Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Default Lost Game: Alarming "New" trend or Old News...

Is it just me or does it seem there is an unusual number of threads about lost game. I think I have read at least 4 within the past few weeks. I am not here to criticize those in this situation. they are one here looking for advice on recovery and show genuine concern over there situations...

I am just curious how often does this happen? I am sure not everyone who makes a bad shot.... or a good one for that matter and fails to recover there animal does not always run here and report it. They just move on and hopefully learn from there mistakes.

How many of the "poaching" reports you here about where game has been found in a field are simply a matter of a hunter who couldnt find his downed animal?

How often does a hunter have to abandon his search due to darkness only to find a bone pile the next day from the coyotes?

Anyways, Like I said... I am not here to pass judgement, there are always 100 circumstances leading up to every situation and many of those are beyond the control of those involved.

J
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem there is an unusual number of threads about lost game. I think I have read at least 4 within the past few weeks. I am not here to criticize those in this situation. they are one here looking for advice on recovery and show genuine concern over there situations...

I am just curious how often does this happen? I am sure not everyone who makes a bad shot.... or a good one for that matter and fails to recover there animal does not always run here and report it. They just move on and hopefully learn from there mistakes.

How many of the "poaching" reports you here about where game has been found in a field are simply a matter of a hunter who couldnt find his downed animal?

How often does a hunter have to abandon his search due to darkness only to find a bone pile the next day from the coyotes?

Anyways, Like I said... I am not here to pass judgement, there are always 100 circumstances leading up to every situation and many of those are beyond the control of those involved.

J

i think for every man who cowboys up and asks for a little help with the situation theres probably dozen more that keep quiet and hope no one knows anything. people need to take time to calm their nerves before they shoot or release an arrow. inmo its buck fever that screws judgement and shot placement. i dont think too many hunters will take stupid shots on purpose or that their intent is to shoot and not recover
Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Well ever since man started to throw rocks, hurl spears, and so on there has been lost game. With more and more people signing up on the forums everyday it only makes sense that we are going to hear about more and more hunts, both successfull and not. I wouldn't say that there are more animals being lost, as it happens every year, we are simply finding out about more of them. There is nothing good about losing an animal but at least people seem to be searching and then asking for help and then searching again which shows they are genuine about trying to recover the animal.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post

J
If you haven't wounded and lost animals you haven't hunted very long. It's a part of it we don't like to admit but happens to everyone. I've lost many over the years (25 years of hunting). Congrats to the guys asking for a hand.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Nothing new, but now you can tell everyone about it, on the net, and maybe get some help finding it. Unfortunately, time is a factor in salvaging the situation.

Grizz