5 job in this world where a tradesperson can be bringing home $9-10k per month for 170 hours on the clock WITH those benefits. If there is, show me and I will eat crow.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
I work for a company called inner city diesel. They are looking for automotive and heavy duty mechanics. 14 days on 14 off. Flights payed. Accommodations payed and I believe $53.00 to start. Good job been with them 5 years. Give them a shout
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
A guy I know haha, not a friend. You have good advice on that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeFan007 View Post
If you want to get into the industry as a mechanic, start applying at the contract companies, Enerflex, Pro-Pak, Bidel, etc. These guys do natural gas compression, repairs and startups. Their usually pretty busy and hire regularly. Your J-man automotive ticket will get you in the door and your apprentice HD is a little extra padding on the resume.
I wouldn't worry about getting your tickets, most company's will pay for training if you get hired.
Again, thanks for the advice.

I talked to some guys at work today who are doing a contract job for us out of McMurray, they both told me that moving my family with me is the way to go. Not sure I could stomach full time living up there though.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:23 PM

Honest question, what part of living up here turns you off?
Old 03-14-2023, 08:37 PM

Not gunna make too many Ft Mac friends saying that.

But good luck to ya.

TBark
Old 03-14-2023, 08:57 PM

Personally I think I'd look into Agriculture Mechanics, big demand and big money involved with the newer equipment and live right in the heart of Alberta.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Thanks for the input thus far. I don't necessarily want to get into the patch to drown myself in debt, Im just hoping it's a good way to fast track us for our future. C*vid really put us behind and dried up the savings when I lost my job of 4 years as a VW tech, we were able to taste home ownership and then the rug got pulled out from under us. We are getting by comfortably right now but as far as being a home owner and looking forward to retirement, I feel as if we are very stagnant. Not being able to put enough away to make it feel like we are making meaningful progress towards getting back to where we were, add in inflation and the fact that we are seriously discussing starting a family before we feel it's too late, it feels like those things would become unachievable. Where as the oil field seems to be doing pretty darn good at the moment, and this could be one of the last times to get in and "make it" sure I would want to go out and buy the new Cummins and a sled to match but I more then anything want to set us up for future success with my tickets to fall back on for a more normal Monday to Friday job when we feel it's the time. I think it will be hard and I did work in McMurray on rail cars to pay the bills back in 2020 when SHTF, I was on a 21/3 rotation and I missed her to the tune of having to wipe tears from my eyes before walking into the shop in the morning. Not ashamed to admit that.

I worked for Trican for awhile and they treated me well. Don’t expect short shifts when you go to work for the day. My rotation was 2 weeks on and 1 off. And I went home when I was on call over those 2 weeks.

Looks like they’re hiring a bunch of heavy duty guys across the province. Worth applying IMO.

https://tricanwellservice.startdate.ca/#/
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 03-14-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
Personally I think I'd look into Agriculture Mechanics, big demand and big money involved with the newer equipment and live right in the heart of Alberta.
Agtechs don’t make as much as heavy duty guys in the oilfield/mining sectors. They get a pretty damn nice work life balance most of the year though.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill