Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question Cargo Trailers

Ok the toys are piling up and I need/want a cargo trailer to haul them.
Needs to take either two quads(Honda fourtrax), two motorcycles, skidoo and sled plus accessories.
Of course not all together but for separate outings. Just want something to protect them from the elements and thieves too when out on an adventure.
Was looking at 7X14 ramp door at the back and man door at the side, V nose but now looking at all the trailers this is where it gets wonky with all the options.
I want good quality, was looking at aluminum, single axle ?, need good brand names to research here in Alberta.
Also once the toys are out going to convert it into a camper/overnighter for hunting/fishing excursions.
Anyone go down this road before really interested to hear your replies.
Thx.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2023, 09:36 AM

I got a 16' enclosed V nose (double axle) and will park 2 quads in it if I want. Not much room left between the two though. Not sure the 14' would satisfy your needs.

I would consider at least a 7X16 V nose, double axle (pulls nicer), with a ramp door...
Old 03-16-2023, 10:31 AM

I custom ordered a Stealth Cobra from chuchwagon trailers a few years ago. It was a 8.5x22 with 6” extra height. I was treated pretty good by them. Haven’t had any bad experiences with that trailer.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:54 AM

Default Trailer

I'll give my 2 cents... having 2 quads, 2 sleds, 2 dirtbikes.... ramp door is handy, go with 20FT minimum.... 16ft deck and 4 ft V.... it becomes small in a hurry... tandem axle for sure... deck over is nice... no wheel wells inside, aluminum is more expensive but stands up to our weather better, thnx
Old 03-16-2023, 05:09 PM

To be comfortable if doing some over nighters I would stick to at least a deck over trailer, I have had a few deck overs, 100% would not go to a 7 foot wide trailer.
I got an all aluminum 8.5 X 16 foot w/heat, which has a v nose of 4.5 feet, google MES101X16 Mission. I wish it could be two feet bigger on the inside but very comfy as is for two people sleeping, it’s 19 feet on the inside measurement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BE5556E3-45B6-492A-8D76-5570AC044A3D.jpeg (46.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-16-2023, 05:28 PM

The nicest pulling little trailer I’ve ever owned was a 7 x18’ straight wall v nose triton. Hardly new it was behind.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:58 PM

I had a 7 x 16 and it was OK, 2 guys in hunting camp comfortable with a couple cots set up. When I bought a S x S I had to take the roof off it every time I hauled it because it was to high to clear the ramp door at the back, I sold it and bought a cargo mate 8.5 x 20 extra height 2' V nose so I can now drive right in, the extra width and length inside id great and makes it really comfy in hunting camp, in the off season I store everything inside it and never worry, the difference in cost was bugger all really, and it pulls like a dream.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:59 PM

I vote for a tandem axle in whatever you buy. They just pull nicer and don't bounce as much. My experience comes from camping trailers. My 19ft single bounced over whoops etc, my dads 19ft tandem rode so nice over them. Buy bigger than what you think you need. Always nice to have room for some gear or dress up in bad weather etc.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:12 PM

Buy aluminum. Ensure you get a good brand. You won’t regret it and if you keep it for 5+ years you’ll never lose money because it’ll still look near new while the steel unit will look like rusty garbage.

I have a 2009 Featherlite 8.5’x20’ enclosed tandem axle. Tandem 5200 ln torsion axles. Best pulling trailer I’ve owned and it still looks mint.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:58 PM

Agree with the strong consensus here to ALWAYS get a tandem on anything you can. Easier to tow, less bounce, less swaying, and the safety of the extra axle if/when you loose a tire, burn a hub or need to swap a tire (no jack needed if you have a 2ft piece of a 2x8).

I even put my 18' foot tinner boat on a tandem. Price was only 500 bucks more compared to a single and one of those tandem axles can carry the entire weight of my boat. So If I get a flat, just pull her off, drive to a safe place to change her out without worry. So much safer, more piece of mind.

I will never run a single axle again - unless it's a really really small trailer.

Last edited by EZM; 03-16-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Great info folks, thx....once I get one I will post up the interior build etc.
Basically the v nose area will have shelves for storage, drop counters and on the sides drop down beds/counter all which lift up to the wall, secured and ready for next use not taking away floor space.
Load up the toys for whatever adventure awaits, unload park outside, use trailer as home base type thing.
I guess once you got the trailer the imagination will take over.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-17-2023, 07:57 AM

Fot.ca has some pretty decent pricing on trailers. 7x16 tandem for about $11500. Not sure how the quality would compare to the more expensive ones though. I had a haulmark years ago as a tool trailer and it was pretty low quality.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Great info folks, thx....once I get one I will post up the interior build etc.
Basically the v nose area will have shelves for storage, drop counters and on the sides drop down beds/counter all which lift up to the wall, secured and ready for next use not taking away floor space.
Load up the toys for whatever adventure awaits, unload park outside, use trailer as home base type thing.
I guess once you got the trailer the imagination will take over.
Having owned these before. I'd get one with torsion axles in a tandem set up. Also get one bigger than you think you need, you'd be surprised how they fill up.

Get good tie down supports a side door, and led lighting. I had added spot light out the back to light it up while loading. There is also a tracking system for your snowmachine skis. The skages sit inside the tracking, so they don't tear up your floor and also assist in keep the sled in place while transporting.

I also saw somewhere, where I guy used an airtight heater inside while
camping. I think he ran the stove pipe out through the fuel doors.

Looking forward to see what you end up with.

BW