Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Where do you shoot a Grizzly

A couple of scenarios ...

# 1----Hunting Grizzly ..... Is there a min calibre and or cartridge you feel comfortable with ... What ammo works best ? .270 win or .388 win mag , premium bullet or just off the shelf

#2----- Stopping a grizzly ... now where do you aim ?? and what cartridge is a min and what's the best bullet selection in this scenario

Last edited by Rio56; 05-25-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM

Most people I know that hunt them on the BC coast use .338 and up. .375 is popular. That being said my BC hunting partner is out chasing them this spring with his bow.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM

bigger kauna's than me ... good for him
Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post

#2----- Stopping a grizzly ... now where do you aim ?? and what cartridge is a min and what's the best bullet selection in this scenario
Caliber is not near as important in killing a grizzly instantly in the case of an aggressive charge. A shot In the head or spine if you want them down instantly. Shoot them in the chest , heart, lungs, break a shoulder they generally are still mobile and have time to get to you and chew on you, it only takes a second for them to fatally injure/kill you. Accurate and precise shooting during a grizzly charge is more important than what caliber your using. Id rather have the presence of mind and ability to put a .243 slug into a grizzlies brain and kill it instantly than wound it in the chest with a .338 mag and have it chew on me for a few seconds before it dies. If you can hit it in the head with a 338 even better but the idea is to have the composure to be able to hit it in those places that disable it instantly regardless whether your using an elephant gun or a deer rifle.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
A couple of scenarios ...

# 1----Hunting Grizzly ..... Is there a min calibre and or cartridge you feel comfortable with ... What ammo works best ? .270 win or .388 win mag , premium bullet or just off the shelf

There are possibly a million answer to this, where are you planning to hunt Grizzly?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM

Stopping a grizz, see polar bear thread lol. I would have to try for a head shot first if in that situation.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 PM

Your going to be lucky to hit a charging grizz in the first place unless you have steady nerves. Pretty tuff to pick a small target on a bouncing ball of fur coming at you at Mach 10. Fill your sights with fur and pull.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 PM

My opinion is that more important than size of gun or bullets is sights. a scope in this situation will screw you more times than not. Than again this is just a situation out of many that can happen. All outdoors people be safe, and of course anything can happen.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Banned

Aim for the medulla oblongata.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Aim for the medulla oblongata.
Yeah Rugs...but what if the president of Ecuador isn't wit ya! I'd go for the brain stem
Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Arrow behind the shoulder ! Chargeing grizz I like 12 gauge slug then I would rather not be in that situation being a bowhunter my pepper spray better work
Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 PM

In de Woods.

Grizz
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Caliber is not near as important in killing a grizzly instantly in the case of an aggressive charge. A shot In the head or spine if you want them down instantly. Shoot them in the chest , heart, lungs, break a shoulder they generally are still mobile and have time to get to you and chew on you, it only takes a second for them to fatally injure/kill you. Accurate and precise shooting during a grizzly charge is more important than what caliber your using. Id rather have the presence of mind and ability to put a .243 slug into a grizzlies brain and kill it instantly than wound it in the chest with a .338 mag and have it chew on me for a few seconds before it dies. If you can hit it in the head with a 338 even better but the idea is to have the composure to be able to hit it in those places that disable it instantly regardless whether your using an elephant gun or a deer rifle.
Most important, don't **** your pants while doing the above.

Grizz
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 PM

The way I see it, you stand your ground, let off a few rounds, and walk away from getting charged by a grizz, there's not a man on this forum that could judge you for $h|++|ng your pants.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I would most definitely **** my pants
Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default Where do you shoot a grizzly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

Fill your sights with fur and pull.
This...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Too late I just did thinking about it....thanks!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-26-2016, 07:29 AM

You only get one shot when a grizzly charges you for real. You wait until he's at about 15-20 feet and shoot him in the head.
There's no use shooting before this unless you happen to be packing a double rifle, if you have a bolt you'll never get a second shot off anyway.
I pack a 458 Win mag with open sights while guiding grizzly, one day I'm sure I'll need it 😉
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Your going to be lucky to hit a charging grizz in the first place unless you have steady nerves. Pretty tuff to pick a small target on a bouncing ball of fur coming at you at Mach 10. Fill your sights with fur and pull.
It can be done, Practice shooting a bouncing tennis ball.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 AM

I shot my grizzly at about 30 yards. He was above me and coming straight at me, the bullet struck the throat and ended up along the spine at the rear hip. The bear stopped and bit at his hip where the bullet stopped , and the second shot broke both front shoulders, which caused him to tumble down the slope.

