Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2023, 12:28 PM

Default A Positive Interaction with an Outfitter

So many negative stories out there about outfitters / guides, I figured I’d tell a positive one. I started hunting waterfowl in the Viking area this fall. A mutual friend farms over 5000 acres, so it was not an issue spotting hunts on his land. In any event, when we were out with the landowner putting some birds to sleep, he got a call from a well known local outfitter, who ironically, a good friend of mine guides for. The outfitter and I ended up chatting and we just had a great conversation, at the end of which, he invites my buddy and I to join him for a hunt, as he had some clients cancel at the last minute. I never took him up on the offer, but I was struck by what an excellent interaction I had with him. Super duper nice guy. Anyhow, we sling enough negative around here, I thought I’d sling some positive.

For a change, let’s chime in with positive interactions we’ve had in the field with those who are working for a wage in the hunting industry.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:43 PM

Well said and glad you had a good experience..As in all cases there are good and bad apples in every box ,too bad folks seem to lump them all together.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2023, 12:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We were out in an area years ago and when we got back there was an outfitter glassing the birds etc
We told him where we have found them coming into various fields etc
We gave our phone numbers and went
On our way. I had a mule deer tag and a few days later got a call and he put me on a beauty buck.
Great interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2023, 06:27 PM

Awesome to hear about this! It’s this moment where a thumbs up or like would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2023, 07:14 PM

Arrived at a field to that we had permission to hunt geese at the same time as guide and US hunters who also had permission. We suggested that we hunt together, which was find with guide. US hunters said no way are they hunting with us, so we went to the far end of the field and set up. First couple of flocks cam in nice for them and they got a few birds. Third flock came our way and were just about in range when a couple of the Americans jumped up and shot in the air scaring the birds. From our end of the field we could clearly hear every word as the guide tore them a new one. At end of our hunt the guide made it a point to come over and apologize for his clients. He was a honourable man and gained my respect.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:16 PM

St Paul area. We got to a field we had permission on and an outfitter was setting up. He admitted he did not have permission for the field and offered to pull all his gear out or let us shoot with them. As it was a huge field I pulled him aside and suggested he stay in that location and we go past the mid point and set up, which we did. Both groups had a good shoot.

After all was done the outfitter came over and talked to me on a field they were shooting the next morning and said if we wanted we could set up the same way. We took the invite and all worked well.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Different experience for me. This year I have taken 2 local waterfowl outfitter hunts. This fellow only does Canadians and all the people in the two groups I was in were local (Spruce Grove, Leduc, Edmonton, Ft McMurray).

I wanted to see what this would be like as I can see a time where age and knees / back will impact hauling around and putting out all the decoys. Very good experience and I can see a fit for those that do not have the gear, work shifts or are out of town a lot with short breaks, people with high work loads that just want a day off or like for me in the future.

I was really impressed with the field clean up after --- not just hulls but a walk around looking for wads. Nice touch.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 10-20-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:22 PM

That sounds like a good day in the field!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-21-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
St Paul area. We got to a field we had permission on and an outfitter was setting up. He admitted he did not have permission for the field and offered to pull all his gear out or let us shoot with them. As it was a huge field I pulled him aside and suggested he stay in that location and we go past the mid point and set up, which we did. Both groups had a good shoot.

After all was done the outfitter came over and talked to me on a field they were shooting the next morning and said if we wanted we could set up the same way. We took the invite and all worked well.
Sounds like an awesome guy… very thoughtful of him to offer to let you shoot with him on the field he was trespassing on.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfiveninesix View Post
Sounds like an awesome guy… very thoughtful of him to offer to let you shoot with him on the field he was trespassing on.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:21 PM

I am friends with a ex Waterfowl outfitter and he always said there were many times a field location had two parties with permission. He was very proud of the fact he and his guides either offered to move as he had other places to hunt or he always offered for the other group to join as other outfitters have done.

He seemed to always have good things to say after season on how it went, met new friends(locals) and everyone got along. Too bad only the bad apples seem to get mentioned.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:11 AM

Overall I seem to have had worse experiences with Resident "hunters" than I ever have with any outfitter.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Overall I seem to have had worse experiences with Resident "hunters" than I ever have with any outfitter.
You are not alone in your experience but there is also a higher % of resident hunters which increases your odds of the idiot you cross paths with is more likely to be a resident hunter. Good and bad people in every group

Personally I have not any negative or stand out positive experiences with outfitters. They have just been another hunter in the field some I have a friendly BS with others it’s simply cross paths nod and gone
Old 10-22-2023, 04:53 PM

Sold all my fullbody Canadas and Specks to a pair of guys guiding around Stettler so not in my area. I'd call that a positive!