Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Default map of all fishable bodies of water

Does a map of Alberta showing all the fishable lakes/ponds exist? I think it would be a very useful tool. I'm sure there are lots of small lakes that people overlook all the time.

Does anybody know of any kind of map? Or even guide/book?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 AM

Default There are a few

Coming to mind:
Barry Mitchell's guide, JTS1 fishing map (Search the site), Book about fishing the trunk road. They are out there. Use Google earth in combination with fishing regs, Barry Mitchell's guide and there are lakes etc. that are off shoots of others that no one fishes. Put a little work into it and you will get returns. Many are the lake x that we all sometimes refer to.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Try the Alberta Angler's Atlas

http://www.anglersatlas.com/mapsearch/googlemap/AB/

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Buy a "Backroads Fishing Atlas" book from Can tire for your area. They are invaluable and show every little pond and stream with a description of what type of fish are in it, maps, tips etc. The give you great ideas for exploring places where few have been. Even has info you can't find online.

They are usually near the automotive section with the maps.

I have one for Southern AB and Interior of BC. Everytime I look at it it's like planning a holiday whether I want to drive for an hour or take a week.

Highly recommended to everyone including hikers, kayakers and naturists in general. Follow a couple routes and you will be reminded of this beautiful country we live in.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks alot. I had a Barry mitchelles guide... It was great bit I lost it and can't find another one anywhere. The Alberta anglers atlas is a good tool also bit o find they are missing lots of stuff. I will have to look for the backroads fishing atlas, that guide sounds really good. I will check out that JTS1 fishing map once I get home.

It would just be really nice to have an easy to access visual of all the waters on a Google map, sorta like the one on this site of all the good spots, only showing fishable lakes instead of hot spots
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM

All you have to do is look at a map, find the name of the lake, and look in the regs to see what it has. Or do the reverse, look in the regs to find names of lakes with the type of fish your looking for, and then find it on the map. I don't think you'll find exactly what your looking for, unless someones come up with one as of late...
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Default Watch the regs

Be careful just using the regs for places as many of us fish where they are not even listed in the regs but are good fishing holes.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM

I just bought the Backroad Mapbook... it is alright, shows alot of lakes, but it is also missing quite a few. I supposed a guy will just have to use all the different guides to find a place
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

barry mitchels is a good on moreon the trunk road but for te rest of the province the backpacking/fishing guide in alberta from wal-mart and canadian tire have em for about 30 bucks well worth it.it tells fish species how big they are and whats best to use.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM

IFishAlberta app for Iphone is worth the $5, not 100% of fishable waters, but most of them are in there. Some have depth charts, recent reviews, species and limits, directions, etc. Can search by name or proximity, Quite handy and easy to use
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM

ya, I wish I could get that app... I have a windows phone tho... I emailed Barry Mitchell tonight, and asked him if he is still making them or not, and if he could sell me one.

The problem with all of it is that it takes so much time to locate all these lakes in the guides. I just wish there was something that easily displayed all in area.(probaly what the ifish app does)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
ya, I wish I could get that app... I have a windows phone tho... I emailed Barry Mitchell tonight, and asked him if he is still making them or not, and if he could sell me one.

The problem with all of it is that it takes so much time to locate all these lakes in the guides. I just wish there was something that easily displayed all in area.(probaly what the ifish app does)
You emailed Barry Mitchell?? Last time i was in Canadian Tire they had a bunch of them right on the counter..

Same thing with TFH, WSS, BPS, Walmart, etc
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM

yeah, not in wainwright or lloyd. checked today, dont know when I can get to a different city....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
yeah, not in wainwright or lloyd. checked today, dont know when I can get to a different city....
Well, it's a yearly publication (Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide) and the 2010 edition was supposed to be displayed only until December 2010. That could be a reason that you can't find it right now. The new one should be out in a few weeks. You will likely see it in your local bookstore or as FishingFrenzy mentioned, in Canadian Tire or Walmart. Check wherever you can buy a fishing/hunting license. They usually have it at the till.

If you can't find one, places like chapters do special orders all the time. If you really need one and still can't get a hold of one, you can send me a cheque for $11 and I'll buy one and send it to you.