Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Done with - Vanish!!!!!!

Last straw! I'd already gave up on this stuff, but had one last leader tied on so I just used it, and it broke. At wabamun, 6" smelt, I think this would have been the biggest fish i've ever caught, guessing over 20lbs the way it was pulling, it was pulling drag like crazy, and after the leader broke, trying to set up again, I couldn't even pull line out by hand.

I hate Berkley Vanish with a passion, thought it would be fairly decent because it was the most expensive fluorocarbon I could find at the time, blah blah about flexibility and strength and abrasion resistance blah blah blah.....

Wow was I ever wrong! Hate it hate it hate it! never had a line fail on me like this stuff has.

Last edited by BrownBear416; 03-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
hunter49

I'm assuming you mean vanish. I've used it with good results. I would never use any flourocarbon for pike though, wire only. Especially fishing bait, where the risk of them taking it deep is much higher. Maybe you got an old spool?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM

yeah, thanks. meant vanish. It was on a pike rig, so I assume the knot failed, teeth shouldn't have been near the line. but it has always failed me. never had problems like i have had with this stuff. got 3/4 of it still left on the spool if anyone wants it!!!! free!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM

i will take it!!!!!! lol. works just fine for me. sorry to hear you lost your fish.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 PM

flouro is a bit harder to tie knots with. but i love berkley vanish 2nd best flouro IMO right next to PLINE
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM

How heavy were you using?? Pike are pike, there teeth are damn jagged. I would never use those fluoro leaders for them. I have seen pike bit through those 100lb "big game" fluoro pike/musky leaders before. Wire is the only way to go.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Not to start any debates about adequate line strengths for pike fishing (there are many threads with opinions about this) but there is a difference between fluorocarbon fishing line & fluorocarbon leader material; the leader material is far more durable stuff. I've had oodles of breakoffs with pike on fluoro line with no leader but none using the leader material
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM

another vote for vanish sucks. it does a great job vanishing in clear water. but its ability to hold knots as well as load is not very good. I have tried a few different knots with success but in the end not worth the money. it is not abrasion resistant at all either. I find every lure change in the summer i needed to peel 3-5 feet off.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM

8 lb braid with a wire leader landed me a 15 lb fish I wouldn't use any other combo for jackfish.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 AM

I've only used light Vanish - 4lb and 6lb. At the beginning of the year I spooled up two reels with the stuff and used it for a couple trips. I didn't have any issues with knot strength, but the memory on that stuff is terrible. I'd open up my bail and it would just spring off the spool. I ended up pulling all the line off those reels and replacing one with Cajun Red ice line, and the other with good ol' Trilene.

As for fluorocarbon leaders, I've been using 50lb Big Game fluorocarbon leader material and so far it's held up quite well. I've had pike that *really* chewed on the leader and it was just a little nicked up - I'm actually really surprised how tough this stuff is

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Tried 17lb for lakers and for use on walleye spinner rigs. The kids now use it for making necklaces ! At least if it gets caught on something it'll break right away !! Lost several big trout , and couldn't get a knot tightened without breaking. Went back to Silverthread excalibur , never broke off a trout and use it foe walleye leaders. LOVE IT !
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm with with that crap too. Still looking for a quality flouro that holds the knots like it should. Trying seaguar this summer.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Weird, i dont get it, ive used Berkley Vanish my whole life with NO issues. i hope you all know that you cant use a regular fishing knot with fluorocarbon. Your supposed to tie "the fluorocarbon knot" or the polymer knot, as flurocarbon wont hold with fishing knots, thats why its breaking on you guys. And when you do, hold it under water as you tighten the knot. The stuff rocks, plain and simple. For leader that is.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I'm with with that crap too. Still looking for a quality flouro that holds the knots like it should. Trying seaguar this summer.
Give the Berkley 100% Floro a try. I spooled up an ice rod with it this winter and I really like it so far. I'm using it on an ultralight rod, 4lb test, and so far no issues with memory, and I've had great luck with knots. I've been using a trilene knot I think, it seems to work the best for me with that stuff. Palomar would probably work good too...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Give the Berkley 100% Floro a try. I spooled up an ice rod with it this winter and I really like it so far. I'm using it on an ultralight rod, 4lb test, and so far no issues with memory, and I've had great luck with knots. I've been using a trilene knot I think, it seems to work the best for me with that stuff. Palomar would probably work good too...
Yup, I have some in 8lb right now using it as leaders for walleye fishing. So far so good.