Quote:
Fill your sights with fur and pull.
Probably the best way to end up dead or mauled.

Quote:
All the posts above highlight how you get 1 shot, how you HAVE to hit it in the head, how it'll live for enough time to kill you, etc.
The grizzly that I shot was not hit in the head, but the shot did stop it from reaching me.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM

Hunting a grizz: Never done it. I read somewhere a long while ago that the most popular cartridge for guides backing up clients in Alaska was a 338WM. More of the purpose of that would be to 'stop' a bear though. Heart/lung, I'm gonna say anything 300wm and up would be more than adequate. Thick skulls and lots of flesh though, I'd definitely be using some sort of controlled expansion bullet if I had the choice.

Stopping a grizz: Zero question, bear spray.

All the posts above highlight how you get 1 shot, how you HAVE to hit it in the head, how it'll live for enough time to kill you, etc.

Bear spray. Instantly stops a charge, huge area of effect, aiming becomes much less important.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM

Once worked with a girl up north who had a grizzly charge her. Couldn't catch it in the scope so she waited until she had a sure shot at point blank, shot it at 10', dropped at her feet. Said she was surreally calm during it, but couldn't stand up after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
Hunting a grizz: Never done it. I read somewhere a long while ago that the most popular cartridge for guides backing up clients in Alaska was a 338WM. More of the purpose of that would be to 'stop' a bear though. Heart/lung, I'm gonna say anything 300wm and up would be more than adequate. Thick skulls and lots of flesh though, I'd definitely be using some sort of controlled expansion bullet if I had the choice.

Stopping a grizz: Zero question, bear spray.

Bear spray. Instantly stops a charge, huge area of effect, aiming becomes much less important.
Police are trained to fight their way through a chemical attack. What's to say a griz won't? Especially being amped up first. Apparently ammonia is not much of a deterrent to an interested bear, so their tolerances are quite a bit higher than mine.

Likely you will have shot it into the wind, so you would be trading lethal force for some atomized hot sauce which will also be coming back at you.

Each to their own. I would not be transitioning at that time.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You only get one shot when a grizzly charges you for real. You wait until he's at about 15-20 feet and shoot him in the head.
There's no use shooting before this unless you happen to be packing a double rifle, if you have a bolt you'll never get a second shot off anyway.
I pack a 458 Win mag with open sights while guiding grizzly, one day I'm sure I'll need it 😉
Unless you shoot a Blaser rifel and then you got time for a second shot lol ........
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Unless you shoot a Blaser rifel and then you got time for a second shot lol ........
Right......

You and that god dam Blaser !!! lol
Old 05-26-2016, 04:39 PM

It seems to get the job done doesn't it lol And seriously it will shoot faster than any other bolt action that I know of
Old 05-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I shot my grizzly at about 30 yards. He was above me and coming straight at me, the bullet struck the throat and ended up along the spine at the rear hip. The bear stopped and bit at his hip where the bullet stopped , and the second shot broke both front shoulders, which caused him to tumble down the slope.

Probably the best way to end up dead or mauled.

The grizzly that I shot was not hit in the head, but the shot did stop it from reaching me.
good stuff ... experience and not hearsay... so elkhunter ... would you say the shoulder shot and break it down quick would be the best hunting shot as well ... or start with the heart lung shot ?
Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 PM

I shot my Grizz at 18 steps faceing angled towards me. hit it just in front of one should and came out mid bear on the other side. It rolled around and I hit it one more time mid body but it did not need it at all. Dead within 30 sec. Shot it with a 375 and 250 gr bullet.
Grizz really are not that tough. No tougher than a black bear. If you hit them right they will not go far
Old 05-26-2016, 06:09 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
good stuff ... experience and not hearsay... so elkhunter ... would you say the shoulder shot and break it down quick would be the best hunting shot as well ... or start with the heart lung shot ?
My experience is only one grizzly, but that is one grizzly more than most people that are giving their opinion. I can't help but laugh when I see people with their magazine extensions on shotguns for protection against bears. If the bear is charging you, the odds are that you will get one aimed shot to stop the charge, perhaps two if you are lucky, so having five or six more rounds than that, are likely not going to be of any value. My go to big game shot will likely always be a heart/lung shot, and I would do the same on any bear that I believe to be unaware of my presence, or if I don't believe that the load that I am using will reliably break both shoulders. If the bear is close and aware of me, I would likely try to either break the bear down, or to disable it with the first shot.