Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
I would say that the black one is a sow, 2 big boars wouldn't be hanging out together like that. They are very protective over their food. I would also say she's smaller but not by much. Check out the size of each of their necks, Leroys is thick and short, hers is long with not much meat.

Just my opinion
Thanks for your perspective its great to hear everyones input! I have had a lot of issues with this camera haha between my partner setting it up to high and me not using a clear memory card. Its been a hit or miss for capturing good evidence of these bears and any patterns they might have. lol
Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks for these threads nuge. Absolutely love following them.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Default last nights sit

I headed out of town yesterday around 12pm, it was raining all there way there but I was determined to get to my spot and sit in no matter what. I felt the rain would let up and possibly makes for a perfect opportunity.

I got into the tree around 4 and began the wait. Still raining it was a slow start to the evening but I was enjoying it non the less. The squirrels where going crazy chasing each other every where as i think its their mating season. At least one of them was trying his hardest to mount this other one haha

Finally the rain stopped and the bush started coming alive, bird chirping the wind was at a stand still but my scent still carrying in the right direction. Then all the sudden i see a dark figure coming in from behind the bait. A little black bear made its way in and entertained me for a couple hours. Got some decent footage and then the bear left.

I knew this was a good sign and felt it was going to the beginning to a great night. I waited with excitement in the hopes of seeing Leroy in the flesh. Then all the sudden at 8:40 straight out east from me heading south to the bait there he was in all his magnificence. Leroy Brown making his way in to bait town!!

My heart was racing i got all my camera gear turned on and then Leroy went in behind some bush on his way to the bait. He was no 20 yards to the shooting lane and he stops. All the sudden he run off crashing through the trees.....

I couldn't understand what happened, i had noticed a couple squirrels can near him and thought did they spook him? I waited till dark in confusion wondering what had happened. When I got to my truck I checked the wind again and sure enough it was blowing to the SE right in the direction where Leroy stopped and ran off. He winded me

Well I guess thats how it goes sometimes. You go in with the wind in your favor and then it turns all the sudden. But I have tonight and I am heading there right now to see if I might be able to encounter him again. The wind is currently in my favor and lets hope it stays that way.

Stay tuned..........
Old 05-22-2016, 03:17 PM

Wind in your favor. Bear still hungry. Let the back slapping begin!
Old 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Good luck Nuge! Hope you close the deal tonight and can't wait to hear about it. Really like following your threads.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Forget the bow. If you ever get another glimpse at him roll him with the rifle.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
This
Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 PM

There's enough season yet that I wouldn't hang up the bow if I were in your shoes.....whatever makes you happy, but there's more to the hunt than just the kill.....if you want him with a bow, it'll happen and when it does it will be that much sweeter. I've gone that way, and my experience was less than fulfilling to shoot something with a gun that I truly wanted to get with a bow. Either way, good luck!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbear View Post
Good luck Nuge! Hope you close the deal tonight and can't wait to hear about it. Really like following your threads.
^^^^this

Go get em!

BW
Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM

On the edge of my seat. Can't wait to see how your night goes. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Default Good morning

Sorry to keep you waiting! Went in for another sit last night and it was the same conditions, raining all the way to the bait location then stopping before I headed in. There is something refreshing about being in the woods right after a good rain. Its like time stands still and your one with the wild.

I got into the bait around 6:30 settled in and could not wait to see what the night would bring. I shot a BowTech Assassin and this Asassin was ready to strike!!

7:30 I had my first visitor. The little blackie was back. He kept me entertained again for another hour. Leaving the bait site around 8:30 as if he knew his time was over and he better make way for Leroy to come in and get his!

After that bear left the bait I was on the edge of my seat watching waiting and with every noise my heart raced....... The wind stayed in my favor this night and it seemed i had the perfect opportunity. But as hunting goes Leroy forgot to read the script and I never did see that big fella.

