Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Default 2016 waterfowl scouting

how many of you have started scouting
fields types of crops being seeded???
permissions to hunt this fall???
bird count ?? hatching counts??
just in general getting in contact with land owners and finding out what crops are being seeded in what area and fields???
I know I have been going around to local farmers even helped seed a cpl 1/4s
of land for one farmer that has been quite ill during seeding time
it all helps come this fall for waterfowl hunters
helps to keep the outfitters and American hunters at bay from taking over a complete area , and giving locals no place to hunt
Old 05-29-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
how many of you have started scouting
fields types of crops being seeded???
permissions to hunt this fall???
bird count ?? hatching counts??
just in general getting in contact with land owners and finding out what crops are being seeded in what area and fields???
I know I have been going around to local farmers even helped seed a cpl 1/4s
of land for one farmer that has been quite ill during seeding time
it all helps come this fall for waterfowl hunters
helps to keep the outfitters and American hunters at bay from taking over a complete area , and giving locals no place to hunt
Sorry to tell ya but you are way too early for scouting for birds right now and is really a waste of gas money. It won't deter any outfitters or Americans either for the most part. You should be able to go out scouting and find 1-4 hunts in an evening or morning on most days.....
Old 05-29-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sorry to tell ya but you are way too early for scouting for birds right now and is really a waste of gas money. It won't deter any outfitters or Americans either for the most part. You should be able to go out scouting and find 1-4 hunts in an evening or morning on most days.....

X2
Old 05-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
X3
Old 05-29-2016, 06:36 PM

Wait til you see the migrators appearing in Sept, then worry about permission for what field they are in. For myself, I already know about a bunch of peafields being planted, in some good locations. But, we won't know if the birds will hit them til we see them doing it. I followed about 10,000 specks, 2 yrs ago, just after the Sept snowfall, from the roost, watched them look at at least 15 different fields, circle low on them, not stop on them , and head way south out of the area. Last year there were ducks and geese roosting in the peafields in Sept., and in October, big flocks were splitting up and concentrating in entirely new areas, hadn't seen over them there in 5yrs or so, and flying further from the roost than we had previously seen up there.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 PM

Default waterfowl

You won't know anything until you find the field the birds are feeding in or the water hole they are staging in, until then it will be a guess
Old 05-29-2016, 11:47 PM

I started keeping an eye out for which fields have peas already. Never too early to start. Not sure why you guys are ragging on someone for being passionate about waterfowling? Some of us simply love it and can't wait for it to begin. Diesel Weasel will most certainly have a leg up on those who did not put in the time early. All he has to do is go by the field and see if there are birds in it then phone a landowner he already has a relationship with.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Not sure those comments are ragging on the Op. Luv the enthusiasm but were just saying time and money best spent doing something else, ie. working on your rig, set ups. Im decking out my cargo trailer as we speak with serious lighting, water tank, re-doing blinds, purchase optional equip LOL etc. Have to say the older I get, luv a few more of the luxuries and comforts.

You can have all the best feed you want, doesn't mean birds will show up. any pressure will move birds yada yada. Changes daily. Farmers will always give preferential treatment to locals so don't get caught up on outfitters and such. Luv when families hunt together ie father/son/daughter. Farmers are awesome to allow us the opportunity to do the things we luv.

Successful birding is about putting serious miles on, hate to say how many miles put on this spring snow goose hunting lol. but has paid off in spades. the work is in the quality of the scouting, as stated not difficult to find 2-4 hunts in a morning or evening, enough birds out there to keep everyone happy. These past number of years have been more than exceptional, no sign of slowing down. Were lucky to have dumb birds lol, things get way tougher the further south let alone other flyways you hunt. you just don't get away with a robo and some decoys, much bigger investments required. just sayin
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 AM

At this time of year, it would best to look for areas with good habitat that will likely hold rearing / roosting / staging water over till the fall in areas with potential feed.

There are enough peas grown now, that every pea field is not the season long magic mojo peas used to be. Asking blanket permission for a pea field is not necessarily going to guarantee you hunting opportunity.

It is always best to ask for permission for specific dates rather than blanket permission,,,, so much easier for the land owner to manage hunting pressure in this way,,, and those who get permission generally have better hunting experiences.

I would suggest if you wish to contact landowners now, it is with the intention of introducing yourself to find out if they would allow hunting later on in the fall if you ask then.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Peas

Ask the big farmers where they have planted peas, and then ask permission. The geese will find you.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 AM

I'm very surprised how many geese stayed local around the rocky area this year.
I don't hunt them here, may have to start.....
Old 06-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
x4

But no matter what, id rather be out scouting and talking to landowners than sitting on the couch, so good on ya!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:45 PM

I was at the Hawreluk park yesterday - there are lots of birds there in and around the pond! Adults and hatchlings....
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Ask the big farmers where they have planted peas, and then ask permission. The geese will find you.
I did a pile of hunting just North West of Stettler last year. I easily shot barley over peas 15-1.

