Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Question for trappers - trapping on private land

Am I allowed to invite a trapper to trap/snare coyotes on my farm? If so, how much land would I need to have for a trapper to consider it being worth his while?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Yes.
Depends how far out of his way it is an how many coyotes there are passing through. Doesn't take much space to hang a few snares.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM

If you don't have dogs or close neighbours with dogs you wouldn't need much land. A quarter would be lots.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Heck, I have permission to hunt/trap on a fellows 5 acre acerage in 248. Problem is I am worried about snaring a neighbors dog, so I'll stick to bow or rifle.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

Absolutely you can invite a trapper to trap your land! Last year I had a rancher invite me to trap his land after a pack came into the corral behind the house and killed one of his calves. I was looking for locations to trap coyotes so it worked out well for both of us. His quarter was all pasture except for a low patch of willows approximately 50 yards in diameter. With the dead calf in there I eliminated the problem coyotes in a week. I had a similar request this year but I refused because of domestic dogs in the area.

That was only 20 kms away from me though so it was worth my while. If it was 150 kms away in Athabasca, I probably wouldn't do it but if I did, I wouldn't do it for free.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

I have had four people call me and ask me to come trap coyotes this week more permmision then I can handle. I trap on one guys place with 20 acres. But he has no dogs.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:57 AM

To slightly derail the thread I wish some folks would read the response of these trappers. None would take the risk of potentially catching a dog. Even though the gain could be quite rewarding.

Back to the op. Where I'm at prairie and limited bush it is difficult for me to trap yotes on anyone's property. I pick suitable areas to set up bait stations so I can lay snares out in the limited bush. This year the yotes have been kicking my butt. If you are on flat land or have no bush or tall grass then you want a fellow that can foothold trap.