Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshog View Post
LOL. Got given one and it hasn't come out of the sheath except to cut rope or pry open cans. Don't have the heart to even give it away.
I guess they have one good use.
Giving to someone you don't like.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Bill-K pretty well nailed the antics that take place on the BG show. Why would you expect anything better from anything he endorses?
I have a couple older Gerber gators and they are good quality knives.
BG makes me retch...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Since 1983 it's a Buck or nothing.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Since 1983 it's a Buck or nothing.
I hear ya, since I got my Grohmann my Buck's haven't seen a whole lot of use but I'd never get rid of any of them. And just about any time I notice an abundance of Canadian Tire money floating around my house I go spend it on another Buck. Same thing though, you gotta get the USA made ones.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I hear ya, since I got my Grohmann my Buck's haven't seen a whole lot of use but I'd never get rid of any of them. And just about any time I notice an abundance of Canadian Tire money floating around my house I go spend it on another Buck. Same thing though, you gotta get the USA made ones.
Just stop in at the factory in Post Falls ID and you can buy them right from the source. Plus you can order a few of their more popular products online and customize them for about 20$ then standard prices and they are all made in ID.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Just stop in at the factory in Post Falls ID and you can buy them right from the source. Plus you can order a few of their more popular products online and customize them for about 20$ then standard prices and they are all made in ID.
I thought all the ones stamped "USA" were made in ID? I do think that Buck un-officially makes different grades of knives though, even among the ones stamped "USA". Awhile back I noticed there were extra letters stamped on some of the ones that Wallmart sold, and as a general rule the ones I see in at Crappy Tire often seem to look a fair bit rougher in the fit and finish department that the ones you see at knife and sporting goods stores where they are generally priced higher. I have a couple 110's I got at Crappy tire and a 112 Ranger I payed a bit more for at the Fishin' hole. All are good serviceable knives but while the 110's have some rough polishing marks in the brass, scales that don't line up quite perfectly, rivets that sit a little too proud etc, the 112 as far as I can see is flawless. I noticed on their website a little while back that you could order a custom made 110 or 112 with your choice of blades, bolsters, and scales for about $100 US, pretty tempting

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-05-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I thought all the ones stamped "USA" were made in ID? I do think that Buck un-officially makes different grades of knives though, even among the ones stamped "USA". Awhile back I noticed there were extra letters stamped on some of the ones that Wallmart sold, and as a general rule the ones I see in at Crappy Tire often seem to look a fair bit rougher in the fit and finish department that the ones you see at knife and sporting goods stores where they are generally priced higher. I have a couple 110's I got at Crappy tire and a 112 Ranger I payed a bit more for at the Fishin' hole. All are good serviceable knives but while the 110's have some rough polishing marks in the brass, scales that don't line up quite perfectly, rivets that sit a little too proud etc, the 112 as far as I can see is flawless. I noticed on their website a little while back that you could order a custom made 110 or 112 with your choice of blades, bolsters, and scales for about $100 US, pretty tempting
Yes some of their knives are made in China. Just look for the one's stamped USA or go to the factory. You can tell the difference in fit/finish.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:08 PM

I have a grohman knife really like it. Big box store blades are disposable for the most part
Old 05-07-2016, 07:46 PM

I use to guide fishing up in the NWT and I always had the bear grylls ultimate knife on my belt. not because it was any good but because I didn't care what I put it through because it was always used as a beater knife. for anything that I actually care about the precision on I use my CRKT M16.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 PM

I have a handful of knives and a couple are Gerbers, ,nothing really special,but I did get a katz knife given to me years ago from farmers supply in Winnipeg around 1998 and it's works good.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 PM

A knife (or any other tool) that you use all the time, is better than some 'pretty thing' that you just pull out to impress people.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 AM

I have a bear grylls knife that i use for general cutting/prying/screwdriving around the farm, and it works just fine.
And it's a good reminder that if I ever get too thirsty, I always have options.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:47 PM

I prefer my ka-bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
I have a handful of knives and a couple are Gerbers, ,nothing really special,but I did get a katz knife given to me years ago from farmers supply in Winnipeg around 1998 and it's works good.
These just showed up in Crappy tire, and I gotta say, I think they are the most overpriced knife I've ever seen. They like to print CANADA in big letters all over the box but the blades all say "Japan". Given the astronomical price I would have assumed that the steel must be something exceptional, not really a "steel weenie" but I looked it up anyways and was somewhat surprized that its more or less the equivalent of regular 440 or 420 HC. Those guys must be crazy.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 AM

Get a helle knife
Brakkar,temegami,fjalraven are some of the models available.
For hunting,skinning and many applications they are just great steel
Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM

Bear Grylls is a fool. If you want a good machete at a fair price look at Condor, excellent quality. Mine takes all the abuse I throw at it. Cutting edge cutlery carries them.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

old ones seem to be better
Old 05-26-2016, 09:44 AM

The older Bear Grylls survival knife (the Ultimate), which they still sell, got poor reviews for the blade. But the newer one ("Ultimate Pro" model) gets good reviews. I didn't buy one ONLY because I didn't like the gaudy orange markings on the knife and sheath.

Got this instead:
Ontario Knife Company Blackbird Noir. 154 CM steel
Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 AM

As a bit of a Gerber geek, I have one rule. The knife better be made in Portland, Oregon or I don't buy it. I still carry the original Gator Fixed and I would put that knife up against anything. Definitely interested in the new Gator Premium but I haven't found one yet.

I stay away from the BG line as well. Seems like a bit of a gimmick directed at first time outdoorsmen/women and campers. Cheaply made with low end steel. Definitely some better options out there with other brands. But all in all, I don't have anything bad to say about the Gerber's I own.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Why would you ever buy something featured on a tv show