Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM

Default ***#2 Bear hunt adventure begins***

The first hunt was more than I could have ever asked for! After I allowed the hunt to truly sink in and reflecting on all that I had experienced and learned. I was ready to get back out there and see what has been happening since i left the bait.

When I left the bait with my beautiful bear I freshened up the bait knowing it would not be long until another bear would come bye. I decided to head back in 5 days later. I loaded up the trusty trike and was on my way.

When I got there it was noticeable right away that another bear had been there and my excitement grew again. It's amazing how it can feel like your first bear hunt all over again with each encounter you have. Its always so intriguing to analyze the bait site and guess what size of bear was there.

I grabbed my trail cam card and freshened up the bait again and headed home.

The Beavers are doing good so far and the cage is holding its own. 3 beavers total have been eaten by bears from the cage. (A full report to come on this in a separate thread with video and my thoughts )

When I got home there was lots of pictures of Ravens haha but none of the bear. For some reason the camera stopped taking videos the day before we went in there and didn't even capture us or the bear in the bait......

Feeling disappointed in the camera and knowing a bear had been there my curiosity was killing me lol so i went back in to the bait earlier than usual with a second trail cam to set up as a back up and to pull the cam card again to see if it was working.....And it is I will continue this thread tomorrow with some pics of the latest visitor!! Good night

Last edited by Hugenuge; 05-02-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 AM

Not going to lie, I was going to tell you to trash those cages. I am blown away that they are holding up!! Either way it looks like all is good.

In our stands we have had bears jumping on the top of thick custom cages lag bolted to the tree, I thought the tree was going to fall down!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 AM

After pulling the card from what I thought was the faulty cam I finally had some pics of this allusive bear. Like I said earlier its fun to dream about the giant that could be in there until you see your cam pics and reality sets in haha.

I was thinking that maybe this bear is a pumpkin head only coming in at night and my camera is set on day time photos only....?? And then I figure out that wasn't the case at all, nope the camera is working it was the memory card that was faulty and the bear that is in there, well its a cute one haha.

Smaller bear for sure but I am hoping its a female and if she sticks around could potentially bring in the big boys! Its interesting to look back on my last three years of bear hunting and see how I am maturing in this pursuit. 3 even 2 years ago I would have gearing up and been super excited to hunt this bear but now with a better understanding of how to size up bears and the fact that I have gained some experience. I am quite content with just waiting it out!

I headed back into the bait yesterday with my buddy to see whats going on now and things are starting to heat up..... I will post more on that later when i get everything downloaded and ready!!

To be continued........
Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 AM

Default P.S.

For those of you who use Facebook or Instagram you can follow my adventures there as well at

https://www.facebook.com/BuckBroz/

please like the page to show your support

https://www.instagram.com/hugenugeoutdooradventures/

please follow for more real time updates

Thanks, see you there
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Banned

Good luck on this site. Didn't even see the pics from the last one. Guess I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Round 2
Ding Ding Ding
Hope that bucket head shows up buddy.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
After pulling the card from what I thought was the faulty cam I finally had some pics of this allusive bear. Like I said earlier its fun to dream about the giant that could be in there until you see your cam pics and reality sets in haha.

I was thinking that maybe this bear is a pumpkin head only coming in at night and my camera is set on day time photos only....?? And then I figure out that wasn't the case at all, nope the camera is working it was the memory card that was faulty and the bear that is in there, well its a cute one haha.

Smaller bear for sure but I am hoping its a female and if she sticks around could potentially bring in the big boys! Its interesting to look back on my last three years of bear hunting and see how I am maturing in this pursuit. 3 even 2 years ago I would have gearing up and been super excited to hunt this bear but now with a better understanding of how to size up bears and the fact that I have gained some experience. I am quite content with just waiting it out!

I headed back into the bait yesterday with my buddy to see whats going on now and things are starting to heat up..... I will post more on that later when i get everything downloaded and ready!!

To be continued........
Looks to be a younger boar to me. Short think snout, sows are usually long in the nose. Not a terribly small bear either, similar to the size of the first one you took, 5-5 1/2' bear IMO. Glad to see the beavers being put to good use.

Spruce
Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Good luck on this site. Didn't even see the pics from the last one. Guess I'll have to check it out.
Ya man check it out, I quoted one of your comments in that thread!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Good luck to you on round 2 Nuge. Hoping for the best for ya! Is it just me or does that first pic look like that bear has a set of overly sizes dentures in?? lol
Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Good luck to you on round 2 Nuge. Hoping for the best for ya! Is it just me or does that first pic look like that bear has a set of overly sizes dentures in?? lol
I agree, looks like a mule, hahahaha!

