Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 AM

Default Lure fishing for trout?

I'm in the market for a lure rod to specifically target trout, and possibly other small predators. I need something to cast small and lightweight lures as my current lure rod is quite big. Mainly used for pike and specimen fishing. I've only ever fly fished for trout, so really I'm a real newbie at trying to have them on the lure.

DA
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
I'm in the market for a lure rod to specifically target trout, and possibly other small predators. I need something to cast small and lightweight lures as my current lure rod is quite big. Mainly used for pike and specimen fishing. I've only ever fly fished for trout, so really I'm a real newbie at trying to have them on the lure.

DA
You're likely going to want an ultralight rod and a small (either 500 or 1000 size reel) to go with it.

First off, how much do you want to spend on this setup?

I don't do a lot of trout fishing, but somehow I have a couple different trout rods.

The one I prefer to use is a 1000 size Shimano Saros on a 6' UL Shimano Sellus rod.

The 'backup' rod is a 500 size Shimano Sahara on a 6' UL Shimano Sojourn, and is a fair bit more budget friendly.

Of the two I would recommend the Sellus, as it has a little more backbone and feels less 'noodly' than the Sojourn, though the Sojourn still does the job fine.

For reels I really like the Sahara for the price, though if you don't want to spend that much a 1000 size Solstace would also be a good choice

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Rods normally in 5' to 6' range but can find longer. Range in price from $20.00 and up to $350.00 or so.

I have quite a few at the $20.00 to $40.00 range and one in the $350.00(gloomis). And would have to say I am very happy(just as happy) with the 20-40's. Pair with 500 size real. Again no need for high end, but that is up to you.

Longer rods will cast a bit farther.

Team up with a descent 4 pound test mono and you are good to go. Or you can go with a superline. I prefer light mono, it will cast or troll spinners quite well.

If fishing flowing water like the Bow where large fish are present go with 1000 series reel and heavier rod/line.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 PM

I'll be going for mid size trout. I want to fish in rivers aswel as lakes.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM

I've got a Rapala Classic trout light action rod that I just love, cost me about $70 if I remember correctly, and I put an ultralight Abu Garcia Cardinal on it for another $50 or so. Spooled it with 6# mono and have nailed many a trout on it

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-10-2014, 05:57 PM

I just recently purchased a Fenwick Eagle GT 7 ft, 4 piece ML rod and a Shimano Sahara FE 1000 reel. I put 10 lb power pro on it and tied 8 lb fluoro line on for a leader. I really like it, will work good if I decide to do some hike in fishing and I prefer the longer length rod and the reel is very smooth and can cast small 1/8 oz lures no problem.

The rod was something like $60 and the reel $90 so it isn't the cheapest setup but not crazy either.