Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2023, 12:39 PM

Default CWD wait times 2023

Has anyone been hearing back yet with their results?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2023, 01:43 PM

just waiting on wainwright hunt results
from the November hunt, 1 deer taken 6 Nov results back 27 Nov, samples submitted 20 Nov, results back 6 Dec
2 others i hunt with that put in heads taken around the first week got their results back already
Old 12-17-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brie21 View Post
just waiting on wainwright hunt results

from the November hunt, 1 deer taken 6 Nov results back 27 Nov, samples submitted 20 Nov, results back 6 Dec

2 others i hunt with that put in heads taken around the first week got their results back already
Did they email you? I submitted mine around the middle of November and haven't heard back yet

Old 12-17-2023, 03:12 PM

I got an email with the results.

Submitted head early November and got the results 3 weeks later. Fastest I have had yet.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Did they email you? I submitted mine around the middle of November and haven't heard back yet

Yes, both emails recieved no issue. Submission in wmu234, both negative results on whitetail. Friends had negative results on mulie does, same zone
Old 12-19-2023, 11:12 AM

I just got my results in. And my buck tested positive. Kind of a bummer.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:36 AM

Cousin has a positive mule buck😕
Old 12-19-2023, 12:39 PM

Submitted a WT buck head on Nov 17th, received an email back on December 8th. Unfortunately it was positive. Hard to believe as the deer was in excellent shape, with lots of fat reserves. This is the second consecutive positive result from my local hunting area.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:40 PM

Submitted Nov 3rd
Results Nov 20th

WMU214 Neg Mulie doe

Submitted Nov18
Results Dec 14th

WMU214 Pos Mulie buck
Old 12-19-2023, 01:12 PM

Dang that sucks guys. Mine was nice and beefy and looked healthy. What's the consensus, are we tossing the meat or keeping it?

Most guys I talk to aren't testing. I don't think this was one of the concerns zones. I did out of curiosity.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Dang that sucks guys. Mine was nice and beefy and looked healthy. What's the consensus, are we tossing the meat or keeping it?

Most guys I talk to aren't testing. I don't think this was one of the concerns zones. I did out of curiosity.

There are a few good podcast on it. Mine wasn't a tested zone or even on the radar but I did it as the WMU was surrounded by survey areas. Ended up eating the tenderloins and heart before the results since my doe and my buddies buck were negative. Bleached my knives and throwing away the rest of the meat.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
There are a few good podcast on it. Mine wasn't a tested zone or even on the radar but I did it as the WMU was surrounded by survey areas. Ended up eating the tenderloins and heart before the results since my doe and my buddies buck were negative. Bleached my knives and throwing away the rest of the meat.
I'll probably do the same. What a shame. I waited a few years to get drawn for this buck. I was actually going to cook some up as I was getting impatient waiting for the results. I wasn't even going to have him tested. Then I checked my email this morning and it said right in the subject line that it was positive.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I'll probably do the same. What a shame. I waited a few years to get drawn for this buck. I was actually going to cook some up as I was getting impatient waiting for the results. I wasn't even going to have him tested. Then I checked my email this morning and it said right in the subject line that it was positive.

Sorry to hear that! Mine was a P7 as well so it does sting quite a bit more. Glad you got it tested though, better safe than sorry especially if you are going to share it with family or friends. Although it hasn't transferred between deer and human like cow has, it still poses a risk as its not zero.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
Sorry to hear that! Mine was a P7 as well so it does sting quite a bit more. Glad you got it tested though, better safe than sorry especially if you are going to share it with family or friends. Although it hasn't transferred between deer and human like cow has, it still poses a risk as its not zero.
Ya it might be totally fine but I'd rather not chance it. It's hard to tell what to do. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I had an amazing hunt tho. I saw Mr Big on the first day but didn't have a good shot. So I came back the next day. And there he was. Right on schedule.

I made an awesome euro mount.

I did spend a lot of time processing and vacuum sealing. And those bags aren't free lol.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:50 PM

I dropped off my head nov 26 and got a negative result back dec 19. I used to fully process my deer. But after getting a few positive results back and having to dispose the meat as recommended, I now debone the deer and bulk freeze it until I get the results back and then thaw out and process. As much as it hurts me to have to dispose of good meat at least I’m not waisting money on throwing out pork trim and freezer bags and paper.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george 1979 View Post
I dropped off my head nov 26 and got a negative result back dec 19. I used to fully process my deer. But after getting a few positive results back and having to dispose the meat as recommended, I now debone the deer and bulk freeze it until I get the results back and then thaw out and process. As much as it hurts me to have to dispose of good meat at least I’m not waisting money on throwing out pork trim and freezer bags and paper.
That's not a bad idea.

