Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM

The first shot would be to break both front shoulders .That means you need a big cal... 338 -375 mag This way he is not going to run in the deep bush or run towards you . Next shot will be the kill shot .
Old 05-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My experience is only one grizzly, but that is one grizzly more than most people that are giving their opinion. I can't help but laugh when I see people with their magazine extensions on shotguns for protection against bears. If the bear is charging you, the odds are that you will get one aimed shot to stop the charge, perhaps two if you are lucky, so having five or six more rounds than that, are likely not going to be of any value. My go to big game shot will likely always be a heart/lung shot, and I would do the same on any bear that I believe to be unaware of my presence, or if I don't believe that the load that I am using will reliably break both shoulders. If the bear is close and aware of me, I would likely try to either break the bear down, or to disable it with the first shot.
yups ...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The first shot would be to break both front shoulders .That means you need a big cal... 338 -375 mag This way he is not going to run in the deep bush or run towards you . Next shot will be the kill shot .
2 hunting partners ALWAYS said this .....
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM

I tell my grizzly hunters to shoot the bear through the shoulders if the bear is standing broad side. A 300 win mag on up will blow any grizzly's shoulders apart and push bone into their lungs.

If a bear does decide to really charge you, you will only get one shot. Now I've never had a grizzly truly charge, although I did have to put one down because he was being stupid, and was going to end up hurting somebody. I shot that bear in the head at 15 yards and he never moved.
Now I had a black bear charge, and he came fast. I shot him from the hip at 7-8 feet and it was bull chit luck. I never had a chance to even shoulder my rifle let alone get off another shot.

My suggestion is make sure you kill bears on the first shot when you have the chance, and just because they drop doesn't mean you shouldn't put another one in him.

Dead bears are the ones that hurt people
Old 05-26-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It seems to get the job done doesn't it lol And seriously it will shoot faster than any other bolt action that I know of
It does and will.

If I could pick any rifle for following up wounded grizz a 470 N.E. double would be just about perfect
Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 PM

I put in for a fall grizz draw in BC this year and if I get it I plan on using my 30-06 with 165 grain barnes tsx or ttsx. Most popular opinion I've heard is to break at least one shoulder, putting bone fragments and whatever else into the heart/lungs.

Hard to say what a guy would do if a bear charged. It's one thing to tell everyone that you'd stay calm and shoot em in the brain, it's another to have a massive grizz coming at you and actually doing it . I like to think I'd just try putting one somewhere between the bottom of the neck and the forehead.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBoy98 View Post
I put in for a fall grizz draw in BC this year and if I get it I plan on using my 30-06 with 165 grain barnes tsx or ttsx. Most popular opinion I've heard is to break at least one shoulder, putting bone fragments and whatever else into the heart/lungs.

Hard to say what a guy would do if a bear charged. It's one thing to tell everyone that you'd stay calm and shoot em in the brain, it's another to have a massive grizz coming at you and actually doing it . I like to think I'd just try putting one somewhere between the bottom of the neck and the forehead.
What area did you apply for ?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Police are trained to fight their way through a chemical attack. What's to say a griz won't? Especially being amped up first. Apparently ammonia is not much of a deterrent to an interested bear, so their tolerances are quite a bit higher than mine.

Likely you will have shot it into the wind, so you would be trading lethal force for some atomized hot sauce which will also be coming back at you.

Each to their own. I would not be transitioning at that time.
After being popped with both the oc spray that the Mounties pack, as well as bear spray, i truly have no idea how somebody could fight through that.
It is the worst experience ever.
I work outdoors, alone, in bear Country every day, and the more I use it, the more I find bear spray to be much more foolproof and effective than anything esle.
That being said, I haven't dealt with grizzlies.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 AM

I find it interesting to see that so many people are uptight and afraid of Grizzlies. Why is that? To kill one is not really much tougher than a big black bear.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What area did you apply for ?
McBride area. Odds are pretty good there and it's close to home
Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting to see that so many people are uptight and afraid of Grizzlies. Why is that? To kill one is not really much tougher than a big black bear.
They're meaner or at least they seem to be in my opinion. No doubt they are very similar to a big black bear in their difficulty to kill. That being said I've never tried to kill a 700-800 pound black bear, and the bone structure is considerably heavier. The biggest grizzly killed in my northern area had a skull measurement of 25 12/16th inches, that's a big head and more then likely some heavy bone structure to go with it.

