Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 AM

That beaver story is priceless!!!!
Never a bad day in the bush buddy!!!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Great story. I sure hope you nail Leroy!

BW
Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 PM

Don't be this guy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Update on leroy Brown

It has been asked a few times how high the bucket is placed where Leroy Brown was reaching up to.

I can tell you this when I went to the bait last night I stood under that bucket and reached as high as I could 5'11" plus reach and i could just touch the bottom of the bucket. So when I got home I measured how high my reach was and I was surprised by the measurement. from ground to bottom of bucket is 7'6" !!!

So I am guessing this bear is right around the 6'6" mark.....Thoughts?

Another interesting development is I starting baiting this spot back in the spring of 2014 and had a brown phase bear show up back then. I went though the pictures tonight and I have a similar shot of that bear compared to Leroy Brown and I am thinking this could be the same bear?? Check out the pictures and give your thoughts.

I am thinking its highly possible this is the same bear thats been hanging around this area and growing nicely while i was gone.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 PM

I'd have to agree with the assumption it's the same bear!

Good luck hope he comes back!!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:42 PM

Good luck Nuge, glad you are back hunting.
U got me thinking of going back to camp to give my bait another try.

TBark
Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 AM

Default Good Luck

Hey Nuge good luck pal... Awesome thread love the pics & play by play. Living this years spings bear hunt through you...just like being there. Another colour phase on the horizon eh. Lay into him
Old 05-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Good luck Nuge, glad you are back hunting.
U got me thinking of going back to camp to give my bait another try.

TBark
Right on buddy get out there and have some!!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Hey Nuge good luck pal... Awesome thread love the pics & play by play. Living this years spings bear hunt through you...just like being there. Another colour phase on the horizon eh. Lay into him
Thanks Popcan! Glad I can entertain you this spring cause I sure know I get lots from you over the winter lol. I head up this afternoon for another look so hopefully he's ben back and I can make it happen
Old 05-15-2016, 01:03 PM

My guess is that they're the same bear. As for length my guess is 7 ft. He is a tank!

BW
Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Banned

Different bear. The big guy is a mature boar. He wouldn't have looked too much different last year. I wouldn't say he's "brown phase" but he has that brown undercoat. My last years bear did as well. The little guy is a brown phase though.

He's big though. Go get him!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Different bear. The big guy is a mature boar. He wouldn't have looked too much different last year. I wouldn't say he's "brown phase" but he has that brown undercoat. My last years bear did as well. The little guy is a brown phase though.

He's big though. Go get him!
Thanks for your opinion good to hear what everyone thinks. Just to be clear the first pic is from 2014 the second from 2016 so that would be two years growth. Have a look at the nose on each bear it has the same color and marking.....Just a thought hard to say for sure
Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Don't be this guy....

I must admit that in the last 3 years I have done that not once, but twice. Damn, you feel like an idiot!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 PM

that's a good lookin bear! nice set up
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Leroy brown is back in bait town !!

I had a chance to head back up to the bait on sunday after church and was really excited to get up there and see if just maybe Leroy Brown was back in bait town. My partner came with me this time and we were both feeling very hopeful.

On the way up we notice am abnormal amount of deer on the move during the mid afternoon so that made for a nice ride up. I think we counted around 10 total.

Once we got there we decided to go in quite with gun loaded and camera rolling just incase we might stumble upon Leroy or another worthy bear! As we approached I could see a black shape on the bait and new right away it was a bear. We moved in a little more and could see it was just a little bear so I knew the cubs where in there. After checking the trail camera when we got home later that day I could see that the bears heard us coming and all looked up together to see what was going on.

This is a still picture from the trail cam video in the video you could hear us coming down the road in the truck and then they look up all at once.

As I mentioned we check the trail camera at home after we got back from this visit to the bait because we forgot the laptop to check the card while we were there lol but we remember everything else important to hunt

We decided to sit up in the tree not knowing if Leroy had been back or any other new bears. We knew the mom and cubs where still hanging out as we seen them when we got near but other than that we just wanted to sit in and see what happens.

We only stayed from 5-7pm as we had to get back at a decent time for work the next morning. So we left without seeing much. Ill be honest i wasn't positive about Leroy being back because when I pulled the card there was only 36 videos which I contributed those to the mom and cubs! As well the the bait seem barley touched and the barrels where still upright.

Well I love when I am wrong haha because once i got home not only was Leroy Brown back but he brought a friend as well!

Again this is still photos from video clips and I can tell you the videos are awesome to see these two hanging out. My buddy with way more bear knowledge and experience then me says the black bear is even bigger than Leroy?? What do you all think??

I can hardly wait to get back out there friday night after work. I have the whole long weekend off and permission from wifey to go get that bear no matter how long it takes

So hang in there I hope to end this story this weekend

P.S.

My partner decided after I told him that there was another big black bear in there and Leroy that he was going to head back the next day for a solo hunt which was yesterday. He headed up after noon got into the bait around 4 and then all the sudden he sees a light color phase bear.

Thinking it was Leroy and knowing he was mine, he sat there analyzing this bear when all the sudden it click for him. "thats not Leroy this bear is smaller and lighter, i think this bear is blonde" haha he's new to bear hunting only sooting his first earlier this spring with a rifle and now going after his first with a bow. He decides I am going to arrow this bear if he gives me a chance.