I left feeling positive tho. I can hardly feel bad about being in the woods no matter the results of the actual hunt. As well I was comforted by the thought that its getting late into the season and the fur is starting to looks shoty at least with this little blackie it does and for me the fur is an important part of the hunt. So if it comes down to it and I have to wait till next year for old Leroy then thats fine with me he's only going to get bigger with time.

But its not over yet I will be going back next saturday for another sit and that maybe the last chance i have unless i can clear my schedule and get out in june. We will have to wait and see what happens. I will most likely head back to the bait thursday to make sure its freshly stalked with all the goodies i dumpster dived for last night in the wee hours as i arrived home haha.

Wish i had better news for you all but I am sure we can all relate the hunt is sometimes a long pursuit, which in the end makes it even more treasurable!!

to be continued.........
Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 AM

This is like watching a mini series on TV, always waiting for the nest episode.

Keep them coming, thanks for taking us along.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Great thread. Giving Popcan a run here Nuge!
-in all due respect to our resident wolf guru!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Anyone following the thread and don't know about his YouTube channel, search HugeNugeOutdoorAdventures. Pretty amazing footage for usually being solo.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM

Thanks Nuge. Very entertaining.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
This is like watching a mini series on TV, always waiting for the nest episode.

Keep them coming, thanks for taking us along.
LOL awesome! glad your enjoying the show
Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Great thread. Giving Popcan a run here Nuge!
-in all due respect to our resident wolf guru!
No one can touch the master! Popcan is the best and always will be the best in my mind
Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Anyone following the thread and don't know about his YouTube channel, search HugeNugeOutdoorAdventures. Pretty amazing footage for usually being solo.
Thanks for the shout out buddy!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Much more rewarding with the bow, anyone can take a chip shot through some trees and hope the bullet hits the right spot.

Keep up the good work nuge!
Keep carrying that bow!!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Much more rewarding with the bow, anyone can take a chip shot through some trees and hope the bullet hits the right spot.

Keep carrying that bow!!
Ya but not on a 20" coloured who doubtfully will be seen again after smelling him.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Saw HugeNuge and Walmart today, was going to get him to sign my chest but we were in different lineups....I wanted to yell out; "why aren't you hunting that giant coloured bear right now!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Ya but not on a 20" coloured who doubtfully will be seen again after smelling him.
To each their own,
I'd be carrying my bow regardless. Could be the first time that bear smelt a human. Also, bears spook from a squirrel jumping around on old dry leafs so something else could have turned the bear around.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Keep carrying that bow!!
Quote:

For me its all about the Adventure and at the end of the day the bow gives myself personally the greatest reward. I am not about to put down the bow to shoot a bear with a rifle just for the sake of a skull that will put me in the record book. For some the record book and seeing their name in it is what drives them to hunt for me thats not part of who I am and my name does not need to be in a record book to feel accomplished as a hunter. Not that pursuing the record is wrong in any way at all Just my thoughts to each their own as long as its all done ethically.

Last edited by Hugenuge; 05-24-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: re-phasing
Old 05-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Saw HugeNuge and Walmart today, was going to get him to sign my chest but we were in different lineups....I wanted to yell out; "why aren't you hunting that giant coloured bear right now!
WHAT!!! noway man?? lol you should have said hi, the signing things ill leave for the real celebs :P haha Yesterday was family day I have a great wife who supports my hunting so need to make sure I respect the healthy balance.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM

Default Heading to the stalk up the bait tomorrow

The season is winding down (for me any ways) and my bait supply is running thin with most of it still being up at our place near Fort mac. Its shaping up for this weekend to be my last weekend to hunt mostly due to time restraints. If I can make time in june ill be sure to get out but its going to be hard.

With that being said I scrambled to make some connection last week with a local slaughter house and got a bunch of slaughter from him for the bait site. I had lots of popcorn left but the bears done seem to be interested in that at this point. I have three bags of dog food left and two buckets of grease which is decent but I really wanted to hit the bait hard this one last time. So what does a guy do when he's desperate, well he dumpster dives haha.

