Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2016, 12:23 AM

Default Are mounts covered with insurance ?

We lost our home in beaconhill . I have had very limited contact with our adjuster and have yet to view my property except satellite images from the government . My downstairs living room was mounts and skulls . Just curious if any of that would be covered- from your experience - if it is how would they deem the value other than say forms or plaques ?
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 AM

That sucks! I hope you can get things sorted out!
Your insurance should cover the replacement value of the mounts themselves. So if a shoulder mount is $900 at today's prices then that is what would be covered. I had my agent out to our place last year to look at all of my stuff just in case. You can get coverage that would pay out the replacement cost of the entire hunt (say airfare and entire outfitting cost as well as all taxidermy) but it is very expensive. I personally don't know anyone that has it.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:54 AM

When my wife and I lost our house to a fire in 2011 the cost to remount my fish and deer was covered. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
We lost our home in beaconhill . I have had very limited contact with our adjuster and have yet to view my property except satellite images from the government . My downstairs living room was mounts and skulls . Just curious if any of that would be covered- from your experience - if it is how would they deem the value other than say forms or plaques ?
Just the value of the mounts.. They will not pay to go back on the hunts it took to get them.....

I am sure you had a TON of gear lost...
Get a Wholesale sports catalog and mark off everything you had...Thats how I remembered everything.. From flashlights to guns, to cases and every thing in-between.. Including world socks...

Good luck
Old 05-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Sorry for your loss !
Old 05-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys . Great idea about the catalog. The apply items that made it for outdoor gear was one fishing rod in my truck and a ladder stand I left at the lake. Not too compatable hahaha
Old 05-28-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
Thanks guys . Great idea about the catalog. The apply items that made it for outdoor gear was one fishing rod in my truck and a ladder stand I left at the lake. Not too compatable hahaha
If it means anything you. Just made it to the top of the donated
Gear list that is building up!
I don't forget things and I remember you donating a rifle to a youngster a while back !
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 09:53 PM

Get your adjuster to send you a copy of your policy (I assume the original was in the house) and make sure you read it. Some have limitations on certain items like bikes, jewellery, computers, firearms, etc. Some have a dollar cap. While most adjusters are honest, depending on the corporate culture, their job is to limit the loss to the insurance company. It's best to know what you're covered for so that you can be fair and honest and know when they are too.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 PM

Been meaning to produce a spreadsheet with all my belongings and cost of replacement for just this reason. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 AM

Aw man did you lose that big buck you shot a few years back? I just made it to LLB. I'll give you a shout and we should get grub sometime at the LLB Inn

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 PM

If you read all the fine print of your policy you will see that there is a maximum on many items, including taxidery mounts. You can get what they call "riders" that cover specific items or collections. Antiques, memrobilia, your tooth brush collection if you want. It is all on a $ per thousand, based on apprasial value. (my insurer demands a profesional appraisal)There is no set rate per thousand. Don't know why, but might have something to do with how sticky it is, if you every get broke into, or something. I have a rider on my all my mounts. I wouldn't like to only get the mounting covered for my sheep that is worth alot more that the $500.00 it cost. Yes, it costs extra, but better off to cover a once in a liftime, or unique item for what it could sell for. (with all the appropriate permits, of coarse). At least i would have enough money to go on a guided hunt or close to it for a chance to replace it.

Can I ask you for something? It would be a great service to all us that have mounts if you guys that have lost items to tell us how it all woked out for you. It could help us be prepaired better. Sorry to hear about your lose, may you have the best fall hunt of your life in 2016.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM

There is actually insurance now that you can buy that covers the taxidermy as well as the cost of re-doing the hunt at todays prices. But under regular home insurance just the taxidermy cost is covered from my understanding.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 AM

I guided a fellow a few years back that was hunting on the insurance companies dime after he had a fire. They were covering the cost of the hunt.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I guided a fellow a few years back that was hunting on the insurance companies dime after he had a fire. They were covering the cost of the hunt.
First off sorry for your loss a monetary value can't be placed on some items. Hopefully you are well compensated for your loss none the less.

Not to derail but would the cover multiple hunts if my first was unsuccessful?