Good luck Nuge, looking forward to watching this one unfold as well! Hope a big old boar comes for a visit
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 PM

Default Update

Sorry for the delay on the thread updates but as you are all aware Fort McMurray is in a state of Emergency. When this fire started I was living and working in Anzac which was the south Emergency meeting point for fort McMurray when they were Evacuated. We saw our little hamlet of a few hundred people welcome 8000 Fort McMurray people who either lost their homes or where in jeopardy of losing them, you could see the panic and desperation on these people which was so heart breaking.

Tuesdays Evening is when people started coming and I have to say its amazing how the community came together to provide the basic needs not only at the Rec center which became the base camp but also people opened their homes to family, friends and strangers to reduce the stress on the center and give people a little more comfort.

People continued to flow in Wednesday and you could see that the 8000 people where there. Gas station, restaurant, grocery store and liquor store had massive lineups, there where people and cars everywhere. Also with the people coming in came massive truck loads of food, water, clothes, Gas, toys, toiletries, cots, blankets, you name it, it was coming in by the truck loads!!! Just amazing to see how fast the response to the needs where coming in.

As trucks where emptying their goods they where filling up with people to take them south where families got split up and ended up in other towns and cities. By wednesday afternoon Anzac turned from safe haven to mediatory Evacuation as well and now the whole community with the 8000 Evacuees had to be relocated as the fire took a drastic change of direction and was heading right for us all.

I packed up the family and we headed south to our home down near Edmonton. On the way down HWY 63/881 there were people who came up the HWY from the south cities with truck loads of fuel, water, and food. They were stationed almost every 20km just incase people needed fuel and to help the hundreds that where already left stranded along both HWY's as a result of running out of gas while fleeing the fire.

This was truly something out of a movie and nothing you could ever imagine having to deal with but I can honestly say the hospitality, reaching hand, courage and love I seen from thousands of people was like heaven came down to earth and an army of angles where released to help everyone. I have never been more proud to be a human being and my faith has been restored into humanity 100%

Now that I am home I have some time to update the latest on the bear baiting up until the fire. After this update I am not sure when ill be able to continue as my bait is up near the fire. As of right now we have no idea when we can go back to our Anzac home and work.

So it was exciting to see that I had another bear in the bait and I was really hoping this bear would lure another bear into the site. I pour fryer grease all over the ground around the barrel and beaver cage in hopes the bears will walk in it and then take that scent out into the bush drawing other bears in. Although there really isnt any proof this works it should by theory and seems to do so.

I went back into my bait Monday And just a behind the scenes note I have a secret spot where i leave my trike so i can conveniently check my baits between home and work. I have done this for a few years never an issue. But now the spot is not a secret any more haha

Looks like a little bear found it and wanted to try out the seat. Thankfully the bear only needed one bite to realize this wasn't bait lol

After loading up the trike I headed into the bait site and when I got there I could not believe what i was seeing! The bait site was destroyed like its never been before. I have had bears mess things up but not to this extent in my experience any way.

As you can see the cage is still holding up pretty decent but the bear did find a week spot in the cage so ill go in with some wire next time and reinforce those spots.

As you could imagine I was super excited to get home and see what the heck happened here. The dreaming began once again of a true giant that might have visited my site and did all this destruction!!!

I got home and checked the trail camera 187 videos wooohoooo lets see lets see haha

Well not the giant i am waiting for but great to see things are heating up and I have another bear at the bait!! here is a little video of them playing around and interacting. Maybe female and male?? or two young males?

https://youtu.be/y6C8dMc69xY

Here is a another video of the bear trashing my barrel, which now has me thinking i need to add a second strap to the bottom which would prevent them from doing this next time. One strap has done the trick over the past 3 season but two will be much better

https://youtu.be/9O2hgkLzcXA

I fixed up the bait and freshened everything. Fixed the beaver cage and decided to move it higher up the tree to see what this might do. Got to love trying experiments its actually a lot of fun and very interesting to see how the bears react.

I got out of there monday and the fire and chaos started tuesday so this bait will be on hold. I do how ever have another bait near Bonnyville and if i find time ill check that bait and keep the updates coming, For now thanks for following and stay tuned.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 PM

Cool videos. Always amazing to see the power these bears have. They don't look all that strong but when you see them man handle stuff, or rip up a tree in a second or two, it's an eye opener.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:13 PM

Default Back at it!

