Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Ohhhhh! Oban Distiller's edition! That looks like something I must find and try! Love the Oban 14...keep me posted on that one.

And the offer stands, if you would like to try a Kavalan that isn't too stupid, I am willing to facilitate and mail to you. It is a pricey bottle even in that $250-275 range, but there is no doubt they have done something special there in Taiwan.
I'm most intrigued by your generous offer! I will check a few more of the local stores to see if I can save you the hassle of facilitating the entire ordeal!
$300 for a bottle is acceptable to me. A special bottle that is!

The Oban is excellent, it has an additional layer of wood finish and slightly more peat than the good ol' 14 year old, which is one of my Scotches of choice.

I guess all of the Scotches are members of my Scotches of Choice group though!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I'm most intrigued by your generous offer! I will check a few more of the local stores to see if I can save you the hassle of facilitating the entire ordeal!
$300 for a bottle is acceptable to me. A special bottle that is!

The Oban is excellent, it has an additional layer of wood finish and slightly more peat than the good ol' 14 year old, which is one of my Scotches of choice.
More oak? Sounds like I need to track one down! PM coming your way.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Sorry, Twisted Canuck, I did not mean any bad thoughts, if you are a Single Malt Scotch connoisseur, WHICH I BELIEVE YOU ARE, you will know what I mean, anyway just had to try some LAPHROAIG 10 year old and it is S___T, it is horrible, I spit it out and that bottle went into my never never land. It just goes to show you that not every bottle of Single Malt is good, but that is RARE. Anyway carry on.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 AM

No harm done...it is unfortunate that you didn't like the Laphroaig. It is certainly an acquired taste, certainly one of, if not The, most flavorful of Islay malts. Many people are turned off by all the smoke and peat, iodine and brine flavor. A friend of mine likened it to starting a fire in a wet peat bog, then taking a sheep, soaking wet with sea water, rolling it in the fire....and then licking it. Yum.

He hated Islay malts then, but at my instigation he has come to love them. Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Bowmore...definitely acquired taste. I personally love Laphroaig, but if it's your first try on it out of the blue, I can see that being a very rude awakening. The Quarter Cask is even more so...

There are many fine malts out there to enjoy, luckily, and everyone will find the profile that suits them best. For years I was almost exclusively into the big peat and smoke Islays, now it's less frequented, and I find I really enjoy something finished in port, with a hint of smoke.

Whisky is good. Cheers!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
No harm done...it is unfortunate that you didn't like the Laphroaig. It is certainly an acquired taste, certainly one of, if not The, most flavorful of Islay malts. Many people are turned off by all the smoke and peat, iodine and brine flavor. A friend of mine likened it to starting a fire in a wet peat bog, then taking a sheep, soaking wet with sea water, rolling it in the fire....and then licking it. Yum.

He hated Islay malts then, but at my instigation he has come to love them. Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Bowmore...definitely acquired taste. I personally love Laphroaig, but if it's your first try on it out of the blue, I can see that being a very rude awakening. The Quarter Cask is even more so...

There are many fine malts out there to enjoy, luckily, and everyone will find the profile that suits them best. For years I was almost exclusively into the big peat and smoke Islays, now it's less frequented, and I find I really enjoy something finished in port, with a hint of smoke.

Whisky is good. Cheers!
Nothing to add to this other than to say I agree!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Lol! Post of the day.” A friend of mine likened it to starting a fire in a wet peat bog, then taking a sheep, soaking wet with sea water, rolling it in the fire....and then licking it. Yum.” Twisted Canuck.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM

I always thought it was a good line. Credit to Scott, formerly of Vintage...

Speaking of which, I swung by today as I was in the neighborhood picking up some supplies...and Vintage has a good stock of under $300 Kavalan. Picture file is too big to attach, but they have Bourbon Cask $236.85, Sherry Cask $236.85, Vinho Barrique $292.45, Port Cask $248.65, and Peaty Cask $236.85..all Solist, plus GST and deposit. For those who are interested and can't find it locally. I can also text or email pictures so you know exactly what bottle it is. TC

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-06-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
just had to try some LAPHROAIG 10 year old and it is S___T, it is horrible, I spit it out and that bottle went into my never never land.
I put forth a motion to ban Rastus from this thread due to self admitted Scotch abuse!

I love Islay malts. Nothing like a peat bog fire in your mouth! But then again, the Speyside in my glass is just as delectable!

Last edited by grouse_hunter; 12-06-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM

Just a heads up...

Costco has 1000ml bottles of Glenmorangie 10 for $49.99.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I always thought it was a good line. Credit to Scott, formerly of Vintage...

Speaking of which, I swung by today as I was in the neighborhood picking up some supplies...and Vintage has a good stock of under $300 Kavalan. Picture file is too big to attach, but they have Bourbon Cask $236.85, Sherry Cask $236.85, Vinho Barrique $292.45, Port Cask $248.65, and Peaty Cask $236.85..all Solist, plus GST and deposit. For those who are interested and can't find it locally. I can also text or email pictures so you know exactly what bottle it is. TC
Darn, I have a very very uneducated booze palate The only scotch I can afford is the finest scotch that the GREAT state of Tennessee supplies, Jack Daniels
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I put forth a motion to ban Rastus from this thread due to self admitted Scotch abuse!

