Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Newbie Question: What is your daily hunting plan

As someone who has begun taking great interest in hunting, I have a question for the members. What does your hunting day look like? I have heard all about getting all the gear ready to go hunting and I have seen pictures of the game that has been killed but I have never gotten very much information from people on what they do once they leave their vehicle in the morning and start their day. I am not looking for secrets nor do I expect a deer to appear right in front of me on my first day but I am curious as to whether you have routines, or preferences as to how you approach your hunting day.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Default My day

If I'm hunting the morning then it's wilderness, I hunt farmland in the evenings. If I hunt early I want to be where the game is likely to be going to and be there first or at least in between where they are and where they want to go to.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If I'm hunting the morning then it's wilderness, I hunt farmland in the evenings. If I hunt early I want to be where the game is likely to be going to and be there first or at least in between where they are and where they want to go to.
Go early stay late.Sit more than you walk
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Each day is different depending on a variety of factors, such as time of year, species being hunted, terrain being hunted, competition from other hunters, weather, wind direction, weapon being used, etc. etc.

In the foothills or mountains I like to be a) well off the road and close to where my quarry is before first light, or b) set up on a good vantage point where I can glass for animals - doesn't necessarily have to be off the road - and can plan a spot and stalk.

In farmland areas and/ or when hunting whitetails, I will always be in my hunting spot well before light, waiting for animals to come to me. The older (and wiser.....) I get the more I let whitetails do the walking.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Usually I've done lots of scouting before the season starts so I have a some sort of plan. I like to be in place before first light to limit movement in the daylight usually next to a well used game trail or clearing. Different times of the season need different stategies, regardless of the species (calling during rut, spot and stalk, etc.) If it's not the rut I usually come in for lunch and hunt the evening. If the ruts on then I'm out all day. Are you using a bow, crossbow, rifle? These require different approaches to your hunt as well.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

When you are waiting for hours on end, is there something that you do to keep your mind from wandering or are you focused on the sounds/sights?

I am looking at hunting with a rifle this year but other than proximity to the animal are there other strategies you need to consider when using rifle vs bow vs crossbow?

Is there a reason why farmland is primarily hunted in the evenings? Do the animals tend to move from bush to open areas during the day?

Thank you and Happy Family Day
Old 02-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Go early stay late.Sit more than you walk
That is great advice. I've jumped or spooked more game (elk), not waiting long enough, getting impatient.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 PM

The Wind direction is paramount on where I hunt for the day.
If it is wrong where I plan yo hunt I either approach from a different route or pick another spot .
I'm a still hunter and stalker so will either get on a hot track or hunt a well used trail .
I normally don't take more than a few steps before stopping and looking , then another few .
Depending on the bush where I am hunting it may take me three hours to make a few hundred yards .
Cat
Old 02-15-2016, 06:01 PM

The only thing I think about is layers. It's always cold when u leave camp and hot when u finish. Have the right layers in the right camo. Same goes in the evening but reverse. Ie. Dress light with gear to dress warm as it gets dusk
Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 PM

Everyday I hunt, my plan is as follows:

- get up
-brew coffee
-travel to spot
-get into stand
-encounter next world record at first light inside 50yds
-cleanly kill next world record
-take pictures and send to a multitude of very high revenue outdoor/firearm companies
-come home to line of sponsers at my door, as well as kelsey, tiffany and eva waiting to properly greet the hero
-sign several major, long term, high value sponsorship deals
-quit job and spend rest of life hunting

However, my plan has yet to happen, but I hold out hope each and every morning from Sept to Dec.

My routine varies day by day, depending on weather, species, how I feel, etc. Some very good advice has already been posted above, so I had nothing to add....just bored and sitting in an airport, lol.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM

Drive all day, 5km an hour. Wind direction not much of an issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 PM

I agree with Buckman. Sit more than you walk. Do your scouting before the season starts, then be patient and trust your gut. Last season I sat in my stand for hours. A few times I thought about getting out and scouting, but I told myself I was going to let the deer come to me. Next thing I knew a nice 5x5 came walking around the bush in front of me. Had I gotten out of the stand I most likely would have come up empty handed.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:41 PM

hmmm.... a ton of great tips and a lot of wisdom in these posts.
Thanks for the input... looking forward to reading a lot more and contributing to the forum
Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferac View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

When you are waiting for hours on end, is there something that you do to keep your mind from wandering or are you focused on the sounds/sights?

I am looking at hunting with a rifle this year but other than proximity to the animal are there other strategies you need to consider when using rifle vs bow vs crossbow?

Is there a reason why farmland is primarily hunted in the evenings? Do the animals tend to move from bush to open areas during the day?

Thank you and Happy Family Day
When I'm bored and waiting for animals to come in I used too play on my phone. I learned the hard way not to do that after a whitetail buck bigger than any I've harvested trotted past when I wasn't ready for him. I only check the time now.

If using a rifle I make sure I have a good vantage point and can see a long way. Being fairly new to bow hunting I've learned the biggest difference is, patience. you must get way closer, which you know, so knowing when to draw is important. Especially if your on the ground and not in a stand
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 AM

A hungry hunter shoots straighter and focuses better.

If you notice... the hunting predators will just lay around when they have a full belly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 AM

Here is my deer hunting routine from last season...
Also, my 2nd year having a dog. (choc lab)

Late afternoon day before...decide to go bow hunting next morning.

830 pm...put kids to bed, start bringing bow gear up by kitchen door, prepare day pack, make lunch.

840 pm...ignore sad eyes from dog as he realizes your packing bow gear, not shotgun gear...continue packing daypack and getting deer hunting clothes ready.

9pm...continue to ignore dog, look at forum pics of deer that other guys on AO got today...try to go to sleep.

4 AM...wake up...greeted by excited dog...make coffee...try to ignore dog as you load archery gear into truck.

410 am...due to lack of sleep, begin to get worn down by dog's whimpering and sad eyes...consider going duck hunting instead...try and convince yourself to just get in truck and stick with plan to go deer hunting.

415 am...finish pouring coffee into thermos...now completely overwhelmed by dogs sad eyes and whimpering....go out to truck...take archery gear back into house, bring shotgun and decoys out to truck.

420 am...dump deer hunting stuff out of daypack onto basement floor, stuff shotgun shells and calls into pack....beg dog to stop jumping around excitedly, cause he's going to wake everyone up. Load dog food and water dish into truck.

430 am...leave home for favourite duck hunting spot...stop at Tim Hortons because you realize you left lunch at home in fridge.

445 am...leave city limits...pet happy dog sleeping beside you in passenger seat.

7:10 am...sit in duck blind with dog, observe 2 130-140" whitetails eating alphalpha in field 15 yds from where you were going to hang your stand at the field across from water you are set up on.

1130 am....head home with 2 teals, 1 mallard, 2 Canada geese....pet wet, smelly, happy dog, sleeping beside you in passenger seat.

2 pm, finish cleaning birds...put shotgun away...start to get archery gear together for next morning...notice dog coming downstairs to see what you're doing......repeat process 6-8 more times this month.