Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 12:00 PM

^ To be fair, every party's campaign stops are very sanitized. That's kinda different than if they'd kicked VICE out of Parliament.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM

There are two theme's running in this thread. the first being is Ezra Levant a journalist or what constitutes a journalist? the second theme is muzzling of media.

On the first theme and using a different form of media "Documentaries", there are two schools of what constitutes a documentary. One is a neutral document the other takes a specific view point. Donald Britten was a Canadian documentarian who chose to film without an agenda, while Michael Moore chose - and sometimes more than often - manipulated the viewpoint, coerced a reaction from his audience. Are they both documentarians?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:02 PM

funny article;

http://canadalandshow.com/article/ez...public-meeting

Ezra Levant's Goons Threw Me Out of His "Open, Non-Partisan, Public" Meeting

I've been a thorn in Ezra's side for years. He's terrified of me.

Alheli Picazo • June 16, 2015

Facts often prove a nuisance to those with an agenda to push or a narrative to sell. Just as those who peddle snake-oil rely on manufactured illness to hawk miracle cures, those who ply their trade in fear rely on ignorance to further an ideology.

I’ve long used social media as a means to combat misinformation, and it just so happens that one of my earliest fact-checks involved a media personality who wears his well-established history of “reckless disregard for the truth” as a point of pride.

In September 2010, ahead of the Sun News Network’s launch, future-host Ezra Levant penned an astonishingly libelous column for the Sun chain of papers accusing billionaire philanthropist George Soros of, among other things, having been a Nazi collaborator.

I combed through Levant’s column, countering each false assertion with documented facts, and soon learned my effort had made its way to Soros himself, who then notified Sun Media of his intent to sue for defamation.

A full retraction and apology was issued, noting there was “no basis for the statements in the column … Sun Media and Ezra Levant retract the statements made in the column and unreservedly apologize to Mr. Soros for the distress and harm this column may have caused him.”

I continued to follow Levant’s work - and that of his colleagues - after Sun News went to air, documenting mistruths, mocking hyperbolic absurdities, and when possible, pairing false reports with links to the facts.

Though I’d become somewhat of a thorn in Levant’s side, it was my possession of the only recording of his racist anti-Roma tirade after Sun News thought they’d effectively purged it from existence - a recording which aided in forcing him to, again, issue a groveling apology - which cemented his disdain for me.

And perhaps explains why the self-described “fearless Rebel Commander” is so, utterly terrified of me.

When The Rebel, Levant’s online vanity project launched after Sun News’ demise, promoted an “EMERGENCY PUBLIC MEETING” regarding Alberta’s future under the “extremist” Notley regime - an event billed as “an independent, non-partisan meeting, open to the public for free” - I reserved a pair of seats.

After receiving a confirmation email from Amanda Achtman, Levant’s loyal apprentice who first served him at Ethical Oil before joining him at Sun News and now The Rebel, I was surprised to find another email, this one directly from Levant, notifying me of his personal intervention to cancel my reservation, claiming to be “concerned from your past conduct that you will be disruptive and profane.”

Knowing Levant’s assertions were fabricated, I requested evidence to support his allegations of my “past conduct” or “track-record” of being “disruptive and profane.”

I posted a screenshot of the exchange to twitter, and quickly received numerous invites to be another’s +1 for the Calgary event.

I sent a number of follow-up emails to both Levant and Achtman, requesting proof of the various allegations cited to justify cancelling my reservation, and specifically asked whether I’d be barred from entering if I attended as someone’s guest.

Despite repeated requests, neither opted to respond.

After being asked to write about the presentation, I took a right-leaning friend - a Levant fan - up on the ‘+1’ offer and agreed to meet at the Carriage House Inn, the town hall’s location, a half-hour before its scheduled start.

I arrived in good time, maneuvered my way through the steady-stream of attendees and proceeded to the check-in tables. Before I had a chance to confirm my attendance, however, I was whisked away by a pair men whom Levant hired, it seemed, to specifically watch for me and prevent my participation. When I asked for an explanation as to why I was disallowed from this “open to the public” forum, I was told it was open to everyone — except me.

Neither man could explain why, only that they were under strict orders to ensure I didn’t get in.

When Levant ventured out to greet people, he accidentally offered me a hearty “Hello, and welcome!” before recognition set in, after which he frantically turned-tail and rushed away, shouting that I was “not welcome here,” refusing to answer when I asked him to come back, face me, and explain why.

As I stood in the lobby he passed by twice more, perhaps hoping I’d pull a Levant and cause a scene, but I simply continued to request explanation, and he continued to remain silent as he hurried by.

It was the same with Achtman who bolted when she first saw me, later making a few extra passes, each time refusing to stop and answer my queries. I offered to leave once I received an explanation as to why I was barred, but was told by one of Levant’s hired henchmen that I’d get no explanation, and if I did not leave I’d be arrested.