I love Islay malts. Nothing like a peat bog fire in your mouth! But then again, the Speyside in my glass is just as delectable!
Gentlemen need to encourage, not ban... Let's break all of our friends in, and help them be more appreciative.

Tonight, I am working on the Aberlour A'bunahd Batch 59....and dear Lord, is it ever good! Cask strength, 60+%, and pure Sherry bomb. I can die now.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Just a heads up...

Costco has 1000ml bottles of Glenmorangie 10 for $49.99.
That....is worth grabbing for the holidays! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Heading to Edmonton to get Mrs Noble from the airport on sunday. Any other specials or places to visit I should know about?? I'll have a good portion of the day there as her flight doesn't arrive until 9pm
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Banned

I could go for a j&b’s right now.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM
AO Sponsor

Busted open the sauternes casked Tulli last night... Talk about satisfying a sweet tooth! A lovely dessert dram!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1544143876354.jpg (31.8 KB, 23 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Heading to Edmonton to get Mrs Noble from the airport on sunday. Any other specials or places to visit I should know about?? I'll have a good portion of the day there as her flight doesn't arrive until 9pm

I tend to hit Wind and Beyond, good selection, and close to Cabela's as well...you will always find something you like there.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM

I have only recently gotten into drinking scotch and have only had 4 or 5 bottles but my favourite so far has been Glenlivet Founder's Reserve.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM

The glenlivet 12 is $40 at superstore liquor and the glenlivet 15 is $67 at sobeys right now. Enough difference to justify the extra??
Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The glenlivet 12 is $40 at superstore liquor and the glenlivet 15 is $67 at sobeys right now. Enough difference to justify the extra??
The 15 is a better smoother whisky than the 12.....but for the $ I'd say, save yourself $10 and go buy an Abelour 12 for $57 at Superstore. It's better than either of them imo.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Two different scotches with different attributes. It is worth it from the perspective of expanding your tasting profiles but is it worth it to you depends on why you like scotch what you get out of it. I like the 15 much more than the 12 but to each there own
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM

That sauterne Tulli sounds pretty good, Bob. Is it at all like the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That sauterne Tulli sounds pretty good, Bob. Is it at all like the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or?
Same but different... lol! Not much of an answer I know. I will need a bit more taste time to mine it down. Tonight I am working on the Balvenie 12 to Double wood. Was at Costco today buying supplies for my company Christmas party I am hosting tomorrow and they had it on for $60. I have passed this bottle by on many occasions bit today seemed like the right moment so I caved and bought one along with another Oban 14. I am not disappointed so far. Very non-aggressive with a lot of fruit and honey. I think it is a great option for those you are introducing to scotches!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM

It's been a few years since I had the Balvenie doublewood, but I actually also picked one up a couple weeks back ($70!)...and it really is like meeting an old friend again. Lovely dram. I was tempted to get the 21 year Balvenie Port Cask the other day, but at $330 it's just too much. So got the Aberlour A'bunahd Cask 59, and it is stellar for $126

Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Anybody in Cgy want a bottle of Talisker 10 for cheap? It's missing maybe 1 decent dram....pm please I can meet up tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 PM

Not a bad win. See ya Sunday Calg!
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Where does everyone buy there scotches from ? I've seen drastic price differences at liquor stores here in Calgary. One example is $33 difference on Glendronach 12. $51.99 in one store and $84.99 in another !!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Where does everyone buy there scotches from ? I've seen drastic price differences at liquor stores here in Calgary. One example is $33 difference on Glendronach 12. $51.99 in one store and $84.99 in another !!
I’ve always found superstore to have the best prices
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
I’ve always found superstore to have the best prices
Agree. Selection is a bit modest, but they always have some excellent standby bottles....Oban, Lagavullin, Highland Park, Balvenie, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Glendronach....so you aren't stuck with poor quality. If you have more esoteric or adventurous tastes, you can find places with great selection (Vintage, Wine and Beyond, Chateau Louis, others) but they pricing reflects the fact that they have a lot of money tied up in inventory.

Also, Costco is a place for some good deals.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Quote:
Agree. Selection is a bit modest, but they always have some excellent standby bottles....Oban, Lagavullin, Highland Park, Balvenie, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Glendronach....so you aren't stuck with poor quality. If you have more esoteric or adventurous tastes, you can find places with great selection (Vintage, Wine and Beyond, Chateau Louis, others) but they pricing reflects the fact that they have a lot of money tied up in inventory.

Also, Costco is a place for some good deals.
I've also found Superstore to be the best prices but with a limited selection. Wind and Beyond has an awesome selection but their prices are ridiculous at best.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you have more esoteric or adventurous tastes, you can find places with great selection (Vintage, Wine and Beyond, Chateau Louis, others)
I can add Keg and Cork as well as Sherbrook in Edmonton. Chateau Louis is my choice because it's owned by fellow Ukrainians.