I had some time today to head up near the Bonnyville area where I have my secondary bait site. It was really nice to get out in the woods and enjoy some peace and quite. With the ATV ban I knew this was going to be a good work out to fill the bait as I would have to walk all the bait in haha

Not wanting to be that guy I left the trike at home, unloaded the truck and started hoofing everything in.

With this bait being my secondary site, Fort McMurray being my primary site its been about a week and a half since my hunting partner checked this bait. I had not been back to this bait since the set up when I got the flat tire haha. Up until a week and half ago no bears had been there so I was excited to get in there and see if the action had started.

Sure enough both barrels where tipped over and all the bait was gone I figured bears had done this and I could not wait to check the cam . So I freshened up the bait made some adjustments and headed out.

I brought my laptop with me so I could down load the pics right at location to confirm that bears where actually in there eating the bait and not something else. I find it beneficial to be able to look at photo's before you leave because then you can make adjustments to the camera if needed. When I popped the card in the computer I was happy to see a couple bears have been visiting the site with in the last couple days

Little black bear and a decent brown color phased bear. Unfortunately these where the only pics i got because the camera was tilted a little to high and didn't capture the barrel, but I made the adjustments to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Now that I confirmed bears where in there i went back into the bait to do more investigating of the general area just to see what kind of sign I could find. And here is what i found.

Looks like they are eating good haha. Now that I am around the Edmonton area for a unknown amount of time this site will become my primary site until i get the all clear to go back to our home in Anzac and ill be keeping a close eye on this bait as it heats up!!

to be continued...

Side note I am wondering how man out there are effected by the ATV ban and not baiting this spring as a result of that?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM

A decent colour phase??!!
Nuge man, that's a big bear. He would be my next target if I were you. I've shot some big bears and I'd be after him!!

Good luck man
Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
A decent colour phase??!!
Nuge man, that's a big bear. He would be my next target if I were you. I've shot some big bears and I'd be after him!!

Good luck man
Well thats some great news right there I really do have a hard time judging these things haha but ill take your word on it and i am on him!!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Well thats some great news right there I really do have a hard time judging these things haha but ill take your word on it and i am on him!!
Here's a couple ways I can tell size
-crease in the forehead
-ears are small and on the side of his head
-he doesn't have a neck
-the hair around his claws is long, looks course and can see separation in the
"Toes "
- and just the size difference compared to the smaller bear.

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet a 19-20" skull

How high up is the bucket? That's another give away if you have a measurement.

Last edited by finner-duramax; 05-10-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
Here's a couple ways I can tell size
-crease in the forehead
-ears are small and on the side of his head
-he doesn't have a neck
-the hair around his claws is long, looks course and can see separation in the
"Toes "
- and just the size difference compared to the smaller bear.

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet a 19-20" skull

How high up is the bucket? That's another give away if you have a measurement.
x2. That's a good bear!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
x2. That's a good bear!
X3.....if he shows up, I would be planning to send an arrow his way!

The neck alone (or lack there of) on this guy says a lot.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 AM

Come on nuge, look at the head placement of the bears on both pics.

BIG BEAR
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

Your posts are great Nuge, as other have said the color phase is certainly worth looking at.. You just never know until you see them in person but he looks really good. All the best !
Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
x2. That's a good bear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
X3.....if he shows up, I would be planning to send an arrow his way!

The neck alone (or lack there of) on this guy says a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Come on nuge, look at the head placement of the bears on both pics.

BIG BEAR
Right on guys your confirmation has me super excited!!
I am not quick to judge a bear based on trail cam photos because I have thought other bears where big on trail cam only be realize once on the ground not so big at all lol

Plus this is the only look I have at the big guy at least until i check the camera again. But ill take your guys word for it and start to dream about the hunt
Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Your posts are great Nuge, as other have said the color phase is certainly worth looking at.. You just never know until you see them in person but he looks really good. All the best !
Right on Leafy thanks for the kind words and I agree with you 100% definitely worth a good look.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:47 PM

A little less hectic schedule for you thanks to the fires might be a blessing in disguise. Go get that guy!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:10 PM

That Brown phase is a PIG! You will be very happy if you get to stick this one with an arrow. Good luck, and I am anxiously awaiting the final results.