As was said before OP. There is too much to try and control right now. Find the birds in the fall. Get permission where they want to be. Not where you want them to be.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I did a pile of hunting just North West of Stettler last year. I easily shot barley over peas 15-1.

As was said before OP. There is too much to try and control right now. Find the birds in the fall. Get permission where they want to be. Not where you want them to be.
If you build it they will come you just need to blow your call harder and wave that flag more.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
If you build it they will come you just need to blow your call harder and wave that flag more.
Waterfowl need water more than they need food. If there ain't any suitable roosts, there won't be a duck or goose around even if the food is there.

Further to that, waterfowl don't really like getting shot at. If there isn't a safe secure roost , they will not stick around for any length of time, nor will they continue to feed on a field that someone keeps trying to shoot them every time they try to land.

To paraphrase and adapt a fairly well known bible verse to waterfowl (with apologies to the Apostle Paul and any Christians who might be offended!!!) ...

"And now these three remain: food, security and water. But the greatest of these is water!!!"
Old 06-08-2016, 12:58 AM

This year may yet prove interesting, in so far as water remaining in the various roosts and small ponds. Always are changes every year, wondering what differences we will see this year. Lot of ponds are low now, could be some spots a person usually sees birds, will be dried up pretty hard by Sept, at this rate. That could change things.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:44 AM

I have been keeping track of which of my customers has put peas in and which fields .
It does not hurt to cruise the area you ussually hunt and see what has been planted and where.
Aswell making early contact with a landowner never hurts .
Good luck this fall.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
I have been keeping track of which of my customers has put peas in and which fields .
It does not hurt to cruise the area you ussually hunt and see what has been planted and where.
Aswell making early contact with a landowner never hurts .
Good luck this fall.
Well,,,, for what it's worth,,, many landowners get enough hunters through the season that some enjoy the "quiet hunter free off season".

Be very careful and tactful on the cold calls (those landowners you don't know any better than a casual basis). There is a fine line between being a "bother" and being respectful. Most landowners in good waterfowl country expect to see hunters during the fall,,, but June is another matter.

When 1000 geese are feeding, most landowners will let the first group in that can hunt tomorrow or the next day or two. They are not going to hold the field for the stranger who dropped by last June whom they have no idea of when he might actually come out to hunt!

I will reiterate an earlier point, it serves little purpose to ask for blanket permission now in June to hunt in Sept or October for waterfowl and doing so may make you look pretty presumptuous in the eyes of some landowners. But introducing yourself with the purpose of finding out if they would be open to access requests in the fall if and when the birds are actually feeding on their fields would likely go over better.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Waterfowl need water more than they need food. If there ain't any suitable roosts, there won't be a duck or goose around even if the food is there.

Further to that, waterfowl don't really like getting shot at. If there isn't a safe secure roost , they will not stick around for any length of time, nor will they continue to feed on a field that someone keeps trying to shoot them every time they try to land.

To paraphrase and adapt a fairly well known bible verse to waterfowl (with apologies to the Apostle Paul and any Christians who miight be offended!!!) ...

"And now these three remain: food, security and water. But the greatest of these is water!!!"
I don't know much about bird hunting I usually just set up where ever and hope for the best
Old 06-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Well,,,, for what it's worth,,, many landowners get enough hunters through the season that some enjoy the "quiet hunter free off season".

Be very careful and tactful on the cold calls (those landowners you don't know any better than a casual basis). There is a fine line between being a "bother" and being respectful. Most landowners in good waterfowl country expect to see hunters during the fall,,, but June is another matter.

When 1000 geese are feeding, most landowners will let the first group in that can hunt tomorrow or the next day or two. They are not going to hold the field for the stranger who dropped by last June whom they have no idea of when he might actually come out to hunt!

I will reiterate an earlier point, it serves little purpose to ask for blanket permission now in June to hunt in Sept or October for waterfowl and doing so may make you look pretty presumptuous in the eyes of some landowners. But introducing yourself with the purpose of finding out if they would be open to access requests in the fall if and when the birds are actually feeding on their fields would likely go over better.
EXACTLY!!! Well said
Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM

Smile There will be lots of local ducks!

The first clutch is flying and the hens are sitting on eggs for the second flight. They will be airborne by Sept 1.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The first clutch is flying and the hens are sitting on eggs for the second flight. They will be airborne by Sept 1.
The first clutch is flying?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM

image.jpg little info there for the guys who think ducks have 2 hatches a year
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 PM

You killed my thunder lol!!!! But then again u do small tight circles 😛

Quote:
Attachment 122390 little info there for the guys who think ducks have 2 hatches a year
Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
You killed my thunder lol!!!! But then again u do small tight circles 😛
I like keep em tight I really don't know much about birds I usually just wing it
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Attachment 122390 little info there for the guys who think ducks have 2 hatches a year
Can't read that article.... too small. I take it that it says you are the man at killing birds lol
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Can't read that article.... too small. I take it that it says you are the man at killing birds lol
All the fancy zoom features on that new phone of yours and you can't blow it up? Unbelievable.