Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2023, 10:07 PM

Smile Questions about licenses

Hello, I have a few questions about the hunting licenses. They seem to make it so much more complicated than it needs to be.
1. As seen in the picture circled in red, what do those letter mean? (In the alberta relm app)
2. From what I gather elk seems to not be a draw in WMU302? Or is elk always a draw everywhere? If it’s not a draw is it just as easy to get a license as it is to get a whitetail license?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2220.jpg (13.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 10:24 PM

Have you consulted the regulations?
Old 10-20-2023, 11:19 PM

The letters are simply the codes that you shouldn’t concern yourself with too much. In your example, the letters probably stand for (top to bottom) Whitetail Supplemental, Strathcona Whitetail, General Deer, Foothills Deer (first letters of the codes highlighted). For elk, you would have GX, where G is for General and X is for elk. What these are good for, you’d have to look in the regulations for any particular zone you want to hunt in.

As for your question for elk, here is an example from the regs based on the 500s:

The black square indicates that this is a season for the “special” licenses only, in other words draws. Where there is no black square, those seasons you can hunt those species with a “general” or “over-the-counter” license. So for example, in WMU 509, the 6-point rule applies for antlered elk, which you can hunt with a bow (unless permitted to hunt with a crossbow, but you probably do not qualify) - because those seasons are in the archery season column - with a general license (and a bow hunting permit) from September 1 to October 31, but need to be drawn for hunting an antlered elk there through November with any legal firearm, as well as a bow (still need a bow permit if hunting with a bow). The same dates apply for hunting an antlerless elk with a bow in the same WMU under the general license, but one needs a draw to hunt the same antlerless elk there from November 1 to December 20 with any legal firearm or a bow.

Now look at your 302 example for antlered elk:

As you can see, there is no draw for antlered elk in the 300s, including WMU 302, because there are no black squares indicating a draw. So in WMU 302, you can hunt elk with a general license using a bow from September 1 to October 24 (need a bow hunting permit as well) and with a any legal firearm from October 25 to November 30.

Now look at the antlerless elk in the same WMU:

They are all on draw for the general (or “gun”) season due to the little black squares in front of the dates. And that is generally the case in Alberta for antlerless elk. However, in some management units, you can hunt them under a general license during the archery season. Such is the case in WMU 302 where there is an archery season for antlerless elk from September 1 to October 24.

It may seem complicated, but you will get a hang of it pretty quickly.

And good luck! If you have questions, don’t be shy to ask, I am sure someone will answer. As the other poster noted, however, read the regs. It is a must and there isn’t that much to read. Then read again and make sure you understand what you are reading. Don’t read Alberta Relm, but either download or get the actual paper booklet at Canadian Tire or elsewhere (have one in the washroom, for example). I know some things appear to be overly complex, but it is just an illusion, really. Once you get it, you are good to go. Sometimes experienced hunters here ask questions that may seem complex to some and quite silly to others. On the next question, things very well could be reversed in regards to those who think it is complex and those who think it is silly. And I will repeat, reading the regulations is key.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Have you consulted the regulations?
When I started hunting, I had no one to consult about anything and it took me a while to figure out the draws and general licenses. It is quite intuitive once you get it, but was not so much prior, haha. And I am not an overly dumb individual, lol. So I figure the op may be in the same boat and give the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:27 PM

Nice answer Fishnguy.
I wasn't trying to be rude with my did you read the regulations question. If someone has read them and has questions I there to help. If your just relying on the internet to tell you something then no sorry can't help. After all regulations change, be up to date and know how to read them. But I read it on the internet won't fly if your doing something wrong.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:36 PM

For sure, freeride. I didn’t mean to implicate that you were rude or anything like that. Hope the op did and will again read the regs and will also become a regular here posting his first legal (lol) and successful hunt with pictures and a write-up.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
When I started hunting, I had no one to consult about anything and it took me a while to figure out the draws and general licenses. It is quite intuitive once you get it, but was not so much prior, haha. And I am not an overly dumb individual, lol. So I figure the op may be in the same boat and give the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah sometimes you gotta read the regs, put them down, get fresh air then go at it again.

Especially if your new to a province etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2023, 12:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The letters are simply the codes that you shouldn’t concern yourself with too much. In your example, the letters probably stand for (top to bottom) Whitetail Supplemental, Strathcona Whitetail, General Deer, Foothills Deer (first letters of the codes highlighted). For elk, you would have GX, where G is for General and X is for elk. What these are good for, you’d have to look in the regulations for any particular zone you want to hunt in.

As for your question for elk, here is an example from the regs based on the 500s:

The black square indicates that this is a season for the “special” licenses only, in other words draws. Where there is no black square, those seasons you can hunt those species with a “general” or “over-the-counter” license. So for example, in WMU 509, the 6-point rule applies for antlered elk, which you can hunt with a bow (unless permitted to hunt with a crossbow, but you probably do not qualify) - because those seasons are in the archery season column - with a general license (and a bow hunting permit) from September 1 to October 31, but need to be drawn for hunting an antlered elk there through November with any legal firearm, as well as a bow (still need a bow permit if hunting with a bow). The same dates apply for hunting an antlerless elk with a bow in the same WMU under the general license, but one needs a draw to hunt the same antlerless elk there from November 1 to December 20 with any legal firearm or a bow.

Now look at your 302 example for antlered elk:

As you can see, there is no draw for antlered elk in the 300s, including WMU 302, because there are no black squares indicating a draw. So in WMU 302, you can hunt elk with a general license using a bow from September 1 to October 24 (need a bow hunting permit as well) and with a any legal firearm from October 25 to November 30.

Now look at the antlerless elk in the same WMU:

They are all on draw for the general (or “gun”) season due to the little black squares in front of the dates. And that is generally the case in Alberta for antlerless elk. However, in some management units, you can hunt them under a general license during the archery season. Such is the case in WMU 302 where there is an archery season for antlerless elk from September 1 to October 24.

It may seem complicated, but you will get a hang of it pretty quickly.

And good luck! If you have questions, don’t be shy to ask, I am sure someone will answer. As the other poster noted, however, read the regs. It is a must and there isn’t that much to read. Then read again and make sure you understand what you are reading. Don’t read Alberta Relm, but either download or get the actual paper booklet at Canadian Tire or elsewhere (have one in the washroom, for example). I know some things appear to be overly complex, but it is just an illusion, really. Once you get it, you are good to go. Sometimes experienced hunters here ask questions that may seem complex to some and quite silly to others. On the next question, things very well could be reversed in regards to those who think it is complex and those who think it is silly. And I will repeat, reading the regulations is key.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much. That clears up a lot of what I was wondering. I’ll keep reading the regulations. It just stumps me when I see a term or something that I’m not sure about and then can’t find any extra information about it. I really appreciate the reply. thanks!
Old 10-21-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
Thank you so much. That clears up a lot of what I was wondering. I’ll keep reading the regulations. It just stumps me when I see a term or something that I’m not sure about and then can’t find any extra information about it. I really appreciate the reply. thanks!
If you have another questions fire away. Read the regs, ask a question like hey i read this, to confirm does it mean...

As a new user we know your actually trying to learn, and I will gladly answer any questions from people like that.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:26 PM

The printed regs are the only way to go.
The app and the online versions are needlessly frustrating.