Plus it's the legend factor as well. There's just something more exciting about having another encounter with "Black Bart" the mythical 9 foot interior grizzly !!!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
not sure how you can say that Nube .. have you shot a grizzly .. I find your comment interesting too...
Old 05-31-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Plus it's the legend factor as well. There's just something more exciting about having another encounter with "Black Bart" the mythical 9 foot interior grizzly !!!
And even if he was only 6 to 7 feet, it sounds better to tell everyone that he was 9 feet.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
not sure how you can say that Nube .. have you shot a grizzly .. I find your comment interesting too...
Yes I have shot one. 18 steps away. And besides that I know multiple people that have killed them and all the same scenerio as well. I really don't think they are much more than a big black bear. Yes they are a big more aggressive but really except for the last couple years in Alberta it was a rare case to hear of a Grizz death in Alberta and you don't hear much of them anywhere else. Mostly all provoked attacks as well. By the sounds of some guys on this forum they think every Grizzly is hiding behind a tree trying to eat you every chance they get. Every Grizz I have been around has had some balls I admit but they are not out chasing you around trying to get a piece of you. A Blackbear with a bullet in the wrong spot can be just as dangerous but stick a hole in the lungs of anything and they are going to die
Old 05-31-2016, 03:40 PM

nubes right. I have shot one and been in on a few also. All one shot kills when hit in the lungs. They all died the same way as the black bear that were shot there. Fall down, get up run a few or so yards fall diwn again and die. Didnt find the hide to be overly thick there. They are not an overly wide animal either ( their fur makes them look wider than they are) my shot was 352 yrds with a 7 mm mag and there bullet went right through and excited also.
A mountain goat has a way stronger will to live.

I have seen 11 grizzly this year, all the ones that knew I was there ran.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I tell my grizzly hunters to shoot the bear through the shoulders if the bear is standing broad side. A 300 win mag on up will blow any grizzly's shoulders apart and push bone into their lungs.
hard to run when you don't have the gear.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
nubes right. I have shot one and been in on a few also. All one shot kills when hit in the lungs. They all died the same way as the black bear that were shot there. Fall down, get up run a few or so yards fall diwn again and die. Didnt find the hide to be overly thick there. They are not an overly wide animal either ( their fur makes them look wider than they are) my shot was 352 yrds with a 7 mm mag and there bullet went right through and excited also.
A mountain goat has a way stronger will to live.

I have seen 11 grizzly this year, all the ones that knew I was there ran.
I really wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with a 270 to be honest.....
Old 05-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I really wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with a 270 to be honest.....

I believe one of the largest killed in Alberta was with a .22.

My first Grizzly was shot with a .270 Ruger M77. Equipped with a top end Weaver scope..LOL.

Taking the .375 this year.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I believe one of the largest killed in Alberta was with a .22.

My first Grizzly was shot with a .270 Ruger M77. Equipped with a top end Weaver scope..LOL.

Taking the .375 this year.
Yes I think you are correct on the past record. I bet that weaver scope worked on a few critters for ya lol
I shot mine with a 375 but didn't need it. My buddy offered his to me for it and I figured may as well or would have been using my 300 WM at the time. A 375 has more knock down power "IF" you need it is all .....
Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes I think you are correct on the past record. I bet that weaver scope worked on a few critters for ya lol
I shot mine with a 375 but didn't need it. My buddy offered his to me for it and I figured may as well or would have been using my 300 WM at the time. A 375 has more knock down power "IF" you need it is all .....
I need the .375...too old to run or ensure I trip my hunting partner..LOL
Old 05-31-2016, 05:26 PM

Well have a good trip and post up a story when you're back. Hope you slam a good one
It was one of the best hunts I have been on for me. Took me 3 weeks of a ton of work. Was basically as hard as any sheep hunt I have been on for so many reasons
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
A couple of scenarios ...

# 1----Hunting Grizzly ..... Is there a min calibre and or cartridge you feel comfortable with ... What ammo works best ? .270 win or .388 win mag , premium bullet or just off the shelf

#2----- Stopping a grizzly ... now where do you aim ?? and what cartridge is a min and what's the best bullet selection in this scenario
1) .45-70 loaded with 70 grains of compressed holy black, and topped with the soft lead 500 grain government round-nose bullet.

2) Aim for the head, then drop your Sharps, Rolling block, or Trapdoor, and finish him off with your Bowie knife and your Colt's Navy revolver, or that new strap model Colt's revolver.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
A couple of scenarios ...