In regards to critter's post...I'm talking snells. If the line won't hold it's rated weight on a snell, then it's worthless to me.

Vansih has to be one of the most contraversal lines out there. Some have loads of luck, some have nothing but bad to say for it. It must be an inconsistant product, this is the only way that we could have such two way answers on it. Some good product, some made on a friday afternoon. It's the only explanation.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM

I agree with you there nicemustang. I have simply purchased a bad spool before. Only happened once, but it was 10 lb vanish from canadian tire acouple years ago, went to spray, broke off first 2 fish of the morning, then could barely get a knot to hold the rest of the day. Threw that **** out, and have bought from wholesale or basspro since and have had no issues at all. I find the lighter stuff is always bulletproof (2-6 lb) and you can tie any knot with it as long as its well lubed, but the tougher stuff from 10-20 lb requires special knots (polymer/ fluoro knot) and needs to be tightened under water. In my experience.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
How heavy were you using?? Pike are pike, there teeth are damn jagged. I would never use those fluoro leaders for them. I have seen pike bit through those 100lb "big game" fluoro pike/musky leaders before. Wire is the only way to go.
it depends on hopw many pound wire line you use iv used 25lb and have pike shred it too bits and still got the leader hanging in mytacklebox
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
yeah, thanks. meant vanish. It was on a pike rig, so I assume the knot failed, teeth shouldn't have been near the line. but it has always failed me. never had problems like i have had with this stuff. got 3/4 of it still left on the spool if anyone wants it!!!! free!
what was the line rating ? lbs
Old 03-08-2011, 06:01 AM

I use 2 lb black fire ice for perch and have not broken a line yet when 3 to 5 lb pike take the hook, and they have the line in there mouth. I can imagine what 10 lb or more is like. If I was setting up a pike rig I would use 15 lb fire ice. They say 2 lb = 4 lb mono and is as thick as 1 lb. so 15 lb would = about 30 or more and be about as thick as 8 lb mono. Need a sharp knife to cut the 2 lb so its realy abraisive resistant. Was using 6 lb on my rod this summer and never lost a hook catching 8 lb walleye at calling lake. On the thicker lines like that give an extra one or two loops or twists on your hook tying.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 PM

Berkely developed their 100% Fluorocarbon in specific response to the failure that Vanish was.

Vanish is "controversial" because it is a poor line. 100% is tougher and it holds knots far better than Vanish.

Spend the money and get a decent line like 100% (or Maxima Fluoro) instead of that cheap crap Vanish.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 PM

i only fish with 8lb vanish. i use it in the summer and winter and vary rarely have a break off. i have caught lots of 15lb+ fish. this is the best line i've found to date. and i use a regular fishermans knot. i also find it has a low memory and never have a problem with it falling off the spool. if you are having that problem you are putting it on wrong.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayze View Post
i only fish with 8lb vanish. i use it in the summer and winter and vary rarely have a break off. i have caught lots of 15lb+ fish. this is the best line i've found to date. and i use a regular fishermans knot. i also find it has a low memory and never have a problem with it falling off the spool. if you are having that problem you are putting it on wrong.
thats great that it works for you but im putting in another vote for terrible line. Has some of the worst memory ive seen in fishing line, doesnt hold knots and the abrasion resistency is very low.

its pretty hard to spool it wrong when your using a spooling machine. still springs off the spool.