I guess having your animals tested, whether they are from an infected area or not, is also not a bad idea. Like in my case.

It would be nice to have a testing process that gives immediate results. I totally understand the wait times. They obviously get super busy all of a sudden.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:17 AM

Default How common is CWD?

Mods if this is off topic please just delete.

My son and his friend have just got tags for 2 cow elk and they are very confident that they can fill the tags. What are the odds that the animals they shoot will be positive? Is this terrible disease "under control" by that I mean is it becoming less prevalent? Is there any way to tell before you pull the trigger?

Do we know how to eliminate it from Alberta?

Any actual information from hunters will be very helpful. Thx.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Mods if this is off topic please just delete.

My son and his friend have just got tags for 2 cow elk and they are very confident that they can fill the tags. What are the odds that the animals they shoot will be positive? Is this terrible disease "under control" by that I mean is it becoming less prevalent? Is there any way to tell before you pull the trigger?

Do we know how to eliminate it from Alberta?

Any actual information from hunters will be very helpful. Thx.
Ok my knowledge is so so on the subject so definitely look into it more than what I post

First location they are hunting plays a role because there is a decent portion of the province without any confirmed CWD cases. So first you might want to see if the area they are hunting is even an area with known CWD

Second it is my understanding elk are less likely to get CWD than deer. Look into this as I could be wrong as I was told this by a few people but have not looked into it

Third there presently no confirmed cure or way to eliminate CWD. The management plan is lower ungulate numbers to slow the spread of CWD but it doesn’t stop it from spreading.

So basically the odds of CWD will depend on the location. CWD is going to be a problem for a long time and will continue to spread regardless of the lowering of ungulate numbers
Old 12-24-2023, 08:19 AM

Default Thanks for the help

The "boys" now and engineer and a lawyer want me to "store" the meat because they don't have room. I'll need a chest freezer and can store it outside where I live. That part os OK. The member of the family from the disstaff side has said she won't eat elk, that is inspite of my claims that it is excellent.

There we have it I may have a freezer full of meat no one can eat, or a freezer full of meat only I can eat.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2023, 12:41 PM

SavageBacon is always looking for a meat for his pup…..
Old 12-24-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
SavageBacon is always looking for a meat for his pup…..
Absolutely. Any meat left longer than 1 day.... will be eaten

Old 12-24-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. Any meat left longer than 1 day.... will be eaten

1day?! Your dog is spoiled! My little dude just dug out a bone that he buried in a flower bed about a month ago and devoured it! And he feels so proud of himself, little bastard gonna stink the house now so bad that we considering moving the Christmas party to friends house..
Old 12-24-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
1day?! Your dog is spoiled! My little dude just dug out a bone that he buried in a flower bed about a month ago and devoured it! And he feels so proud of himself, little bastard gonna stink the house now so bad that we considering moving the Christmas party to friends house..
Hes got it aged to perfection now!

I limit my guys food but I wouldn't be surprised if he chews a tunnel into the freezer when I'm not looking

Old 12-24-2023, 10:49 PM

^ Lol. I saw a picture and believe he can do it too.

Many years ago, my friend had a Rottweiler. Her favourite toys were boulders almost the size of my head, lol.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:27 PM

Default Results

We submitted 2 from early Nov and had results back in about 3 weeks. A big muley buck and a doe from 108. Both came back negative. The next one was about two weeks later in the season and nothing back yet. Definitely takes longer once the season gets underway. The results came back via email.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ame4862 View Post
We submitted 2 from early Nov and had results back in about 3 weeks. A big muley buck and a doe from 108. Both came back negative. The next one was about two weeks later in the season and nothing back yet. Definitely takes longer once the season gets underway. The results came back via email.
Good news. Hopefully the last one is negative too. Ya when I dropped my sample off right at mid November, when it was around 10° out, the freezer was completely empty.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:25 AM

Zone 236 results are in for our hunting party

3 Mulie's 1 Whitetail all positive

Good thing we filled the moose tags
Old 01-10-2024, 11:43 AM

Default CWD positive

Buddy just got his results back from Hanna area in WMU160.
Two mule does both positive.
What a waste of time, money, and energy.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Zone 236 results are in for our hunting party

3 Mulie's 1 Whitetail all positive

Good thing we filled the moose tags
Ah crap that a real bummer. We need quicker results. And pretty soon it will be mandatory testing for everything.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post
Buddy just got his results back from Hanna area in WMU160.

Two mule does both positive.

What a waste of time, money, and energy.
I hear you. I'll do a simpler way of processing next time until after I get my results.