Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Default Bear grylls ( Gerber) knives . Trash

I bought a bear grylls machette and survival knife for. Cabelas . At first I liked them , they had nice features and good sheaths . But once I started to put them to work I noticed the blades are totally sub- par . Very soft edge . It's getting harder and harder to find a good blade these days from those big box stores . I will be calling some local knife smiths for my next blade . My review tonight for the treestand .
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 PM

I cant speak for the Bear G models, but I have a Gerber knife that has 154CM steel and it is very good. That being said I don't buy machetes.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't touch anything with that guy's endorsement. That being said, I wouldn't buy a gerber knife for anything other than a disposable $20 pocket knife for work. Sadly they just aren't what they used to be.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
I wouldn't touch anything with that guy's endorsement. That being said, I wouldn't buy a gerber knife for anything other than a disposable $20 pocket knife for work. Sadly they just aren't what they used to be.
X2 not a fan of anything made by Gerber

Hey OP. What are you using that machete for?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
I read Bear Grylls book on a flight from Japan to the US. When I travel and I am finished with a book I usually leave them on an airport seat for someone else to read. That book went straight in the trash.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 PM

Clearing trail , cutting bait , making camp
Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 PM

All my Gerbers are older knives and fantastic
I wouldn't bend down to pick up a signatured Grylls anything !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Sll my Gerbers are older knives and fantastic
I wouldn't bend down to pick up a signatured Grylls anything !
Cat
The ONLY thing I did like about the BG line is the handles are orange. I think it would be nice when I'm knocking the guts out of some critter after last light.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I cant speak for the Bear G models, but I have a Gerber knife that has 154CM steel and it is very good. That being said I don't buy machetes.
I have a Gator with the 154CM blade, and another with the ATS-34 blade. I can skin and clean an elk with either one without having to touch it up until the job is finished. And they were not expensive knives.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 PM

I wouldn't touch anything with that jack asses endorsement on it
Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 PM

Wife and I were hiking on the snowmobile trail behind our house and I found one of those knives in a nice synthetic sheath.

Wife packs it around when she goes hiking.

I don't have a problem with it.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-02-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I bought a bear grylls machette and survival knife for. Cabelas . At first I liked them , they had nice features and good sheaths . But once I started to put them to work I noticed the blades are totally sub- par . Very soft edge . It's getting harder and harder to find a good blade these days from those big box stores . I will be calling some local knife smiths for my next blade . My review tonight for the treestand .
If you're looking for good sheath type knives, try Bark River knives... These are the guys who made the American made Marble's knives when they were made in the US. Those were fine knives... The ones they make as Bark River Knives are improved. It's also a family run company and have a great warranty policy. Even if you screw the knife up doing something that you shouldn't, they'll fix it...
Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
good to know it looked pretty cheap in the package
Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 AM

I use an original Collins machete for bush whacking .
Cat
Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM

I have a Gerber that the army issued me 4 or 5 years ago. Not your typical $20 knife as it retails for somewhere around $250. With the automatic opener it's restricted to military law enforcement and first responders but it's one of my better knives. Gerber also made the knife many of my EOD friends used as they held up pretty dang good!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have a Gerber that the army issued me 4 or 5 years ago. Not your typical $20 knife as it retails for somewhere around $250. With the automatic opener it's restricted to military law enforcement and first responders but it's one of my better knives. Gerber also made the knife many of my EOD friends used as they held up pretty dang good!
When my older brother got his airborne wings o gave him a Getver Patriot
( Fairborn Sykes variant ) as a gift .
He jumped with that knife and used it for over 20 years and still uses it.
Cat
Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 PM

I'm generally not a fan of Gerber and I despise Bear Grylls I think him and his show are dangerous. BUT, I bought a Gerber Vital and I absolutely love that little thing. It is a vastly better design than the Havalon.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 PM

I'm sure that Mr. Grylls is a great guy and really knows about survival.

However, after watching a few of his shows I've concluded that they're more about stunts than actual survival. Some of the situations that he puts himself in (and the ways in which he extricates himself) are reckless and should only be attempted if you're being chased by a lynch mob.

