Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Archery Bear Down

It was the 3rd last day of our hunt and as the sun started to set over the sea of northern Alberta's boreal forest, My partner yells "good Bear" I glanced out my passenger window a saw the bear for a brief second feeding in a dandelion patch on a pipeline about 150 yards off the road. I drove another mile and turned around to get another look at the bear. Upon another glance as we passed him again I knew this bear required further investigation. I parked the truck about 1 mile up the old road. With the wind in my face I began my stalk between the young popular trees, however it was like walking on cornflakes so I decided to cross the pipeline and skirt the bush line and come in from above him as he was feeding in a small bowl. With anticipation growing as I crested the small hill I reached for my range finder and s&%t I forgot it back at the truck. Oh well, I belly crawled to the top of the hill until I seen his back hairs, Slowly got to my knees and had a better look, oh yes I wanted this bear. I laid back down and questioned my partner on the distance to far side of the pipeline, he said 55 yards and I was I agreed. That puts that bear around 45 yards. I knocked an Maxima Blue streak equipped with 100gr Rage hypodermic and got to my knees again, drew my bow and released. The bear spun around 180 degrees and let out a "woof" as my arrow sailed 4" over his back. I couldn't believe the deception the small bowl made in distance judgment. That bear is only 30 yards I said to my partner. At this time we were back on our stomachs as the bear was sitting staring in our direction trying to negotiate what he had just heard. 3 minutes went by and I slowly got back to my knees and the bear was back feeding. I knocked another arrow placed my 30 yard pin on the lungs and released. This time I watched the fletching's disappear into the thick black hide as the bear paralleled me and headed for the timber. As he passed by me unaware of presence I could see the blood pumping out of the wound. I heard the crashing in the bush come to quick end and I knew this bear was mine. After a 45 minute wait we headed into timber to see a massive swath of a blood trail and 45 yards in my 2016 archery bear lay stone dead and I was beyond words excited. I must say it is ever so rewarding to spot and stalk any game and close the deal with a bow. But as this was my first spot and stalk archery bear, I was near tears as I shared this experience with my good friends. And as a professional photographer I added a few other pictures of another great time in this beautiful province we get to call home. Hope you enjoy..... Well It wouldn't let me upload all the pics. If you would like to see more bear photo's please feel free to visit my facebook page Jeff D. Frank Wildlife and Nature Photography
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (49.2 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (74.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (55.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (98.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (57.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (40.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Congrats on a nice bear
Old 05-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Great stalk! Congrats
Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Well done. Great bear!

BW
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Great story and pics!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 PM

awesome bear, congrats!
Old 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM