Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Default ice fishing around Edmonton (new to ice fishing)

Hey everyone! so me and my dad go out ice fishing atleast twice every winter just to have fun (were mostly fly fishers so we like the Rivers) so usually we go to lac St.Anne and lac isle and don't really catch a hell of alot, does anyone know any lakes where I might be able to catch a few perch I would love to try them they seem tasty but eyes an whites are fine to so any advice on lakes? and also techniques and what type of bait and lures should a guy use for said fish while ice fishing?

thank you all and Im not asking for your secrets just general advice pls Pms welcome

P.S we live in St. albert
Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 AM

anyone?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

don't live in that country anymore. isle was always good for a few but the reports this year have been pretty spotty. alberta beach on the north east side at gunn possibly. the only real sure bet to get into a few fish close to the city would be to drown some bigger baits under tip-ups at Wab for northerns. looks like the boys have been doing pretty good there of late.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Spring and Hasse by stony plain are FULL of small perch with the chance of something decent at Spring. I've heard people have had some luck with perch at the south end of coal lake (near Wetaskiwin). But coal is always decent for a few small pike. I've been out to Wab and didnt catch anything but there's some guys on here that have great luck out there. Chip lake isn't too far and its always decent for some pike and burbot.

There is lots of potholes around stony plain! I would pick up Barry Mitchells guide or run a search on these forums for: Jackfish lake, hasse lake, spring lake, mink lake, they all have perch as far as i know.

Pigeon is also good for walleyes!

Tight lines!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM

well if the weather straightens out for tomorow i think we'll give coal or pigeon a try

thanks for the advice guys
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

I might be a little late to the party, but I'll put in another vote for Wab...I've been having lots of fun out there this winter

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 PM

thanks geezle yes we made the final decision to go to wabamun should be fun tomorow
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Hey ya I might head out to wab tomorrow to. Know what area you guys are going to?? I was thinking maybe seba but anytime I've driven by there hasn't been many ppl on the ice at that area :S no good this winter ???
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
Hey ya I might head out to wab tomorrow to. Know what area you guys are going to?? I was thinking maybe seba but anytime I've driven by there hasn't been many ppl on the ice at that area :S no good this winter ???
I've heard about Seba, but I haven't been down that way yet. Too many other spots to fish

Just because there aren't a lot of people doesn't mean that there's no fish there - heck, I go out of my way to find spots with less people...I like it a little quieter most of the time Of course it doesn't help when people spot me and follow me around...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm taking my kids and my dad out tomorrow as well. Still havnt picked the spot yet but I have all day to decide that. Also leaving from st Albert so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread to check out the recommendations.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM

Yeah maybe I'll try fallis area? How deep do u usually go? At wab? I know last winter it was like 15-20ft? And got my biggest at 15lb. I wanna get bigger :-D lol.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM

WAB WAB WAB WAB

it'sALIVE !!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM

I dunno if it's very much alive like u said but I've had 2bites and about 5other ppl around me don't seem to have much like either. At south seba. I'm there now..
Old 03-12-2011, 04:46 PM

we managed 3 pike around 30inches this morning and one whitefish at the marina it slowed down around lunch
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
WAB WAB WAB WAB

it'sALIVE !!!!!
Served your suspension and back at er' so early??
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
I dunno if it's very much alive like u said but I've had 2bites and about 5other ppl around me don't seem to have much like either. At south seba. I'm there now..
They can't all be winners.

Nevertheless I landed 7 or 8 yesterday with a personal best mixed in there so I'd go with SafetyD on this one and say she's alive.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Well believe it or not after i posted that message i got 4 in a row lol.. then died down by 4:00ish or so.. biggest was 33"