I hit the jack pot with my dive as well ended up with a garbage can of assorted fruit, small bag of meat scraps, box of bananas, and a small bag of assorted pastries!!! But then a huge blessing came my way from one of our great members here! Mr Wildwoods hooked me up large with a truck box full of breads.

Thanks buddy for your generosity!! This is going to help out huge.

So now I was set with more than enough bait to make the bait town bears mainly Mr Leroy Brown very happy. I am going to head in tomorrow after work and drop off the biggest load to date. I am literally throwing everything at these bears in preparation for a good hunt saturday.

From left to right I have two buckets of grease, two buckets of slaughter, 3 bags of bread, last remaining dog food, bag of fruit, box of bananas, small bag of meat scraps and a partridge in a pare tree!!!

I am really excited to get up there tomorrow and see whats been going on this week in bait town and if I have any new visitors. I must say this bear baiting thing is a lot of fun right from collecting bait, to checking cams to siting in on the hunt, It's ADDICTING!!

So stay tuned my friends and ill be reporting back before saturday with the action thats been going on!!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 PM

Right place at the right time yesterday. Good haul!
Go get Leroy!!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Good luck!
I managed to fill my truck box with bread as well! Thanks again wildwoods!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 PM

Default Me vs Leroy this weekend!

Checking the bait was successful on Thursday. I parked the truck up the road snuck in to see if i could catch a bear on the bait. When I got there no bears were to be seen on the bait but the bait site had been destroyed. The barrels where tipped over from the trees they were ratchet strapped to and most of the food was gone. It was a good thing I got there when I did or the bait would have ran dry.

I headed back out to the truck to grab all the bait and when i went out to the road there appear Leroy going across the road 100 yards in front of me!! Unreal encounter such an awesome bear and i got a good look at him!!. Almost like he was aging me on. lol

I loaded up the bait site and like i said I through everything i had at it. I wanted to make sure that i put a good amount in there to see if i could entice him to come in a little more often. As of right now he seems to be coming in twice a day most regular between 6-7am and then again towards the end of the evening. Both times are inside shooting light so I am pumped to get out there this weekend.

I pulled the trail card 126 videos I could not wait to get them home and watch each one to see whats been going on. I have three new bears hitting the bait now all black in color but small in size and Leroy is with a female as well. So that brings the total up to 6 hitting regularly. Here is a little clip of Leroy

https://youtu.be/MdUvyPhor8s

As I see him more and more I know he's the same bear from two years ago and I know there has not been another brown phase bear in the bait. Its been Leroy the whole time. The nose is very distinct on Leroy and every video/photo is of this bear wit this nose. So thats pretty exciting. The original picture i posted of Leroy might have made him look bigger than the following pic because the camera was set about 10 feet closer to the barrel when the original picture was taken on Leroy VS the latest ones.

The nose says it all. And he looks to tower over that barrel in the latest pic!

Now on to the weekend plan of attack. I have to work tomorrow until 3 but I am loading the truck with fifth wheel in haul to head up there right after work with a buddy and sit in for the evening hunt. The plan is to hopefully encounter him tomorrow night but if not Ill be staying the night in the fifth wheel this was i can wake up bright and early and be in there before sunrise sunday morning. He has been visiting most often in the morning hours so I really think this plan is going to give me a good chance at Leroy

This weekend its ME vs Leory winner takes all for this season!!

Thanks for following along the adventure so far and for all the encouragement and support. As stated earlier this really does look like the last time ill get out for the season so I am praying it all comes together........Stay tuned!!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:55 PM

That's a great pic. Kinda like a UFC fight card lol. You'll get him bud
Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 AM

Good luck budd!
Be patient, and scent down as best as possible!
I'm stuck at work until the 7th, so I'll be watching this thread for updates!
Let some fletching fly!!