For that reason, I will not buy products that rely upon his endorsement.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM

Default Gerber Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Have to agree here, I don't have any experience with the BG models, and I am not a fan of the guy either. But my go to hunting knife is a Gerber that I have been using for several years and I really like it.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
X2 not a fan of anything made by Gerber

Hey OP. What are you using that machete for?
That's probably because you have never owned a true Gerber made prior to 1980 or so. Gerber suffered the same fate as many North American sporting goods companies and was bought out, the name kept and all the product making shipped overseas. Gerber's knives of today are a joke compared to the Gerber's of yesterday.
I have a Gerber 525 Presentation hunting knife I will never sell as well as several Gerber Legendary Blades carving knives that are fantastic. My only complaint with them is they are hard to get an edge on but once you do it stays there for a long long time.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
My opinion if you want a good knife that isn't "spaz in the bush" bear grylls crap get a swedish knife. I have a frosts and a morakniv. I've only had to shapin my frosts once thats cause I put a small nick in when dropped it but otherwise I've had it for years and it holds up its edge amazingly. The only down thing about these knives are the handles there for some reason not the greatest and don't know why the conpany doesn't make a better one but the blade will hold its edge. Best of luck.

Last edited by Krado; 05-02-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM

I had the ultimate survival knife from bg and the edge completely folded over cutting some branches and batoning

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When my older brother got his airborne wings o gave him a Getver Patriot
( Fairborn Sykes variant ) as a gift .
He jumped with that knife and used it for over 20 years and still uses it.
Cat
That's awesome! When I got home from Iraq the Chuck Buck, of Buck knives gave me a commemorative edition Buck Vanguard. It is one of my prized possessions from my time in the Army. I wrote the company a letter thanking them for their thoughtfulness and got an actual hand written response from his son CJ Buck thanking me for my service. Not many companies will do that type of thing anymore.

I need to take it out and polish the brass up, she's looking a bit tarnished.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
That's probably because you have never owned a true Gerber made prior to 1980 or so. Gerber suffered the same fate as many North American sporting goods companies and was bought out, the name kept and all the product making shipped overseas. Gerber's knives of today are a joke compared to the Gerber's of yesterday.
I have a Gerber 525 Presentation hunting knife I will never sell as well as several Gerber Legendary Blades carving knives that are fantastic. My only complaint with them is they are hard to get an edge on but once you do it stays there for a long long time.

Jim
That would be correct. The reason I've ever purchased them in the past was their reputation. Not so much anymore. It's too bad
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM

If you buy a Bear Grylls knife you should drink your own urine to remind yourself to never support that dirt bag again.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Ya I bought one too when they first came out. Good for the everyday joe out on a camping trip with his trailer. Back then that was me. Now I know the difference between a run of the mill cheap stainless blade and a well crafted, hard steel blade. Some big names like Gerber seem to have shifted to high volume average quality blades built in China.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 AM

I keep a couple of Gerber's in the hunting pack. The steel isn't so good but who cares? They sharpen up quick, and hide and hair is tough on the best blades. No worries if one gets lots too. Not sure if they are Bear G's.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
If you buy a Bear Grylls knife you should drink your own urine to remind yourself to never support that dirt bag again.
LOL. Got given one and it hasn't come out of the sheath except to cut rope or pry open cans. Don't have the heart to even give it away.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have a Gator with the 154CM blade, and another with the ATS-34 blade. I can skin and clean an elk with either one without having to touch it up until the job is finished. And they were not expensive knives.
While I've always preferred Buck knives to Gerber, I think the Gerbers that are made in the states were and are pretty good knives. Unfortunately the USA made Gerbers seem to have become a staggering minority in their linup in the last few years, they must have been bought out by Johnson Outdoors or something. For that reason alone (well, the Bear Grylls partnership didn't help either) I won't bother with their knives anymore.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:17 PM

I have a Gerber Gator that was given to me as a present in 2002 or 2003, I believe. I'm not sure but imagine it is before shortcuts at the company began. The thing is a terrific knife that I have used to skin and quarter moose, caribou, elk, black bear, and deer without fail. It stays sharp all the way to the end of the job, and then I sharpen it before it gets used on the next animal. No problems.

This winter, I did order a Ron Post "Loveless" drop point that he is working on and hoping will turn out nicely. Those Bark River knives drop points are also very nice IMO.