Well sure enough after some patience the bear gives him a perfect broad side shot and he lets his arrow fly for the first time on an animal and puts down his first bear with a bow and his first bow kill ever!! Congrats David excellent bear for your first with a bow!!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Good to hear he's back! The other black looks to be a shooter as well. Have to see other pics to see if he's a bore as well or early rut?!?

Any pics of the head of Leroy?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 PM

Awesome Nuge, hopefully he shows up this coming weekend and you can get a shot!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 PM

Good luck with Leroy and congrats to your friend on his first bow kill! I really enjoy your threads Huge. I'm learning alot from them. Thanks and keep them up.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 AM

cool and fun thread!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Keep'em coming there, awesome thread, first great read in a long time here, you got a talent for sure, your perseverance will pay off.

The black bear is bigger than the brown one but the brown phase one is a beauty...you got some hard decisions there

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM

Lovin this thread!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM

It just keeps getting better with every read of this thread!

Congrats to your bud!

I hope you connect on Leroy soon. That other bear is a tank as well!

BW
Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 AM

Those bears are both hogs....Maybe it's Just me, but I wouldn't sit and bail out of the stand early. Would suck if you bumped those bears and they never came back. Sometimes it pays off to stay home.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Those bears are both hogs....Maybe it's Just me, but I wouldn't sit and bail out of the stand early. Would suck if you bumped those bears and they never came back. Sometimes it pays off to stay home.
This. Bumping often mean bu-bye. Put a week of food and go about 4 days in. Come on Nuge get that puppy.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM

I would say that the black one is a sow, 2 big boars wouldn't be hanging out together like that. They are very protective over their food. I would also say she's smaller but not by much. Check out the size of each of their necks, Leroys is thick and short, hers is long with not much meat.

Just my opinion
Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Haha I love the nickname Leroy. Makes me think of Leeroooooy Jennnkins!
If they're at the barrel on the last day when you show up, you just may have to Leeroy Jenkins it in there with guns a-blazing
Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Banned

That big brownish black is a different bear than that chocolate with the black at the bait. The blackish brown one is the biggest.

Weve had over 20 different Bears at a bait in a 2 weeks period. You never know what's going to show up.

Rut is coming up too, should be some new real big boys moving around soon.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 PM

Default Back to the bait before the hunt!

My work week is now over and the plan with 3 days off is to hunt this bait and hunt it hard! I headed back up to the bait yesterday right after work. I got there around 7:45pm filled the baits, I had put a beaver in the bait the previous time and that was totally gone along with lots of the popcorn and dog food so it looks like they are making regular rounds to the bait.

I pulled the card and headed home dreaming of what the weekend could bring when I got home I was very excited to see the card because when I pulled it, it said it was FULL!! how can a 16G card be full lol oh ya I know RAVENS usually but not this time. I actually unknowingly used the camera card I last used to film my wifes cooking episode and didn't realize I hadn't erased the footage haha. SO needless to say I only got 46 videos of bears and it the card became full 2 days before I got there

Man this baiting out of town thing is hard work haha. When you forget something or make a mistake its magnified tremendously compared to where I was baiting between work and home up north before the fires. If I forgot something I could just run home and get back in there 30 mins tops. This bait not so much being 3 hrs from home haha. Need to make a check list

Any ways back to the bears when I checked the trail camera I was delighted to see that I have even more new bears showing up to this bait. I think I have seen at least 9 different bear over the past 7-10 days. Here are some of the photos

I am very surprised to see how many color phases are in this area and hitting my bait. If my observations are correct there has been two blondes one my friend shot and one showed up the day after he shot his. Leroy brown and potentially another brown color phase if this latest brown one is not Leroy. Hard to say on that one.

All these bears coming in is going to make sitting in on this bait over the weekend very suspenseful because I am not going to know what or when a bear will come in. I am finding the patterns of these bears heading in to late may to be very different then bears in the early season where they seem to be very patternable due to their sol reliance on the bait as a food source. Lots of green in the woods now so the bait is not their primary source any more.

One thing I know for sure is the misquotes are in full force and I could hardly breath in there while filling the bait. For any one else that know what I am talking about I want to pass on a little miracle worker called the Thermocell!!

This thing truly works and I am not even sure how people can hunt in thick bush where the misquotes are out for your blood by the pint with out it. lol once you turn it on and it burns those pesky bugs are gone. You might get one or two that make in past the forcefield but trust me you will enjoy the hunt way more. The burning scent has yet to cause me any issues with having bears come in, just in case your thinking that.

Any ways friends its getting late and i plan to head up to the bait tomorrow for a good sit so hang in there I hope to end this story tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 AM

Waiting with "baited breath"
Ok groan!

Go get Leroy, Paul!!!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage_logan View Post
Awesome Nuge, hopefully he shows up this coming weekend and you can get a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
Good luck with Leroy and congrats to your friend on his first bow kill! I really enjoy your threads Huge. I'm learning alot from them. Thanks and keep them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylight View Post
cool and fun thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Keep'em coming there, awesome thread, first great read in a long time here, you got a talent for sure, your perseverance will pay off.

The black bear is bigger than the brown one but the brown phase one is a beauty...you got some hard decisions there
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadfieldpoint View Post
Lovin this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
It just keeps getting better with every read of this thread!

Congrats to your bud!

I hope you connect on Leroy soon. That other bear is a tank as well!

BW
Thanks folks, glad your enjoying the adventure so far! Im heading out in an hour here!! Stay stunned........