Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Ice fishing sled mod.

I have noticed that the slider kits for sleds are running around the $50 mark. Couple days ago, I was wondering if a kids "crazy carpet" cut into strips would work underneath a sled. Using contact cement glue, the runners could have strips doubled up with the wide areas between the runners having a single layer attached. The runners should be able to glide over the ice easily and the areas between the runners would be able to move over the snow. These "crazy carpets" should be able to be found in garage sales over the summer for .50 cents. A lot cheaper than buying the runner kits.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM

old pair of skies
Old 03-12-2011, 09:31 PM

I agree with the skis for sleds that are running on 2x4 or 2x6 runners. The skis would also help keep the sled from sinking into the snow.

I was thinking more of the store bought sleds. Take the picture below for example. On the 5 ribs, double up some strips cut to size and on the wide areas between the ribs, a single layer would be more than sufficient. This way the entire surface is protected and should make pulling over any surface extremely easy.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod235123.html
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM

well if u consider yer time and effort 50 bucks is cheap
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 PM

probably would work, but like the harry guy said lot of effort thats not needed. i have run a couple different types of these sleds for a few years, they seem to pull just fine on pretty much any surface i've run them on. haven't put too many miles on across gravel or payment though, they make wheels for that.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM

My clam kenai sled is terrible on any snow. So I picked up 6 pairs of cross country skis off of kijiji and screwed a couple of the skis to the bottom of the sled and cut the overhang off. I think I might put 2 more skis on near the middle but that would leave me with 4 more pairs so if anyone needs any and are around the lethbridge area let me know.

Nate
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I have noticed that the slider kits for sleds are running around the $50 mark. Couple days ago, I was wondering if a kids "crazy carpet" cut into strips would work underneath a sled. Using contact cement glue, the runners could have strips doubled up with the wide areas between the runners having a single layer attached. The runners should be able to glide over the ice easily and the areas between the runners would be able to move over the snow. These "crazy carpets" should be able to be found in garage sales over the summer for .50 cents. A lot cheaper than buying the runner kits.
I am sure they would work fine. Not certain that contact cement would hold them together in the cold. i would try to glue a couple tiny pieces on and remove them as a test.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Go to the local arena and scrounge some of the old "puckboard". It cuts to size easily on a tablesaw and when attached, it lasts forever!! The price is right too, as it saves the caretaker a trip to the dump.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Go to the local arena and scrounge some of the old "puckboard". It cuts to size easily on a tablesaw and when attached, it lasts forever!! The price is right too, as it saves the caretaker a trip to the dump.
Really? I paid good money for new sheets of that stuff. They just finished a reno on our arena in town. I feel soooo stoopid right now.