BW
Old 05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

How high off the ground is that bucket?

That looks like a 7' bear.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
How high off the ground is that bucket?

That looks like a 7' bear.
I plan to head there on friday to check the bait, I will measure the high of that bucket and let you know
Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Good luck. Beauty of a colour and a size that it would be taken regardless of colour
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Great pics & script. Good luck on the quest. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Hope you can get a chance at that colored bear Nuge,he looks to be a great sized bear. Me and a buddy are north of whitecourt for our first day,saw 6 bears,1 sow with 3 yearling Cubs and two smaller ones so far. Found some huge grizzly tracks we followed on a road for 4.5km but no signs of it. Good luck,enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 AM

Default Another visit to the site

As you could imagine I have been going crazy all week waiting till i had my chance to get back up to the bait after seeing and hearing I have a Stud of a bear hitting it. I found myself a temporary job around edmonton while i am waiting to get the call back to my Fort McMurray job, so I loaded the truck up this morning and headed straight out from work today at 5pm.

I got to my bait location around 7:30 so not to bad of a drive. I forgot just how much i enjoyed this area. This area is where I shot my first whitetail buck and my first bear. It holds a lot of great memories and I am enjoying being back around. I couldn't do that much over the past 3 years working in Fort Mcmurray. This truly is another one of those great spots and I am glad to be back.

Here is a little glimpse of the area I am baiting

So my plan when I got there was to sneak in with my rifle and cameras rolling in hopes that I might catch the big guy on the bait and drop him right there. So i gear up still in my work clothes haha and headed into the bait. Once I got close enough I had to take off my work boots because they were just way to loud of an approach. Big clown shoes

So I quietly snuck in there and as i was approaching I could see that our signs on the path where ripped down from the trees.

This obviously added to the thrill and my heart started pounding, oh man he's going to be in there!! So I made the final approach only to see that there was no one in the bait. Although the bait had been hit pretty good and half of each barrel was empty so I figured WOW he's enjoying himself in here. haha. At least it certainly look like it was with all the scat that now in the bait.

There was literally 10 piles in and around the site haha

So i pulled the trail cam card out and ran back to the truck to see all the new photos of the bear I am calling "Leroy Brown" biggest bear in the whole dam town. Well for me any ways.

When I got to the truck i brought my laptop with me and popped the card in..... Perfect 147 photos this is going to be good. And it was good but not what i was expecting that for sure but not bad either. The mess and all the pictures where made from a momma and her two little cubs. HAHA

Kinda neat I have never had a mom with cubs at my baits before. So I don't have a lot of experience in judging these little ones. Are they this year or last year cubs my guess is this year...? But I will leave that to you mature bear hunters to fill me in. Also whats your thoughts on a mom and cubs at your bait? Is it a good thing, a bad thing, does it make you mad because your feeding bears your can't shoot lol

So after seeing what I was dealing with I went back in extra cautiously to fill the barrels. Something about a momma and cubs makes it a little more intense going into the bait knowing their around.

Once I got out of there and in to some cell reception I called my baiting partner to tell him the updates on our site. He's always excited to hear that we have bears hitting the site as its his first year hunting bears. We were discussing the need for more bait, especially beavers because 75% of my bait was abounded in Fort McMurray when I were evacuated. He had told me might have a line on some beavers to take with us on sunday when we go back up but wasn't 100% sure.

I Hung up the phone with him and not even two minuted later i am driving and see this black small animal crossing the road, i am wondering to myself what the heck is that. I slow down and as i approach the thing runs back off into the grass. My first thought was BEAVER!! so I went further down the road and turned around to see if i could catch it crossing again.

Sure enough when Im heading back east there he was in the middle of the west down lane and its a BEAVER. so i slow donw to get a good look and as I am doing so I then look up to the oncoming traffic and what do you know here comes a semi truck. So right away i think hmmmm Im just going to wait and see what happens here..... Well would'nt you know it the semi smack this beaver right in the middle and when the truck passes over it there lays a dead perfectly in tacked beaver with only some head damage!!!

I could not believe it and thought are you kidding me right now did this just seriously happen.

ya it sure did and I thanked God, grabbed that thing off the road and trough it in the back of my truck. Called my partner and we had a good old laugh over that one. Now I have a beaver for sunday haha to awesome.

Now its 12:20 am and I have to be up again for work so thats it for this adventure. Stay tuned as I head back up this sunday in hopes Leroy Brown is back in town!!