# 1----Hunting Grizzly ..... Is there a min calibre and or cartridge you feel comfortable with ... What ammo works best ? .270 win or .388 win mag , premium bullet or just off the shelf

#2----- Stopping a grizzly ... now where do you aim ?? and what cartridge is a min and what's the best bullet selection in this scenario

#1. Use a rifle you have the confidence in and can shoot well. Bullet placement is more important than caliber/cartridge. That being said I wouldn't want to use anything smaller than a .270. Use premium bullets and heavy for caliber.

#2. Stopping one, nothing will feel to big!!!... Aim for the head, and hope if you miss, the bullet travels into the vitals. Save one shell for yourself haha.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 PM

A wounded black bear crawls away to die. A wounded grizzly is another matter. Shooting one bear doesn't make anyone a expert.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
A wounded black bear crawls away to die. A wounded grizzly is another matter. Shooting one bear doesn't make anyone a expert.
Imo bears do what they do, they are like dogs, even people ..... They all have different personalities,..... but the basic anatomy is the same on both bears, a grizzly is not bullet proof, it does not have any hidden armour. Shoot it in the lungs, heart , spine, brain it is going to die.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And even if he was only 6 to 7 feet, it sounds better to tell everyone that he was 9 feet.
Nobody ever kills that big bear anyway elk ! So I can tell them whatever I want
Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I followed a wounded one, poor shot with an arrow and the we waited overnight to begin the job. It wasn't much fun, unless you are the type that likes being scared crapless for long periods of time. Lots of blood, enough for easy tracking at first. Jumped the bear in a thick patch of willows in the first half hour or so. The bush was so thick you couldn't see it, and thank god it took off in the other direction. The blood trail pretty much dried up after that and we eventually gave up on finding it. Bad deal.

First bear I shot was a double lung, missed shoulder bone completely. Bear ran 100 isn yards off the sand bar into the bush and died. We let it sit overnight before recovering.

Second bear we shot my bud took out the near shoulder and we then hit it with 3 more shots. Just aiming at fur after the first shot as the bear was going crazy spinning in circles. It made it a good 100 plus yards to treeline and died.

Third bear was close range. Shot the bear straight on under the chin as it sat on the creek bank across from me. Flipped it over at the shot and thankfully again it headed in the other direction. It made 100 ish yards before stopping. We left it overnight as well before looking.

Some of the most rewarding and exciting hunts that I have experienced without a doubt. Heres hoping that Alberta hunters get the chance to experience it in this province again.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM

I don't know if this is right or not, but just read an article on bear defence.they say the best shot is through the shoulder. Said the brain spinal cord is to small a target.... Hopefully I don't have to find out. Unless I'm on a hunt for one.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Stopping a grizzly..... hit the grizzly is a start..... As for caliber, In theory the biggest you got with most powder you got,... In reality whatever you have in hand.

HIT THE GRIZZLY,

Many people who have a firearm that get mauled missed the grizzly entirely....

The other thing, is don't hesitate, set your kill radius and if bear is inside, it is dead regardless of what it is doing... waiting for a charge is trouble they can cover 60 feet in under 2 seconds.... they are twice as fast as ben Johnson on Roids.... and he could cover 100 yards in under 10 seconds from a stop.

There are armchair quarterbacks that can argue about head or shoulders and most people mauled that get a shot away MISSED THE GRIZZLY ENTRIRELY ...

SHOOT FOR CENTER OF BROWN TILL IT IS DOWN....
Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Stopping a grizzly..... hit the grizzly is a start..... As for caliber, In theory the biggest you got with most powder you got,... In reality whatever you have in hand.

HIT THE GRIZZLY,

Many people who have a firearm that get mauled missed the grizzly entirely....

The other thing, is don't hesitate, set your kill radius and if bear is inside, it is dead regardless of what it is doing... waiting for a charge is trouble they can cover 60 feet in under 2 seconds.... they are twice as fast as ben Johnson on Roids.... and he could cover 100 yards in under 10 seconds from a stop.

There are armchair quarterbacks that can argue about head or shoulders and most people mauled that get a shot away MISSED THE GRIZZLY ENTRIRELY ...

SHOOT FOR CENTER OF BROWN TILL IT IS DOWN....
Kinda my thought on that as well. I keep hearing all these head shot kinda guys and wonder WT Heck.