Knowing I’d done nothing wrong, I offered to face arrest, to stay and wait for the police to sort things out. When the police arrived, they seemed completely baffled by the farce. According to his gatekeepers, Levant claimed I’d “long been banned” from the Carriage House Inn, though I’d never once before set foot there. He also alleged I had a “track-record” of disrupting his events - his guards even claimed there were pictures, though neither I nor the police were allowed to see them - and he had a documented history of my ejections — again, flat-out lies.

Once the police determined all the allegations Levant provided were false, they simply shrugged and said there were no grounds on which to arrest me, nor could they force me to leave. One officer suggested I could “make better use of the night in this beautiful weather” than wait on an explanation which likely wouldn’t come, and I agreed.

I thanked them for their time and went on my way.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Banned

It is known that Harper did not have a great relationship with the media, but I don't recall him banning the CBC and Toronto Star (very anti Harper) folk only, and letting the others in. His relationship with the media didn't seem to pick favorites and he at least was willing to give interviews with news outlets that didn't support his views (again, CBC comes to mind).

Interesting article about Ezra and this other guy. I wonder if it actually went down as this guy is saying it did? Wonder why this is not being brought up now or was not brought up by any of the other news outlets. I remember Ezra actually being supported by the other news outlets or commentators. Why have none of them brought up this guys assertions? I find that a bit strange, if it is true. One thing to remember, Ezra is not the government, so what is the need for this guy to be there anyway, its not the same as covering the governing party, as Ezra is not making decisions that affect millions of Albertans.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
It is known that Harper did not have a great relationship with the media, but I don't recall him banning the CBC and Toronto Star (very anti Harper) folk only, and letting the others in. His relationship with the media didn't seem to pick favorites and he at least was willing to give interviews with news outlets that didn't support his views (again, CBC comes to mind).

Interesting article about Ezra and this other guy. I wonder if it actually went down as this guy is saying it did? Wonder why this is not being brought up now or was not brought up by any of the other news outlets. I remember Ezra actually being supported by the other news outlets or commentators. Why have none of them brought up this guys assertions? I find that a bit strange, if it is true. One thing to remember, Ezra is not the government, so what is the need for this guy to be there anyway, its not the same as covering the governing party, as Ezra is not making decisions that affect millions of Albertans.
I think it's more about walking the talk.

as for harper notley or anyone muzzling media of any form is dangerous.

I forgot about canadaland but I think it's ran by the fellow who is slowly unmasking the uppers at the cbc and other msm outlets for political leaning. he is the fellow that brought the jian ghomeshi incident to the public, enough so that it made the cbc address the issues at radio Canada.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned

I'm all for any news outlet, blogger, etc. that is putting for info as fact being outed if the info is not fact, regardless of what their political bent is.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Default Google the esteemed Alheli Picazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
funny article;

http://canadalandshow.com/article/ez...public-meeting

Ezra Levant's Goons Threw Me Out of His "Open, Non-Partisan, Public" Meeting

I've been a thorn in Ezra's side for years. He's terrified of me.

Alheli Picazo • June 16, 2015

Facts often prove a nuisance to those with an agenda to push or a narrative to sell. Just as those who peddle snake-oil rely on manufactured illness to hawk miracle cures, those who ply their trade in fear rely on ignorance to further an ideology.

I’ve long used social media as a means to combat misinformation, and it just so happens that one of my earliest fact-checks involved a media personality who wears his well-established history of “reckless disregard for the truth” as a point of pride.

In September 2010, ahead of the Sun News Network’s launch, future-host Ezra Levant penned an astonishingly libelous column for the Sun chain of papers accusing billionaire philanthropist George Soros of, among other things, having been a Nazi collaborator.

I combed through Levant’s column, countering each false assertion with documented facts, and soon learned my effort had made its way to Soros himself, who then notified Sun Media of his intent to sue for defamation.

A full retraction and apology was issued, noting there was “no basis for the statements in the column … Sun Media and Ezra Levant retract the statements made in the column and unreservedly apologize to Mr. Soros for the distress and harm this column may have caused him.”

I continued to follow Levant’s work - and that of his colleagues - after Sun News went to air, documenting mistruths, mocking hyperbolic absurdities, and when possible, pairing false reports with links to the facts.

Though I’d become somewhat of a thorn in Levant’s side, it was my possession of the only recording of his racist anti-Roma tirade after Sun News thought they’d effectively purged it from existence - a recording which aided in forcing him to, again, issue a groveling apology - which cemented his disdain for me.

And perhaps explains why the self-described “fearless Rebel Commander” is so, utterly terrified of me.

When The Rebel, Levant’s online vanity project launched after Sun News’ demise, promoted an “EMERGENCY PUBLIC MEETING” regarding Alberta’s future under the “extremist” Notley regime - an event billed as “an independent, non-partisan meeting, open to the public for free” - I reserved a pair of seats.

After receiving a confirmation email from Amanda Achtman, Levant’s loyal apprentice who first served him at Ethical Oil before joining him at Sun News and now The Rebel, I was surprised to find another email, this one directly from Levant, notifying me of his personal intervention to cancel my reservation, claiming to be “concerned from your past conduct that you will be disruptive and profane.”

Knowing Levant’s assertions were fabricated, I requested evidence to support his allegations of my “past conduct” or “track-record” of being “disruptive and profane.”

I posted a screenshot of the exchange to twitter, and quickly received numerous invites to be another’s +1 for the Calgary event.

I sent a number of follow-up emails to both Levant and Achtman, requesting proof of the various allegations cited to justify cancelling my reservation, and specifically asked whether I’d be barred from entering if I attended as someone’s guest.

Despite repeated requests, neither opted to respond.

After being asked to write about the presentation, I took a right-leaning friend - a Levant fan - up on the ‘+1’ offer and agreed to meet at the Carriage House Inn, the town hall’s location, a half-hour before its scheduled start.

I arrived in good time, maneuvered my way through the steady-stream of attendees and proceeded to the check-in tables. Before I had a chance to confirm my attendance, however, I was whisked away by a pair men whom Levant hired, it seemed, to specifically watch for me and prevent my participation. When I asked for an explanation as to why I was disallowed from this “open to the public” forum, I was told it was open to everyone — except me.

Neither man could explain why, only that they were under strict orders to ensure I didn’t get in.

When Levant ventured out to greet people, he accidentally offered me a hearty “Hello, and welcome!” before recognition set in, after which he frantically turned-tail and rushed away, shouting that I was “not welcome here,” refusing to answer when I asked him to come back, face me, and explain why.

As I stood in the lobby he passed by twice more, perhaps hoping I’d pull a Levant and cause a scene, but I simply continued to request explanation, and he continued to remain silent as he hurried by.

It was the same with Achtman who bolted when she first saw me, later making a few extra passes, each time refusing to stop and answer my queries. I offered to leave once I received an explanation as to why I was barred, but was told by one of Levant’s hired henchmen that I’d get no explanation, and if I did not leave I’d be arrested.

Knowing I’d done nothing wrong, I offered to face arrest, to stay and wait for the police to sort things out. When the police arrived, they seemed completely baffled by the farce. According to his gatekeepers, Levant claimed I’d “long been banned” from the Carriage House Inn, though I’d never once before set foot there. He also alleged I had a “track-record” of disrupting his events - his guards even claimed there were pictures, though neither I nor the police were allowed to see them - and he had a documented history of my ejections — again, flat-out lies.

Once the police determined all the allegations Levant provided were false, they simply shrugged and said there were no grounds on which to arrest me, nor could they force me to leave. One officer suggested I could “make better use of the night in this beautiful weather” than wait on an explanation which likely wouldn’t come, and I agreed.

I thanked them for their time and went on my way.
and you will quickly see that she is a renowned leftard rabble rouser whose approach is mostly to shout down anyone she does not agree with. I wouldn't let her into any meeting I ran either. Oh, and while you are at it, you can contribute to her several "go fund me" and the like attempts to extract your money to fund her supposed causes and hardships (?). She has a significant "track record" of disrespectful disruption, profanity, etc., which of course, she has "forgotten". And if you believe her "factual" account of almost anything, I have this beautiful property in Upper Moose Groin for sale ...?

It is in no way Exra being "terrified" of Alheli. VEry laughable. It is much more like Alheli being terrified of actual free speech and expression by those who do not subscribe to her personal agenda.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
and you will quickly see that she is a renowned leftard rabble rouser whose approach is mostly to shout down anyone she does not agree with. I wouldn't let her into any meeting I ran either. Oh, and while you are at it, you can contribute to her several "go fund me" and the like attempts to extract your money to fund her supposed causes and hardships (?). She has a significant "track record" of disrespectful disruption, profanity, etc., which of course, she has "forgotten". And if you believe her "factual" account of almost anything, I have this beautiful property in Upper Moose Groin for sale ...?

It is in no way Exra being "terrified" of Alheli. VEry laughable. It is much more like Alheli being terrified of actual free speech and expression by those who do not subscribe to her personal agenda.
slow down muffin you're going to blow a booger bubble.

the op asked; what constitutes a journalist? and then muzzling of the press got mixed in the fray.

is she a journalist?

was she muzzled?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post

Jebus mang, y'all got that angry neo-con routine down tight. Ezra would be proud.